One legged man steals Nike trainer from store. Right or Wrong?

[h1]short version:
[/h1][h1]
[/h1][h1]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sidelinechatter/2011323092_chat12.html
[/h1][h1]
[/h1][h1]Tempted to steal a Nike? Just don't do it[/h1]
AmputeePhil Moore — angered when employees at Sports Direct in Barnsley,England, refused to sell him a single Nike sneaker for half the cost ofa pair — snatched a size-9 from the display stand and tried to make arun for it.

Dwight Perry

The Seattle Times

Looks like this crime got off on the wrong foot.

Amputee Phil Moore — angered when employees at Sports Direct inBarnsley, England, refused to sell him a single Nike sneaker for halfthe cost of a pair — snatched a size-9 from the display stand and triedto make a run for it.

He didn't get far on his crutches.

"Everyone thinks it's funny, and my friends have given me some realstick and still haven't stopped laughing," Moore, 48, told the LondonDaily Mail. "I don't mind them having a giggle, but ... amputees shouldbe able to buy one shoe.

"If they had allowed me to do that, then I'd never have got arrested in the first place."
[h1]longer version:[/h1]
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...egged-man-stole-trainer-Nobody-sell-shoe.html
[h1]Heard the one about the one-legged man who stole a trainer? Nobody would sell him one shoe
[/h1]
By Chris Brooke
Last updated at 11:04 AM on 09th March 2010

article-0-08A095E7000005DC-460_233x624.jpg

Thief: One-legged Phil Moore was caught as he escaped on crutches

When you've got one leg, shoe shopping turns into a very frustrating experience.

As amputee Phil Moore discovered, nobody will sell just one shoe and he always has to buy a pair and throw the left one out.

But the jobless engineer's anger at this 'rip off' has left himon the wrong side of the law after he was convicted of stealing asingle Nike trainer.

After his attempts to buy one shoe failed, 48-year-old Mooretook the size nine trainer from a display stand at his local sportsstore and hobbled out on his crutches without paying.

Unfortunately, another handicap with having one leg is that it's impossible to make a quick getaway.

He was quickly spotted and arrested by police who were alerted by staff at Sports Direct in Barnsley.

Officers followed Moore for a mile before stopping him as he boarded a bus with the stolen right shoe in his bag.

The father of two said yesterday: 'I know I shouldn't have doneit - but people like me are being ripped off all the time by the shoecompanies and all the big retailers.'

He was last month fined £65 and ordered to pay £100 costsafter admitting theft when he appeared at Barnsley Magistrates' Court.

Moore, who lost his leg to septicaemia seven years ago, added:'I've written to Nike and Adidas explaining that I didn't need a leftshoe and asking if they would sell me just one trainer instead of two,but they weren't interested and told me that I had to buy a pair likeeveryone else.

'I got really annoyed about the whole situation and it allcame to a head when I went into the shop and saw the right shoe sittingthere on the display stand.'

Moore said that he has tried to argue his case with retailers in the past.

'I'vebeen in all the shoe shops in town and pleaded with them to sell me oneshoe at half the price, but none of them wanted to know.

'I was just fed up of buying two shoes and then having tothrow the left one away. It seemed stupid - and that's what got me intothis trouble in the first place.

'I shouldn't have stolen the shoe. I realise that now. But Ionly did it because it seemed so unfair having to fork out £52.99 for apair when I only wanted one.'

Moore hasn't been able to work since surgeons amputated his legabove the knee at Sheffield's Northern General Hospital in 2003.

'I developed septic arthritis in my hip afterwards so Icouldn't wear an artificial limb, that's why I'm still on my crutchesneeding one shoe instead of two,' he said.

'I tried to explain to the police what it was all about when they arrested me.

'I thought they might be a bit lenient when I told them why I'dtaken just the one shoe but it didn't seem to count for anything. Theyjust took back the trainer, stuck me in a cell for a couple of hoursand then charged me with theft.'

Moore's friends have been poking fun at him since they heard about the escapade.

He added: 'Everyone thinks it's funny, and my friends have given me some real stick and still haven't stopped laughing.

'I don't mind them having a giggle but I do think that peoplelike me ought to get a better deal from the big shoe makers and theshops.

'Amputees should be able to buy one shoe. If they had allowedme to do that then I'd never have got arrested in the first place.'

Close friend Alan Hawksworth, 43, said: 'Phil doesn't go roundstealing. It was just a case of him getting all uptight about having tobuy two shoes.'

Well the act is definitely wrong but sympathy needs to be given to those in such unfortunate circumstances by retailers....I believe Nike, in line with with Corporate Social Responsibility should have some provisions/help, order number for such persons in such situations rather than ignore them or tell them basically "u can't wear our shoes cuz u're abnormal....you need two feet!" Would that mean Paraolympic athletes can't get outfitted with Nike gear!? That's discrimination and denying people of their rights to purchase. True maybe in the retail store that wasn't possible as they're just following regular sales guidelines and basically cuz they maybe haven't been trained for such situations as it's not common...but something should be put in place.

