Official "When did MJ wear those??" post and FAQs!!

Right thread. I just wanted to see if anyone had a pic of Mike in the OG or cements with black strings.

I was saying wrong thread for me. I didn't mean to post in here. I gotta take this off my subscriptions too

My bad! I think I'm one of the OGs to this Jordan thing and there isn't a point he ever scored in the nba or a pic I've never seen.. I was hoping someone else remembered him flipping up the 4s

Dope pic, never seen it before... Maybe wrong thread but had to post it

He took part in alotttttt of pickup, Pro-Am, and charity games in the mid-late 80's before he became kinda jaded by the whole "business" side of basketball. A lot of these events took place in North Carolina and in the Chicago area. After all these years, more footage is finally starting to surface.

That means probably way more shoes that we say he never wore on court, he might have actually worn! Great find tho thank you

I'm not sure if my eyes are decieving me or not, but if someone that is an OG head or is very knowledgeable can tell, I believe MJ wore not just an ordinary pair of Air Jordan 1's against the Knicks in 1998, if there is such a thing. I believe MJ wore the Air Jordan 1's with the sole of the 2's. I say this while watching a video on YouTube and comparing to pictures of the soles of when he came back from injury in 1986 with the Air Jordan 2 sole before there even was an Air Jordan 2. I think that would be amazing considering the soles of AJ 2's would definitely have crumbled by the time he wore this "OG pair" in 1998.

I remember they were original OG 1s. Original release from his stash. I could be wrong, but I think they did something to the shoe because they fit so tight. But they were original 1s.

I'm not sure if my eyes are decieving me or not, but if someone that is an OG head or is very knowledgeable can tell, I believe MJ wore not just an ordinary pair of Air Jordan 1's against the Knicks in 1998, if there is such a thing. I believe MJ wore the Air Jordan 1's with the sole of the 2's. I say this while watching a video on YouTube and comparing to pictures of the soles of when he came back from injury in 1986 with the Air Jordan 2 sole before there even was an Air Jordan 2. I think that would be amazing considering the soles of AJ 2's would definitely have crumbled by the time he wore this "OG pair" in 1998.

I remember they were original OG 1s. Original release from his stash. I could be wrong, but I think they did something to the shoe because they fit so tight. But they were original 1s.

Not 2 soles

100% not a model using the II Sole / Midsole...

OG or 94' Retro is uncertain...The two versions were essentially identical anyway...I'd heavily think they are OG's since they were in his original size 12.5 and not the 13.5 he was wearing at the time...Fairly certain if they were the 94' Retro's he could have gotten his actual, then current, size...But again who knows...

At any rate here is the video...

Thank you for clarifying that, I was trying to find a clear, concise and blown up pic but could not. It just looked odd at some angles and the video I was just casually watching on YouTube. I do wish they would drop the AJ 1 with Nike Air and the 2 midsole, that would be insane lol. BTW how in the world did he keep those that fresh if they were OG, even in 1998, did he have some sort of space age chamber or something? lol

Wasnt it when he was coming bacck from a broken foot he wore the 1 with a Ace '83 or some other shoes sole?

Besides the excel all star game are there any other vids/pics of mike rocking the oh so legendary shadow 1's?

Besides the excel all star game are there any other vids/pics of mike rocking the oh so legendary shadow 1's?

I can't recall ever seeing any other pics and / or video's outside of the 1985 Excel All Star Game with MJ actually wearing the Shadow's...I'd love to see them though if they are around...

Wasnt it when he was coming bacck from a broken foot he wore the 1 with a Ace '83 or some other shoes sole?

MJ wore a couple different altered versions of the 1's following the foot injury...

When he did make it back, in time for the Playoffs, Nike laced him with these since his foot was still healing...

Nike also had these made up...Clearly Nike was looking to give MJ a little extra cushion so this, I'm sure, was basically a wear test sample to see how MJ would like what they were planning for the II's...Also notice the, what looks to be a polyurethane insole, from the pics I posted above)...Obviously MJ wanted more cushioning...

Then there was these from the famous 63 point game 2 against Boston in the Playoffs...Dunk sole...

Also, a little off topic but still pretty cool and relevant to MJ's foot injury...Like the video I posted last week said, MJ started his playing day's wearing a 12.5 then changed over time into a 13.5...The reason for this was his broken foot...He returned to playing before it could fully heal back to normal and this caused it to be slightly larger than it was prior to the break...While I was looking for the photos regarding this I came across these as well...For the 1986 Playoffs MJ was wearing one size 13 and one size 13.5 shoe (This is the pair that had the built in ankle brace)...I completely forgot about this until I started looking for these sample pictures...

Here is what I have saved on my PC...There is a ton more info though that goes more into detail...I think there was a thread someplace in there that covered this topic a few years back but I cant seem to find it...Anyway here is what I've got...

The shoes were apparently banned on October 18, 1984 as stated in this letter from then NBA Executive Vice President Russell Granik to the then Nike VP Rob Strasser...Self explanitory really but notice it doesen't define the model of shoe only saying "red and black NIKE basketball shoes"...

Since MJ's first official game was against the Washington Bullets on October 26, 1984 it's obvious that the shoe ban came down during the preseason...That schedule looked like this...

10/5 Bulls 102, Ind 98 @ Peoria
10/7 Bulls 107, KC 100 @ St. Louis
10/9 Bulls 100, Mil 97 @ E Chcago
10/13 Bucks 99, Bulls 84 @ Milw
10/15 Bulls 91, NY 90 @ Glens Falls
10/18 Bulls 112, NY 93 @ NY
10/19 Kings 103, Bulls 89 @ Chicago

That being said there are only a handful of published photos taken of MJ during his first preseason in the NBA...These are the ones that are most widely circulated...The Indiana Pacers pictures are from his actual first NBA game on October 5, 1984...Notice on his feet are a pair of white / red Air Ship's...Apparently he wore the air ships more through the 1984 85' season as this picture also has him laceed during a game with the Suns...

Now going by that list above we can all assume that since the Bulls played the Knicks on October 18, 1984 then that's where the shoe ban took place correct...Well not really...Video of the game shows him wearing a pair of mostly white sneakers with red around the ankle...Can't 100% say it's the ships but it's looks almost certain...What we can say though is that they were not a pair of "red and black NIKE basketball shoes"...

But hold on...The Bulls also matched up against the Knicks on October, 15 1984 and when you track down a picture of that game...Well see for yourself's...

Clearly not Jordan 1's...Best guesses are the Air Ships which are the leading candidates or the Air Train II's...
Did Jordan ever wear the Jordan 1 black and red on court ? or was it just a marketing ploy ?

Back
Top Bottom