*OFFICIAL* The Roots - undun (Dec. 6) (9 min. Short Film)

This #*@$ right here
pimp.gif

[font='Helvetica Neue', Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]^dope! How I Got Over sounded like one good long song (except the last two joints) all the way thru. Every song flowed so well. Very excited for this.
[/font]
Krizzle tho..

i'd give it all for a peace of mind, for heaven's sake

my heart so heavy that the ropes that hold my casket break

cause everything that wasn't for me i had to chase...i had to take...

Shouldnt have listened
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Now I'm gonna have this on my mind for 2 months, getting more and more anxious for Undun to drop.

The Roots are the only musical act that I buy their album on release date every time without listening to any songs on the album before purchase.

Good read by Questlove on the album: http://www.huffingtonpost...ots-album_b_1105719.html

[h1]undun': The Story Of A Gifted Black Youth Unravels[/h1]
Unwritten and unraveled the deadman's pedantic...
--Black Thought, "Make My" from
undun

We've known many kids over the years just like Redford Stephens, the semi-fictional protagonist whose brief life (1974-1999) informs the narrative underpinning of our new album, undun. Redford is the prototypical urban kid -- young, gifted, black, and unraveling before our eyes. Too volatile to embrace, we wait for the shot clock to count down their demise.

There's a certainty to this specific brand of premature black-tinged expiry, and yet, it always catches us off guard.

A few months ago, in the midst of our "30 Rock" grind, a segment producer pops in our rehearsal room and says, "Hey guys, we need something special for this Kristin Wiig sketch -- something upbeat!" Before I can respond, I feel the smartphone vibrating in my pocket. I check it. And in the surreal waltz that is my everyday life, I've been informed that my man Lil' Mark back in Philly is no more. I tuck away the emotions that are rushing to the surface, finish the requested 'upbeat' ditty in A major and keep it moving.

What it do? Where does it move to -- the slow motion of feeling that stops... dead in its tracks, like Soulja Slim in Gentilly?

The Tuskegee Institute in Alabama recorded 3,446 lynchings of black folks between 1882 and 1968. As Kanye reminds us, the number of black folks murdered by black folks in Chicago over, say the last 20 years, is well over 10,000. Nice work if you can get it, and clearly you can get it if you try. Just ask Lil' Mark's moms or countless other mothers knee-deep in grief and funeral wreaths.

It's almost cliché now.

Redford is the personification of the Nietzchean abyss gazing into my generational cohorts and me. With undun we hoped to give voice to an imagined internal dialogue that could take place as a deceased black youth looks forward into our post-modern void.

The confluence of hypercapitalism's manufactured desire (shout out to Thorstein Veblen), the bankrupt currency of perceived black cool (shout out to Steve Stoute), the hobbled nexus of negation and assimilation (shout out to a Lincoln-channeling Obama), is not a sometime thing and needs must when the devil drives.

Here are some snapshots of Redford's head caught mid-dialectic:

"Sleep"
Redford disoriented post mortem

I've lost a lot of sleep to dreams
And I do not miss them
I wouldn't wish them on the worst of enemies
Let them burn, go from here
Like when autumn leaves
-- Aaron Livingston

To catch a thief
Who stole the soul I prayed to keep
-- Black Thought

"Make My"
Redford in the throes of death

Tryna control the fits of panic
Unwritten and unraveled
The dead man's pedantic
Whatever...
See it's really just a matter of semantics
When everybody's fresh out of collateral to damage
-- Black Thought

I did it all for the money Lord
It's what it seems
But in the world of night terrors--it's
Hard to dream
They hollering cash rules everything
-- Big K.R.I.T.

"One Time"
Redford figuring on his mortality and showing signs of experiencing remorse.

I wonder when you die do you hear harps and bagpipes
If you born on the other side of the crack pipe
#%##%* learn math just to understand the crack price
Then drive in head first like the jack knife
Cause out here, yo you #%##%* can't belly flop
If you wanna make the noise inside your belly stop
-- Dice Raw

Man, I guess if I was ever lucky it was one time
Then I went missing looking for the sublime
A +*%*$ stayed low, left the ladder unclimbed
Time after time, verse blank, the line unrhymed
-- Black Thought

"Tip The Scale"
Redford's will to power

Picture me living life as if I'm some animal
That consumes it's own dreams like I'm a cannibal
I won't accept failure unless it's mechanical...
-- Black Thought

I got a brother on the run and one in
Wrote me a letter he said when you comin
!%$@ man I thought the goals to stay out
Back against the wall
Then shoot your way out
--Dice Raw

Album is streaming on a German website but you have to have the "Stealthy" firefox add-on to listen to it. I just finished one listen of the album and its absolutely amazing. I have to give it a few more listens but its a definite AOTY candidate.

the only concert i have ever been to in my life was the roots. if i die with just 1 concert under my belt, i can die happy lol.

song is so fire. their album is def gonna be serious. but what else is new right?

Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

They're on another level creatively than 99.9% of the game....they haven't sold out, made a mockery of themselves, etc...they stayed true to who they are and it's appreciated. Can't wait for 12/6. As always, this is a project I'll support.

Great post and the truth!

Anyone that can, should drop that $10 for this. Money to keep a good cause going. We all We got.

I have been playing this album all day and it is just simply amazing. Great lyrics, production, the album flows well and the concept was executed beautifully!! There are no weak tracks! 5/5 in my book!

Is it me or does Black Thought make everyone else in the rap industry sound like trash?  Dude knows how to stay consistent and on point every album.  Album of the year for me with Charity Starts at Home at second.

Originally Posted by K1ll0rBeK1lled

Is it me or does Black Thought make everyone else in the rap industry sound like trash?  Dude knows how to stay consistent and on point every album.  Album of the year for me with Charity Starts at Home at second.

QuestLove has said this a bunch of times...basically dudes don't want him on tracks and they don't get that many features cause Tariq (Black Thought) just utterly DUMPS on the mic.
This could be in the running for album of the year. 

Quick Review? 

Classic.

i'll be surprised if it doesnt win any awards. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by K1ll0rBeK1lled

QuestLove has said this a bunch of times...basically dudes don't want him on tracks and they don't get that many features cause Tariq (Black Thought) just utterly DUMPS on the mic.
This could be in the running for album of the year. 

Quick Review? 

Classic.

i'll be surprised if it doesnt win any awards. 

B Thought is on another level lyrically from most dudes and is a Top 5 MC in my book as well as the most underrated/overlooked MC.

Easily an AOTY candidate and I do not like throwing the word classic around loosely but I felt Game Theory was a classic after my first few listens and I feel the same way about this album. Just pure dopeness from beginning to end.

Back
Top Bottom