Again the act is dead wrong and funny, especially from being in the UK myself...just sounds almost typical if you ask me
laugh.gif
...but again and seriously, moving forward and for Nike to continue being "the leader," these things should be thought about and rolled out. It's true it's maybe an extra manufacturing cost just to produce one shoe....but I don't see it as something they need to stock up on, so its not like they'll be paying extra for crazy storage for one-sided kicks....Rather, have the possibility of customers being able to order direct and expect some waiting time till their shoe based on their specifications is delivered....nothing difficult about that imo...they're still getting paid, albeit half or maybe 3/4 of the price (with maybe additional costs for maybe losing out on a full price sale)

"If they had allowed me to do that [buy one shoe], then I'd never have got arrested in the first place."

fail_20at_20failing.jpg

Maybe he should cut off the other leg and get a pair of these.
grin.gif

(And no, I'm not poking fun at amputees -- I'm laughing at this guy's stupidity.) 
roll.gif

oscar-pistorius.jpg

I remember working at a shoe store in a mall with four shoe stores; three used left shoe displays, the other used right shoe displays. There was a time where people were stealing our displays and we had no idea why it was a certain type of shoe; we found out they were stealing the mate at that one other store to get a pair. After we spoke to that store they changed it.

the guy should had contact some shoe company if he could buy shoes individually...come on now...if i get mad, do i have the right to hurt others? no. the guy should had settle the problem in a more civilized manner.

I hope he's not one of those dudes who expects to be treated like a normal person, but demands a shoe store to sell him one shoe for half the price.

Originally Posted by bundy9

Well the act is definitely wrong but sympathy needs to be given to those in such unfortunate circumstances by retailers....I believe Nike, in line with with Corporate Social Responsibility should have some provisions/help, order number for such persons in such situations rather than ignore them or tell them basically "u can't wear our shoes cuz u're abnormal....you need two feet!" Would that mean Paraolympic athletes can't get outfitted with Nike gear!? That's discrimination and denying people of their rights to purchase. True maybe in the retail store that wasn't possible as they're just following regular sales guidelines and basically cuz they maybe haven't been trained for such situations as it's not common...but something should be put in place.

Again the act is dead wrong and funny, especially from being in the UK myself...just sounds almost typical if you ask me
laugh.gif
...but again and seriously, moving forward and for Nike to continue being "the leader," these things should be thought about and rolled out. It's true it's maybe an extra manufacturing cost just to produce one shoe....but I don't see it as something they need to stock up on, so its not like they'll be paying extra for crazy storage for one-sided kicks....Rather, have the possibility of customers being able to order direct and expect some waiting time till their shoe based on their specifications is delivered....nothing difficult about that imo...they're still getting paid, albeit half or maybe 3/4 of the price (with maybe additional costs for maybe losing out on a full price sale)

Totttttalllllllllllllly agreed!

Originally Posted by Nktran001

I hope he's not one of those dudes who expects to be treated like a normal person, but demands a shoe store to sell him one shoe for half the price.

QFT

Originally Posted by dyyhard

[h1]short version:
[/h1][h1]
[/h1][h1]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sidelinechatter/2011323092_chat12.html
[/h1][h1]
[/h1][h1]Tempted to steal a Nike? Just don't do it[/h1]
Amputee Phil Moore — angered when employees at Sports Direct in Barnsley, England, refused to sell him a single Nike sneaker for half the cost of a pair — snatched a size-9 from the display stand and tried to make a run for it.

Dwight Perry

The Seattle Times

Looks like this crime got off on the wrong foot.

Amputee Phil Moore — angered when employees at Sports Direct in Barnsley, England, refused to sell him a single Nike sneaker for half the cost of a pair — snatched a size-9 from the display stand and tried to make a run for it.

He didn't get far on his crutches.

roll.gif

I had a guy in North Minneapolis try this when I was working at a shoe store... Had another tell me a trainer max 91 wasn't good enough and we were going to help him out and give him the shoe, we only had the right shoe as the other was on display and got stolen years prior and the guy came in looking to buy just one shoe, had his size and everything.  I was actually trying to get dude looking right in some bos and he seemed happier with his walmart joints...  Oh well what you going to do.

WTB  Trainer 1s size 12 thru 13 Manny Pacs first colorway, Ladanian PEs, Jimmy Rollins PE, Trainer 1 Oregon PEs WTB LEBRON PEs 12, 12.5 
WTB Nike Maestro red all star colorway any size 11.5 thru 13 any condition besides beat.

There should be a website where amputees can gather and swap left and right shoes...They can make friends with people who have the same size and need the opposite shoe.

Originally Posted by Mugen EP

There should be a website where amputees can gather and swap left and right shoes...They can make friends with people who have the same size and need the opposite shoe.

smh !!!

Originally Posted by GZA73

Originally Posted by Mugen EP

smh !!!
Expand your business!
laugh.gif

who else thinks the title of this thread should be:

"One legged man steals Nike trainer from store. Right or Left?"

Back
Top Bottom