OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Not sure if you guys covered this yet, but thought it would be helpful for the the technical analysis investors. A buddy of mine whom I worked with when I was in GS IBD M&A a few years ago swore by this book and also tried to turn me onto it.

Gave it a read and it has some insightful information.

Last edited:
Been meaning to read the Nison book on my iPad for the longest time.

Starting back up:

> OCT 6

after

TCS - Container Store

>

after

YUM - Yum! Brands

> OCT 8

before

COST - Costco Wholesale
MON - Monsanto
RPM - RPM International

after

AA - Alcoa
EOPN - E2open

>

before

PEP - PepsiCo

after

ANGO - AngioDynamics
CUDA - Barracuda Networks
FDO - Family Dollar Stores
HELE - Helen of Troy
INFY - Infosys

Isshh is about to hit the fan, real soon :smh:

Not surprised to see FT being more on-top of this than the Journal. Phenomenal read.

That Metaphysics of Wall Street book by Justin Stone that Wiz posted a week or so back has a great chapter about an impending stock market crash. Titled The Devil Hindmost. It symbolically has the devil telling all of his friends and business partners that a stock market crash is coming but to not get short yet. He recommends them drumming up market positivity amongst women, and to squeeze shorts higher. He wants the market higher, as high as it can go one last time before slapping it down big time. In a way, it seems like that scenario could be playing out here. Have a plan, play the price action and follow your rules.

I haven't been able to price anything decent out with SRPT yet, and ZU I had a bid in for a 40-43 call spread for next week that never got filled. Was only bidding 15 cents since I'm not necessarily bullish this market, but if I got the right price, I'd take the long exposure.

TSLA Daily

X2izUH.png

Testing the 26 period. Gets through with that volume it could run a little. Not sure how this announcement will impact the stock, though.

Last edited:
That P2P lending article looks interesting. Never even heard of it, but it makes total sense.

Facebook closes WhatsApp purchase now worth $21.8B

Facebook completes acquisition of WhatsApp messaging service now worth $21.8 billion

NEW YORK (AP) -- Facebook has completed its acquisition of the mobile messaging service WhatsApp for almost $22 billion, up from the original $19 billion when the cash-and-stock deal was struck early this year thanks in part to the rising price of Facebook shares.

Facebook named WhatsApp co-founder and CEO Jan Koum to its board Monday. WhatsApp is by far the largest acquisition for the Menlo Park, California company, and bigger than any deals made by Google, Microsoft or Apple.

The price that Facebook was willing to pay raised eyebrows when the buyout was announced Feb. 19, though analysts agreed that landing the popular site made sense. Including cash, stock and restricted stock awarded to WhatsApp employees, the deal is worth $21.8 billion based on Facebook's stock price on Monday.

WhatsApp has been growing rapidly, especially in developing countries like Brazil, India, Mexico and Russia, and now has more than 500 million users.

WhatsApp lets users chat with their phone contacts, both one-on-one and in groups. It also allows people to send texts, photos, videos and voice recordings over the Internet and lets them text or call people overseas without heavy charges. Free to use for the first year and costing $1 per year after that, the service has no advertising.

Facebook, which has its own mobile messaging app called Messenger, plans to keep WhatsApp as a separate service.

The acquisition was approved by antitrust authority of the European Union on Friday.

Facebook's shares climbed 32 cents to $77.76 in afternoon trading on Monday.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-closes-whatsapp-purchase-now-164316179.html

Lord Jesus.

Last edited:
Lot of the solars trading under the cloud (FSLR, SCTY, SPWR).

CSIQ testing the cloud.

Stock's been fading since that yieldco run up. I'm gonna take a look at this one tomorrow and maybe grab some puts if there's some lower highs and set risk.

FWIW 1000 SPWR 32 calls for this week were just bought for a 1.19 and 1000 FSLR 63 for 1.15. Maybe the sector offers a deadcat bounce.

Decent presentation worth reading through:

http://tradetheticker.blogspot.com/2014/10/my-2014-and-2013-vegas-presentation.html

Last edited:
Lagging indicator/*****ou span is the red line.

*****ou Span Line: This line is also known as the lagging indicator. This line is the current bar’s closing price plotted 26 periods back. The lagging indicator is often used as confirmation of signals and can also serve as a support and resistance level. The lagging indicator can also assist a trader in confirming the direction and strength of trends.

Edit: wow we're so politically correct on here c h i n k o u span is the traditional name of lagging indicator
here's a definition of the other components

The Tenken-Sen Line: Short term trend line similar to a 10 period moving average. It is known as the turning line and is a signal of a region of minor support or resistance. This component is calculated by taking midpoint between the highest high and the lowest low over the past 9 periods.

