One of the reasons why Hockey never got big in the US?

i hit licks

Banned
I was thinking about this last night. Could it be that since the NHL, in a way, promotes violence and allows fights to happen on a nightly basis, parents are hesitant to allow their kids to watch it?

The only thing I look forward to when a hockey highlight is shown is if it's going to be a good fight. But I could definitely see parents not getting there kids into hockey because of the violence that come along with it.

The only thing I look forward to when a hockey highlight is shown is if it's going to be a good fight.
That's why the game has never gotten big in the U.S.

People just don't understand it and think it's soccer on skates + a little boxing.

I would say that has little to do with it, didn't seem to affect the popularity in the 90s when it was growing quickly

I think you have somewhat of a point there.

But the biggest thing by far is the fact it is a cold-weather sport. That's it.

Think of the areas in our country where kids would never be able to play hockey outside and learn the game. That's a ton of the map and a ton of kids never attempting to play. You also factor in several other things such as cost (hockey one of if not the most expensive sports to play as a kid), lack of TV/media exposure, lack of American superstars where you would know their faces if you saw them on the street, and also America not being the king fish of the sport (that would be Canada) where kids want to be part of that.

the main reason is that it's so expensive to play. if people can't play, it's tough to get into it.

Originally Posted by I HIT LICKS

I was thinking about this last night. Could it be that since the NHL, in a way, promotes violence and allows fights to happen on a nightly basis, parents are hesitant to allow their kids to watch it?

The only thing I look forward to when a hockey highlight is shown is if it's going to be a good fight. But I could definitely see parents not getting there kids into hockey because of the violence that come along with it.
You're not going to have fights in every game.....it's a violent/physical sport just like football. 

Also, the NHL does not promote fighting....it's a part of the game, but it's not something that they promote. 

Think of the areas in our country where kids would never be able to play hockey outside and learn the game. That's a ton of the map and a ton of kids never attempting to play. You also factor in several other things such as cost (hockey one of if not the most expensive sports to play as a kid), lack of TV/media exposure, lack of American superstars where you would know their faces if you saw them on the street, and also America not being the king fish of the sport (that would be Canada) where kids want to be part of that.

Ry hit the nail on the head as far as why hockey isn't as big in the US. 

The NHL did a HUGE disservice to itself a few years back when they had the lockout.  The NHL was arguably at it's peak (popularity-wise), and lost a ton of fans when the doors to the rinks were closed.  It's only now that we are seeing a sort of renaissance with the emergence of Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby.  The NHL is doing all they can to market these two superstars, and it's a step in the right direction. 

Another thing that helps is that more minorities are starting to get involved in the sport.  You're seeing a little more diversity on NHL rosters.  This is a GREAT thing and shows that hockey is starting to become a sport that isn't limited to one race.  I think in the next 10-15 years, you will have more folks playing the sport from different regions around the world. 

We all saw how great hockey is when the Olympics rolled around.  For the gold medal game, you had people from all walks of life enjoying the USA/Canada match up.  That's the type of excitement hockey can bring, and you'll see something similar when the playoffs arrive.  It's a fun sport to watch, and if you give it a chance you will find that it's not as bad as you may think. 

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

the main reason is that it's so expensive to play. if people can't play, it's tough to get into it.
this is the reason why i stopped. too damn expensive

gary bettman is an idiot too

The NHL and the owners made the NHLPA and all of the players look really bad before and during the lockout. That was a huge blow.Like others have said, it took a major hit that year. IMO, it'll never recover. And Gary Bettman is the worst commissioner in all of sports. He's up there with the Bob Arum's and Don King's of the sports world. IMO.

Of all the major team sports, hockey is easily the most equipment and facility requiring. First you need the skates, all kinds of padding, helmet + stick (which are all expensive), and on top of that you need a hockey arena that a smaller town probably won't even have. So you would have to travel to even practice the sport. It's the least pick-up friendly sport by far, followed by football with all the equipment it requires. That's why it will never be big.

For one, they need to invest and promote hockey domestically.

Secondly, we need hockey on ESPN again!! Double headers on Wednesday, oh how nostalgic.

Lastly, like it was mentioned, it's not the easiest sport to just go and play a pick-up game. 

I love hockey, I just wish it got more respect than it does from most Americans. 

I can't count how much I've spent on my hockey stuff and being a goalie makes it eve worse

One thing that use to hurt hockey was watching in TV was tough, but HD has greatly helped this. Still best sport to see live and I've had my non hockey fan friends agree with this. So much action and so fast

cause i cant follow the puck when its shot and when it is being fought over by 3 players against the wall and around the net.

yeah, i didnt play ice hockey either because of the $$$$. but Deck/Roller hockey... cheap and fun
pimp.gif
  (unless youre the goalie
laugh.gif
)

Or roll like I did as a kid, baseball mitt, stick, and those little knees pads. Man that ball hurt!

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Bingo.  Same reason why Soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

gear and fees...i think leagues ran close to a 500-1000 per league you wanted to play in when i was growing up. i can't imagine what it is nowadays
laugh.gif

The equipment argument doesn't work.

Soccer may be the cheapest sport to play and although it is big at the youth level in the States, there are far less people watching Soccer than Hockey in the states.

It probably has to do with you guys not being the the best at it......and probably the same with Soccer...

U.S. thinking is very hegemonic. You guys are use to dominating sports-politics-headlines-news etc...

America will not watch a sport where the majority of athletes are Canadian.....and you can use the same argument for Soccer.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

America will not watch a sport where the majority of athletes are Canadian.....and you can use the same argument for Soccer.

Well there in lies the problem, not enough Americans playing the game. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom