***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

I had a few questions for ya'll more familiar with tats and artists in the LA area:

First off, I am interested in getting like a half sleeve, black and white. I pretty much know the exact concept I would like to get, but not the exact art or design.

I was wonder do artists like when you give them a concept and allow them to express their artistic interpretation of your concept or do they appreciate it more when you just give them something to basically copy on to a stencil? Does it cost more for the prior?

Secondly, how much am I looking at to spend for a good black and white half sleeve? If it helps to know, the concept focuses around 2 individuals, so basically they would be tatting on two full figures onto my arm, a man and a woman, head to toe. Of course with some extras, but this would be the bulk of the work and design.

Lastly, in the LA/socal area to whom should I be looking at for such a design?

Thanks in advance for infos. :D

I had a few questions for ya'll more familiar with tats and artists in the LA area:
First off, I am interested in getting like a half sleeve, black and white. I pretty much know the exact concept I would like to get, but not the exact art or design.
I was wonder do artists like when you give them a concept and allow them to express their artistic interpretation of your concept or do they appreciate it more when you just give them something to basically copy on to a stencil? Does it cost more for the prior?

Depends on the artist. Unless they think your design is dumb more times than not an artist loves having artistic freedom. It shouldn't cost more as you will usually pay for a consultation but that money should go towards the final price.

Secondly, how much am I looking at to spend for a good black and white half sleeve? If it helps to know, the concept focuses around 2 individuals, so basically they would be tatting on two full figures onto my arm, a man and a woman, head to toe. Of course with some extras, but this would be the bulk of the work and design.

For an average half sleeve to a nice quality one you can expect to pay between $1500 - $3500. That's not a full wrapped around half sleeve either but just one side of your arm. If you want below average you can easily get it done for $800 - $1500

Lastly, in the LA/socal area to whom should I be looking at for such a design?
Thanks in advance for infos. :D

For black and grey work LA is pretty much the place to be. For the design you described I would first contact:
Carlos Torres, Jun Cha, Jose Lopez, Nikko Hurtado, or Steve Soto.

All these people have very long waitlists and definitely charge on the higher end on top of being hard to get in contact with.

But honesty just hit up these shops and you'll find decent Black and Grey artists in each of them:
Black Anchor Collective, Goodfellas Tattoo, and Timeline Gallery

Ahh yess a new tattoo thread.

I wouldnt want anyone else but Fong to create it.

Im starting my left art this winter, so far I got a rough quote from Rodrigo Melo from Northstar Tattoo. $250 an hour/$4500-5000 for an arm/chest piece. He has openings in November which I am most likely going to book unless I can find another Japanese artist in NYC. Im very particular with Japanese art, theres a lot of pieces I look but I only like a few artist's work. The only other tattoo artist whos Japanese work I like is Horizakura from NY Adorned but I know he will charge an arm and leg. Fong, you know any other artists? I dont like Troy Dennings work, Mike Rubendalls, or Rodrigo Gonzalez' works either. They do beautiful tattoos, just not the kind of Japanese I would want.

Anyone goin up to Cow Palace tat convention this weekend? Wife n i are goin... maybe try to lock somethin down to get my full sleeve done. Ive never been to this type of convention before.

I need some new ink. I've been itching for something for a little while now... :smh:

Anyone goin up to Cow Palace tat convention this weekend? Wife n i are goin... maybe try to lock somethin down to get my full sleeve done. Ive never been to this type of convention before.
I might hit it up. I wouldn't recommend going there and getting a tattoo though unless you're already booked with an artist. All decent artists book clients months or weeks before the convention. Especially if you want a full sleeve.

Depends on the artist. Unless they think your design is dumb more times than not an artist loves having artistic freedom. It shouldn't cost more as you will usually pay for a consultation but that money should go towards the final price.
For an average half sleeve to a nice quality one you can expect to pay between $1500 - $3500. That's not a full wrapped around half sleeve either but just one side of your arm. If you want below average you can easily get it done for $800 - $1500
For black and grey work LA is pretty much the place to be. For the design you described I would first contact:
Carlos Torres, Jun Cha, Jose Lopez, Nikko Hurtado, or Steve Soto.
All these people have very long waitlists and definitely charge on the higher end on top of being hard to get in contact with.
But honesty just hit up these shops and you'll find decent Black and Grey artists in each of them:
Black Anchor Collective, Goodfellas Tattoo, and Timeline Gallery

Really appreciate the info.

I doubt my concept would be considered dumb lol. At least I hope not. >D

I'm look into those artists and those shops though. Thanks :D

Nice dia de los muertos avy. :smokin

Last edited:
If you're looking at Jun Cha or any of those popular artist they are usually booked a year out and have a crazy deposit. Just keep that in mind

Need to think of some designs...I want a full sleeve on my right arm. Concept is shaky right now so I'll hold off till I know exactly what I want.