The Kinjun-Sen Line: Known as the confirmation line. This component also serves as a signal for support and resistance levels. Many traders use this line as a level for a trailing stop. It also serves as an indicator of trend. If price is above the Kinjun-Sen Line then the stock is in bullish territory, likewise if it is below the line it is in bearish territory. This line is calculated by taking the midpoint between the highest high and the lowest low over the past 26 periods.

Senkou Span A: This line forms one of the boundaries of the ‘Cloud.’ If the stock is trading above the line then the line will serve as a major support level. If price is below this line it will serve as a level of major resistance. This component is calculated by taking the average of the Tenkan-Sen and Kinjun-Sen lines. This line is unique in that the results of this calculation are plotted 26 periods ahead. This means that today’s Senkou Span A line was actually plotted 26 days ago.

Senkou Span B: This line forms the other boundary of the ‘Cloud.’ This line serves as a second level of support or resistance and is calculated by taking the midpoint between the highest high and the lowest low over the past 52 periods. Like the Senkou Span A line, this is also plotted 26 periods ahead. This line is similar to a 50% Fibonacci retracement.

Kumo: This is the shaded area, located between the Senkou Span A and Senkou Span B lines, that is used to form ‘the Cloud’ itself.

this is a decent quick read on the basics of the cloud

Andy sent me this link
http://jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com/2014/10/gold-and-silver-divergence.html
Interesting reading through it seeing the disconnect between paper selling and increased silver supplies.

Last edited:
anytime man.

the cloud could seem noisy at first (i sure as hell thought it was when i first came across it) but it has its benefits. i mean, everyone uses 20, 50, 200 day sma's i feel like there's no edge in there. same with macd and all these old wall ta tools. that's why i use the ichimoku cloud. it's something different and it connects with me. i really like how it has Japanese roots as well. love that culture.

just remember on an intraday basis, the cloud works best with trending stocks (not trading range stocks i.e. GE). on the daily however, i feel like it holds the most weight overall and could be used with any equity. just look to the left to get a feel of the past experiences that stock has had with the cloud.

AK's said you could trade forex using the cloud and the 4 hour bar, but I've never played the forex game so i have no experiences with it there.

also it's good to know and be aware of a stock's vwap. sometimes those algos get turned on and vwap becomes a magnet when a stock has been selling off all day. have seen this on friday's a decent amount.

Last edited:
Will definitely read this... Very interesting as I skim through it. Hopefully I can get into some detailed discussion with you guys. All I do is lurk and read everyone's opinions. Been investing for a couple years now, but I sold some properties last week and would like to add more.

SODA getting canned :x glad I used a call spread to play the takeover idea.

SPY

42kEnE.png

Lagging indicator failed to break the cloud to the upside. Let's see if it breaks to the downside and we close beneath the cloud a couple of days in a row.

Ideal would be a move up to that red trend line that peaks out for me to enter some shorts.

FWIW

Copperfield Research @CopperfieldRscr · 11m 11 minutes ago
$GPRO is not what it seems. Great product, great chart... But accounting has yet to be fleshed out well. Still working through details.
Reply0 replies Retweet3 retweets3 Favorite1 favorite1
More
Copperfield Research @CopperfieldRscr · 12m 12 minutes ago
You see, we believe $GPRO has used accounting gimmickry to overstate EBITDA by at least 10%. Very aggressive. @CitronResearch

could still squeeze so have a plan or short with set risk.

Last edited:
Markets tend to pop after midterm elections I really don't see much of a reason to sell right now. 

/ES 1890.25 is the low if broken will signal a change in trend for the S&P. We are about 40pts away from that now

Here's a screenshot of the KOTM earnings trading plan:

From what I've learned, you want weeklies and you wanna use the at the money straddle to determine where the market maker is implying the stock could move. Get your upside target, downside target, and then look to create a spread that works in your favor. Then make sure you manage the position by expiration so you don't get assigned stock. They sell half at a double and let the rest rise to the expiration date. I personally just close my spreads as quickly as I can if I'm right.

Downside target = straddle price - strike.
Upside target = straddle price + strike.

If you're using a dollar wide spread, you wanna pay max .30 per 1 lot since the most your spread will be worth is a buck.

They usually put these trades on around 330 so you're not jumping into something too early.

Problem with this is there's no way of getting out of it if you're wrong so only gamble what you could afford to lose.

They put on a TSLA call butterfly yesterday for the event tomorrow 265-270-275. Gonna take a look at that later today and see how the price action in TSLA is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom