Okafor rejects $13 mil/yr extension, wants more...

www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/344910.html
Quote:
While the Bobcats' contract offer was attractive, it wasn't sufficient for Okafor to accept.

A source familiar with the discussions confirmed the Bobcats offered nearly $13 million a season, which would have made Okafor the highest-paid player in team history.

The source said Okafor wanted something approaching the five-year, $85 million maximum contract Dwight Howard signed with the Orlando Magic in July.

Howard and Okafor were the first and second picks respectively in the 2004 draft.

Under NBA rules, the Bobcats have to table negotiations with Okafor until he reaches restricted free agency in July. However, there are numerous opportunities for them to re-sign Okafor before he'd become an unrestricted free agent in summer 2009.

Even if Okafor reaches unrestricted free agency, the Bobcats could offer him more guaranteed years, with higher annual raises, than any other NBA team.

Bobcats vice president Bernie Bickerstaff said the team's owners are prepared to pay what it takes to retain top talent. In June, the Bobcats traded for shooting guard Jason Richardson, inheriting a contract that pays more than $11 million a season.

"All through these negotiations, Michael (Jordan, the managing partner) and Bob (Johnson, the principal owner) have conveyed they have no problem paying" what a player is worth, Bickerstaff said. "We hope they play that well. But until they reach that point, the players have to share the risk" that they'll reach their potential going forward.

Okafor is key to the Bobcats, primarily for his shot-blocking. When he was injured for a month last season, the Bobcats' defense fell apart, ending what limited chance they had of making the playoffs.

However, Okafor has yet to reach All-Star status, as Howard has in Orlando.

Bickerstaff said that while negotiations with Okafor's agent, Jeff Schwartz, didn't produce an agreement, there was nothing rancorous that would foreshadow problems.

Zero Tolerance

:smh:
smh.gif
TEAM ME > YOUTeam American MusclePSN ID: ohsnapsMyspace

:lol:
laugh.gif
Quote:
Al Jefferson gets $65-million deal from Wolves, says he's not worth max deal

MINNEAPOLIS - Al Jefferson could have waited until next summer to sign a contract extension with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

In fact, that was what his agent advised him to do, hoping that a big season and his status as a restricted free agent would have brought the 22-year-old power forward the highest contract allowable under league rules.

Jefferson ignored that advice and signed a US$65-million, five-year deal just before the deadline Wednesday night. In the era of "Show me the money!" and "bling bling," Jefferson's reason was stunningly humble.

"I didn't even think I was worth max (money) this year anyway," Jefferson said at a press conference on Thursday. "I would've been a fool to go up there and ask for max, having not really proved myself for that. So the number I got was the number that was my goal from Day 1. And I think it was a win, win situation."

:smokin
smokin.gif
Thats what Im talkin about Al :lol:
laugh.gif
You're the Kind of Girl a Guy Like Me
Could Hypnotize​

13 mil for playing in about 42 games a year.... thats pretty darn good.

He is not worth Al Jefferson money. He has the same skills as Al, but injuries play a MAJOR factor. Should have taken the 13 mil.
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.​
.:: We Aint Scurred of the C's ::.
TEAM PRARIE BOYZ​

yeah dude is nuts.

juniors walking around thinking they're too bug for their britches.

whatever happened to paying dues?
TEAMGIANTS
TEAMNEWYORKMETS​
TEAMNEWYORKKNICKS​

Quote:
okafor is not even worth Al Jefferson money if you dont know when he is ever gonna be on the court with all his injuries
DALLAS MAVERICKS
Charging into the Playoffs
Ager, Barea, Buckner, Croshere, Dampier, Diop, George, Harris, Howard, Ilunga-Mbenga, Mensah-Bonsu, Nowitzki, Stackhouse, Terry​

If he plays 75+ games this year, he might be worth it.

If not, good luck.

Quote:
Al Jefferson gets $65-million deal from Wolves, says he's not worth max deal
Team Lakers1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002
This season will shape the future of this franchise..​

Al Jefferson got the deal he got because of potential + the T-Wolves needed to lock him up because he was the centerpiece of the KG deal. If they let him walk, it would have been disasterous.

But Al Jefferson has a lot of upside. A lot of room for improvement. He could pan out to become one of the bigger big men in the game.

With Okafor though, we know what he's all about. Defense, and that's pretty much it. His offensive game is nothing to write home about. What you see is what you get in his case.

And that's if he stays healthy.

To turn down $13M is crazy on his part.

He should have took it and laughed all the way to the bank.

He better hope he stays healthy again, or dude is going to be kicking himself, word to Bonzi, since nobody is going to offer him anything close to that kind of money.

HoustonRockets
FRANCIS - MCGRADY - YAO​

Al should've waited til this offseason and went back to Beantown, kinda like what Ryan Gomes is gonna do

^^ because boston would have the money to sign him?? if Okafor stays on the floor this year he will get more money at the end of the season, key is staying heathly

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!
TEAMCOWBOYS

Marcus Camby 2.0

it's sad to see my countrymen @#%$ up like this...

but seriously if he ever plays a full season i see late bloomer status in his future, tons of DPOY
TeamCanada
THE FAMILY​
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors|::.​

Quote:
:lol:
laugh.gif
I love how these guys think they deserve max money because of where they were drafted. This is one of the problems with the NBA though, you are often forced to pay close to max money for guys who havent even been an all star yet, but "may" someday.

True.

Okafor ain't no Al Jefferson OR Dwight Howard, yet he wants max or near max money, even though he hasn't even proven he can stay healthy enough to be productive for a full season?

Please. :smh:
smh.gif
:stoneface:
indifferent.gif
"Sports Do Not Build Character, They Reveal It." - John Wooden
TEAM AM FAM

players deserve to milk these franchises for all that they are worth.

don't mess with another mans money. if al if willing to play for less money......fine.

but if someone offers you a 100k job, but you negotiate down to say 75k because thats all you think you are worth.....well i think thats just dumb.

let the gm's figure out the salary figure. if they're willing to pay you that much, or overpay....then don't be mad at the players or the agents for getting that money.
///
TEAM LAKERS
teamdecepticon
T R A N S F O R M E R S​

Quote:
let the gm's figure out the salary figure. if they're willing to pay you that much, or overpay....then don't be mad at the players or the agents for getting that money.
HoustonRockets
FRANCIS - MCGRADY - YAO​

Okafor is banking on the idea that he'll stay relatively healthy the whole year so he can earn a max deal. That's risk he's taking. If Okafor goes down again, that $13 mil would have looked real nice in his bank account.
And I'd like to add that I miss season threads.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Azubuike - Barnes - Belinelli - Biedrins - Croshere - Davis - Ellis
Harrington - Hudson - Jackson - Lasme - O'Bryant - Perovic - Pietrus - Wright

Quote:
presequel

Quote:
"Sports Do Not Build Character, They Reveal It." - John Wooden
TEAM AM FAM

I think a big part of this is the franchise as a whole. We'll see how this pays out but I don't think money is the primary reason.
808. PERIOD.

20% off karmaloop.com with code: JBOAT

Back
Top Bottom