I want a chest tattoo. Can somebody post up some sick chest tattoos?
Are you going for a full chest tattoo or just one side? I'm a fan of the full chest tattoos that have some sort of symmetrical design with something in the center to anchor down the piece.

Ahh yess a new tattoo thread.

I wouldnt want anyone else but Fong to create it.

Im starting my left art this winter, so far I got a rough quote from Rodrigo Melo from Northstar Tattoo. $250 an hour/$4500-5000 for an arm/chest piece. He has openings in November which I am most likely going to book unless I can find another Japanese artist in NYC. Im very particular with Japanese art, theres a lot of pieces I look but I only like a few artist's work. The only other tattoo artist whos Japanese work I like is Horizakura from NY Adorned but I know he will charge an arm and leg. Fong, you know any other artists? I dont like Troy Dennings work, Mike Rubendalls, or Rodrigo Gonzalez' works either. They do beautiful tattoos, just not the kind of Japanese I would want.

You don't like Rubendalls work? I guess you are trying to go really traditional with your Japanese tattoo. I guess his style is more American Japanese, if that makes sense. He did this dragon below and I just thought it was awesome. The clouds and waves almost seem to blend in with some bio-mechanical stuff.
0ebb88d0e8a211e186b922000a1c8662_7.jpg

But honestly I don't really know that many east coast tattoo artists. Maybe someone else can chime in with info on that. If you can make you way to the west coast though, I would check out Yutaro Sakai at Skull and Swords. I went with Lango but in hindsight with what I actually wanted, I would have gone with him.

I would recommend just going there to check out shops but to not get tattooed there. There are so many legit shops in SF and yet, none of those guys go to the Cow Palace convention. Plus since they do stuff on spot, I feel like they rush things. My friend got a tattoo there and it looked horrible.

Thanks.. that's the wifey. In a year or two I'll have that picture tattooed on my ribcage.

orly? :pimp:

My original concept incorporated art of dia de los muertos in it, but I drifted away from it because other aspects of my life seemed more appropriate and powerful. I'll always appreciate and adore the artwork though.

Last edited:
 had gotten this about 2 years ago tatted on my left rib cage, also i got my right rib cage tatted i will take a pic of that later on today... this one is a picture of a zombie like dude ripping threw my flesh

I might hit it up. I wouldn't recommend going there and getting a tattoo though unless you're already booked with an artist. All decent artists book clients months or weeks before the convention. Especially if you want a full sleeve.

Ya - I was just planning on scheduling one, not getting one done at the event -

I love this thread and all of the inspiration it spawns.

Looking to get my first tat soon. :smokin

had gotten this about 2 years ago tatted on my left rib cage, also i got my right rib cage tatted i will take a pic of that later on today... this one is a picture of a zombie like dude ripping threw my flesh

This is an awesome piece

Yutaro has some SICK stuff. I am going to SF in November, but no way will I have enough time/days to finish a full sleeve and flying back and forth is out of the question. Thats just too much money. I really love Rodrigo Melo's work, ill probably just stick to him.

On another note, I checked out Saved Tattoo's website and they have hands down the best collection of artists here in the NYC area. Maybe its also the way they have their site constructed, most tattoo sites are terrible to navigate and such. Im thinking of getting a Valkyrie or native indian head on my chest too before I get my left arm done (have some play money) and im thinking of going to one of those gentleman there. Any recommendation on which person?

^

If you recall Fong, Chris O'Donnell was in one of the Tattoo Age documentaries. He wasnt the focal point, but he did have air time. I dont remember which artist's video he was featured in, I think it may have been Daniel Santoro.

Smith Street Tattoo (Santoro's workplace in BK) also does great work for anyone looking for good traditional tattoos. I myself have a piece from Santoro.

^

If you recall Fong, Chris O'Donnell was in one of the Tattoo Age documentaries. He wasnt the focal point, but he did have air time. I dont remember which artist's video he was featured in, I think it may have been Daniel Santoro.

Smith Street Tattoo (Santoro's workplace in BK) also does great work for anyone looking for good traditional tattoos. I myself have a piece from Santoro.

Haha...just read your sig finally. What up 10 Piece. Didn't even know it was you.

And yeah.....I remember him and follow in on Instragram as well. I think he was in all 3 documentries aside from Freddy Corbin. Actually, I just realized those three are from the East Coast, even though Troy Denning did a lot of work in SF. Actually watching Santoro's documentry literally made me love old school america style tattoos. If I start getting wreckless about my tattoos, I am definitely going to get one somewhere. I've even seen some sleeves online that's all old school style and wonder why no one ever gets it like that.

Edit: This dude Clae Welch is sick and has a nice old school bud different style:

6697b222bf5d11e1b2fe1231380205bf_7.jpg
47569094665311e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg
c527a8ee10ec11e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg
d5c2de545a6511e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg
7299b49a5b2f11e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg
b97b38785eb011e180c9123138016265_7.jpg
a6df1f9a61ee11e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom