OFFICIAL THE WIRE THREAD.. ''The game is the game"

You appreciate Season 2 more once you re-watch the series.

From a basic television watching experience once you finish the first season, you look forward to the second season to get the answers to any lingering questions.

You go into Season 2 hoping to see more of the Barksdale story and then you get a completely different story and you just rebel against it. I know I did my first time watching the Wire.

From a basic television watching experience once you finish the first season, you look forward to the second season to get the answers to any lingering questions.

You go into Season 2 hoping to see more of the Barksdale story and then you get a completely different story and you just rebel against it. I know I did my first time watching the Wire.

spot on. A lot of people expected another street centered season but Simon said, an, let me introduce you to all the moving parts.

I can binge it every year and be in complete focus

just recently started and finished the show after putting if off for so long and i gotta say that i was initially thrown off by season 2, but after being done with the show, i have a better appreciation for it.

started reading up more on the show afterwards, analyzing stuff and whatnot, and season 2 definitely is a good one that does tie the rest of the show together. will for sure be rewatching the show again in the future and understand why the wire has been considered one of the best shows ever

Someone made a Chris Partlow sculpture :lol::nthat:

zc15qv95oxa61.jpg

True. Or capitalizing on local B More haunts. Food. Culture.

I just finished watching the show for the first time last week. Kima wasn’t real fleshed out. Just fast forwarded to her relationship souring. The set up was there. But the follow up wasn’t. Sort of how McNultty was with the harbor cop. We had one scene where he hollered and she was open.

That show probably needed one more season to nearly tie everything together.

also I hated the fake serial killer storyline. I understood McNulttys motivation but it just made no sense especially if anyone pulled the thread. It also didn’t help that he revealed it to others.

That the union one?

Though some of the themes or underlying stories were outlandish, there was definitely some social commentary on society. The systematic oppression of black people. The drug game. Human trafficking. Distortion of truth to further an agenda. The loss of youth in a war zone (it’s almost like that one African Movie with Idris Alba).

People love forcing themselves into believing season 2 was good. Sorta reminds me of Cool Grey XI’s. It may be an XI but it’s hideous.

Yeah I'm in a middle of a rewatch and season 2 wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was the first go round. I actually enjoyed it.

I think age matters when evaluating Season 2 which is why I think so many folks talk about the rewatch. I was 21 when I first watched the series. At that age, ain’t nobody tryna see a bunch of Greek dudes on a port. I’m trying to see product moved, murder, chaos and overall shenanigans. I think at an older age, I will appreciate Season 2 when I do the rewatch and I can understand why if someone older watched it for the first time, they’d say it wasn’t that bad.

But at the age a lot of us watched it the first time? We were about that action and Season 2 wasn’t it :lol:

That the union one?

Though some of the themes or underlying stories were outlandish, there was definitely some social commentary on society. The systematic oppression of black people. The drug game. Human trafficking. Distortion of truth to further an agenda. The loss of youth in a war zone (it’s almost like that one African Movie with Idris Alba).
That’s the one. The way the whole case comes together is absolutely outlandish. But all the themes are real.

There’s also the disappearance of manufacturing and union jobs from traditionally blue collar towns like Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. There’s the writing on the wall that the shipping union is dying. There’s a scene where Frank and Spiros are meeting and Spiros looks out across the water and Spiros says, “They used to make steel there, no?” He’s talking about Bethlehem Steel, which used to employ 30,000 and now doesn’t exist (my grandfather worked there).

There’s gentrification. They referenced how the Grain pier could be targeted for condo development (later in the series it is). There’s also the scene where Nicky tries to buy his aunt’s old house in Locust Point but it’s renovated and out of his price range and the realtor is advertising it as being in Federal Hill.

This is also parallel to Stringer changing the name of the dope cuz the name is no good. Then there’s the constant mention of Southern High School, which doesn’t exist anymore because they tried to rebrand it by calling it Digital Harbor High School (whatever that’s supposed to mean).

The scene with Frank and the lobbyist where the lobbyist says he was able to escape cuz his family chose college and doesn’t apologize for it.

The scene with Nicky and Frog where Nick tells him he has to be a certain way cuz he’s white. It shows the white tribalism that Nick associates himself with. He seems to get along fine with the black guys that work at the port but his view of the drug trade as just black people’s thing and his disdain for it shows he doesn’t see black people in general as equal.

These are some of the sentiments Trump targeted with all the MAGA and America First bs. Even tho it was clear when this season was made in 2003 these union jobs weren’t coming back people still cling to this hope of a return to their ‘way of life’.

Nicky’s arc also shows that its easy to scoff at those in the drug game when you’re detached from it, but it shows how easy it is to get caught up in once you see the money and think it’s the best way to improve your circumstances.

Last edited:
Like it's been said a million times in here, when you first watch the show, you're expecting more of the same from S1 in S2. Barksdale vs Cops. But it's completely different.

I don't really understand how one could not enjoy S2 on a re-watch. Since you know what's going to happen, you watch it differently. It gives you a much broader perspective of how the city works and sets the stage for everything to come.

Been years, but I would say, for having seen the entire show only once, I loved seasons 1, 2, 4 and 3 & 5 a little less

1 and 4 maybe the better ones in my opinion, 1 is perfect, you can see a lot of differences between characters like who is done for this life or not, plus eveything about cops and thugs always interesting for me, you can't got a more real topic

2 was great because totally different, and as said for the same reason it could have been frustrated for some of yours, but Nick was a good character and it brings another point of view and you realize The Wire won't be what you expected, all the seasons won't be focused only on the same thing. So it adds value to the show.

3 and 5 the ones I liked the less because if politics and medias could be interesting, it's not my cup of tea, I quite don't care a lot...

4 was great, like the 1 but differently, again you see who is made for this or not, but in two times, some play the thugs then reality hit them and they give up, others because of struggle become harder than expected, and if 1 showed us how characters were, 4 shows us how they became what they became, so 1&4 work well together like 3&5, and 2 is apart from the rest

What made the 2 great for me was dockers aren't very legal too, but you see another facet, at first in 1 you see ghetto youth, mostly Blacks, and then in 2 you see Whites, but not the usual ones we're used to, so it change perception + I got to insist on Nick, he was a great character also because he's not taking himself for a Black unlike Frog :lol:

I kind of like when I see Whites in shows that are not the usual ones, as I'm White too, and I'm tired of always see the same clichés about us :rofl:

Maybe if they sequenced season two after three or threw it at the end to tie everything together.

Honestly it made no sense to go after the Barksdale or Marlo’s crew after they ran into the actual distributor. They were trafficking and moving weight into Baltimore. Yeah...you should still stop the crime on the streets. But you can project criminal justice and law enforcement by making those kind of busts more.

And the crooked union guys fits in with season four and five.

Back
Top Bottom