OFFICIAL: TORRE IS A DODGER

Quote:
Torre succeeds Little as Dodgers manager

ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 1, 2007, 5:51 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

LOS ANGELES -- Joe Torre was hired Thursday to manage the Los Angeles Dodgers, taking the job two weeks after walking away from the New York Yankees.

Torre's contract is for three years and slightly more than $13 million, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports, citing a baseball official who has seen the deal.

Torre moved from one storied franchise to another, taking over a team that finished fourth in the NL West this season and hasn't won the World Series since 1988.

"Joe Torre is one of the most respected men in the game of baseball," said Dodger owner and chairman Frank McCourt. "As a player, a broadcaster, a manager and in his life off the field, Joe is a winner through and through. As we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Dodgers moving to Los Angeles, we will again have a Hall of Fame caliber manager at the helm. Joe's dedication, desire and ability will help lead the Dodgers to our ultimate goal -- a World Championship."

The 67-year-old Torre becomes the Dodgers' eighth manager since they moved west from Brooklyn for the 1958 season. Torre grew up in Brooklyn, rooting for the rival New York Giants and detesting the Dodgers.

"As a kid growing up, you didn't like them," Torre said on WFAN radio in New York less than an hour before the hiring was announced. "As a player, to me the Dodgers were the Yankees of the National League because ... you either loved them or you hated them."

Torre guided the Yankees to four World Series championships from 1996-2000, and they made the playoffs in all 12 years he managed them. After New York was beaten in the first round by Cleveland last month, the Yankees offered him a one-year contract with a paycut.

Insulted, Torre turned it down. Torre was hired by the Dodgers on the same day the Yankees formally introduced Joe Girardi as their manager.
sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3090266
"Sports Do Not Build Character, They Reveal It." - John Wooden
TEAM AM FAM

Good...... :smokin
smokin.gif

Team Dodgers
55 . 59 .
63 . 65 . 81 . 88
Koufax, Drysdale, Gibson, Valenzuela, Hershiser, Piazza, Loney
RAIDER NATION

And it begins. Let go dodgers!
Team Lakers1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002...

This season will shape the future of this franchise..​

teehee :smile:
smile.gif

1 for 1 this offseason with the predictions :pimp:
pimp.gif
TEAM JORGE CAMPOS
CAUTION: PUT YOUR STUNNA SHADES ON
TEAM XBOX360
.:GAMERTAG= CincoSeisDos​

Quote:
A-Rod, you're next

[lee corso] NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND! [/lee corso]

bill platsche(sp?) was just on ESPN, and he said that the Cubs and Angels are the most likely frontrunners in the A-Rod sweepstakes....

Hope A-Rod follows
WASHINGTON ********
Super Bowl Champions: XVII:XXII:XXVI
Team Washington Wizards
-Arenas-Stevenson-Butler-Jamison-Haywood-​
"My swagger was phenomenal" -Gilbert Arenas​

:smh:
smh.gif
smh.gif
TEAMYANKEES
TEAM SEMINOLES
antone smith , greg carr , preston parker ,andre fluellen ,tony carter,letroy guion , everette brown , paul griffin , geno hayes , myron rolle , marcus ball , Patrick Robinson​

:lol:
laugh.gif
if arod gonna go to cubs, more added pressure on dude - that won't go thru.

Oh yeah, I'm posting from my sidekick and you just read my sig.

Quote:
bill platsche(sp?) was just on ESPN, and he said that the Cubs and Angels are the most likely frontrunners in the A-Rod sweepstakes....
:lol:
laugh.gif
TEAM JORGE CAMPOS
TEAM XBOX360

Quote:
if you didnt know by now, anyone who works for the LA times are anti dodger ; TJ, Bill, J.A......all of who are still trying to ride on the coattails of the angels bandwagon.

so taking any of these clowns word as gospel is nothin but :lol:
laugh.gif

smh.gif
Team Clippers
TEAM SAINTS

Quote:
Torre's contract is for three years and slightly more than $13 million

Money clearly wasn't the reason why he turned down the Yankees. Dude is making less as a Dodger than the Yankees offer w/o incentives.
808. PERIOD.

20% off karmaloop.com with code: JBOAT

Quote:
Money clearly wasn't the reason why he turned down the Yankees. Dude is making less as a Dodger than the Yankees offer w/o incentives.

the way i look at it is...he took less money from a NEW team in order to prove himself to NYY that he still has what it takes.

he has no history with the dodgers to get what he was getting in NY prior to that 1 year offer.

money was the reason, aside from Motivation to stiff Hank

Quote:
why is it that because they say the truth about how the dodgers arent good, they're anti dodgers?
TEAM JORGE CAMPOS
TEAM XBOX360

:x
sick.gif

It just looks weird.

Good luck to Joe, though. :frown:
frown.gif
TEAMGIANTS|TEAMYANKEES|NYK...BASKETBALL
Team I Heart HarlemToTheBronx

Good for him. Good luck to Joe, I'll root for him unless, or should I say until we meet again in the playoffs. I'll miss him for sure as a yankee fan, the guy is just a class act all around. The way he acts makes you wanna change some stuff about yourself.
Code:
   NEW YORK JETS_TEAMYANKEES_New Jersey NetsThe next thing you know Im wearing absolutely nothing...Except for my socks..And you know when Im down to just my socks what time it is...Its BUSINESS TIME

I hope this blows up in the Yankee's faces.
TEAM CLEVELAND INDIANS
Lofton Sizemore Michaels Gutierrez Nixon Hafner
Shoppach Peralta Cabrera Gomez Blake Garko Martinez Barfield

:pimp:
pimp.gif

I have an NL team now. :lol:
laugh.gif

Will the Yanks and Dodgers be playing next year? :wow:
eek.gif
TEAMYANKEES

joe in a dodger uniform gon look hella weird
You draw, better be Picasso, you know the best
cause if this is not so, ah, god bless

Peter Gammons on ESPN, just said that it's real unlikely that the Dodgers will pay A Rod. Dude is asking for a 12 year deal, for 30 mil per year. That's insane !
Early !!!

Back
Top Bottom