One year ago today, Kanye dropped a classic...

Can't call this a classic.
Save for a few songs, most had no real subject or direction (imo).  Musically it was well put together, but I feel like soulful Kanye >>> Any other Kanye.

To me its the worst of his Rap albums (I dont consider 808's rap).  In no way compares to the lyrical content and passion he put into CD.

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

I enjoy(ed) it...but I don't ever have a desire to listen to it.

Mainly because there's only like one song that's actually "about" something. And he doesn't rap well enough to rap about nothing. It sounds really good. There's just no take away for me.
this.
Originally Posted by DT43

MBDTF is a very well put-together project, but i feel like the individual songs aren't that amazing. they're good songs, but i feel like Kanye was caught up in his own hype and forgot to include the little things that make great music great.

i actually like/play 808s much more than MBDTF.. when it comes to music, a lot of times simple and honest works better than grandiose.
they dont hear you though.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Honestly, it's gotten to the point where Kanye could pass gas over a heavy beat and critics/fans would say that the joint is a 9.5/10
hence why i always take all those clowns opinions [bloggers, "tastemakers" etc] with a grain of salt

great album but clear cut classic? debatable.

c/s to dude who said devil in a new dress is RRs best feature
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Really? That many people on NT are hating on this album? Y'all must be some YMCMB fans. Every song on this album is great. The whole album tells a story from track 1 to track 12. The production is
eek.gif
So tired of this train of thought. Faulty logic in full effect.

How is he rapping about nothing though? are yall really listening to the songs?

Devil In A New Dress (Excluding Ross)is about nothing?
Runaway is about nothing?
Lost In The World?
Power?
Blame Game?
Gorgeous?
Hell Of A Life?

The album is pretty damn focused IMO, not to mention Ye spit some of his best raps on there especially Gorgeous.
I feel like some of yall who hate it, hate it cause of the hype also.
Ye came with an excellent album, he's not making anymore @*** in the vein of LR, CD & Graduation and idk why you'd want him too.
Pushing Boundaries & Explore Frontiers > Consistency

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Save for a few songs, most had no real subject or direction (imo). In no way compares to the lyrical content and passion he put into CD.
I see other people saying this, but let me just ask...what exactly is a "real subject"? Because let's not act like College Dropout or any of his other albums were full of "Jesus Walks" type songs...nothing wrong with fun songs that just have a good beat, and good flow. As far as MBDTF goes, I hear plenty of real subjects being mentioned in verses all over the album...that's probably the reason why I like it so much. Also let us also not act like the "real subject" thing is part of the criteria for determining if an album is a classic. Doggystyle is full of songs that aren't about anything, but they just sound good and no one questions whether or not that cd is a classic.
As far as direction of Kanye's albums, the way I see it:

CD - The struggle leading up and surrounding signing his record deal

LR - Dealing with fame

Graduation - Nothing, just having fun maybe?

808's - Heartbreak

MBDTF - Arrogant thoughts from (arguably) the biggest (hip hop) star in music.

I get why people don't like his last two albums (3 if you want to count WTT)...they really don't like how Kanye the artist has evolved. He's still the same emotional, braggadocios artist but now the emotion angry and defensive...plus his bragging isn't really bragging, he's telling the truth. Now I'm sure since I typed more than 3 sentences about Kanye, I'm going to be labelled as a "stan"...but I didn't say anything outrageous like calling him the greatest artist of our time or anything idiotic like that. 

It wasnt for yall it was only for people who spoke that language yall wont feel it til you get to the next level.

Originally Posted by awwsome

All of that has nothing to do with the music though.
Critical acclaim is just as political as everything else in the game.
Your basing an album's worth to yourself off of how publications see it?
It has everything to do with the music.

That's what the critics were acclaiming.
laugh.gif

Obviously at the end of the day it comes down to opinion, but isn't that all we're discussing here anyway?

"The game" and its politics have nothing to do with this discussion, though.

My personal reasons for it being a classic have nothing to do with any publications. I enjoy the music.

The point was raised earlier in the thread about how it influenced the game, hence the "GOOD Friday" reference.

I listed its accolades & sales to show that it's not as uncommon as some may think for others to have high regard for this album.

Plus I wanted to bring something to the table other than "Y'all trippin'. MBDTF is
pimp.gif
".
laugh.gif

damn good album but the replay value did diminish for me

album wasnt what I thought it was gonna be either. After hearing Power and knowing erything he went through behind the taylor swift stuff I thought Kanye was gonna really deliver on some "they tried to black list me but I survived and came back stronger than ever and this was my journey" steez.

i mean the effort was there but I think he coulda did a whole lot better....Good Friday songs inclusion did hurt this album too

This album sucked
laugh.gif
. Bunch of songs about absolutely nothing, felt that for Watch the Throne as well, but not to the extent of this album. Production was something to appreciate, but I wasn't liking the beats that much. 

Originally Posted by Pump Fake

This album sucked
laugh.gif
. Bunch of songs about absolutely nothing, felt that for Watch the Throne as well, but not to the extent of this album. Production was something to appreciate, but I wasn't liking the beats that much. 

completely agreed.
i thought the album was hot garbage. if a rapper named not yeezy put this out most of ya'll wouldve dismissed it as some weird ##@$. so it goes. 

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

Save for a few songs, most had no real subject or direction (imo). In no way compares to the lyrical content and passion he put into CD.
I see other people saying this, but let me just ask...what exactly is a "real subject"? Because let's not act like College Dropout or any of his other albums were full of "Jesus Walks" type songs...nothing wrong with fun songs that just have a good beat, and good flow. As far as MBDTF goes, I hear plenty of real subjects being mentioned in verses all over the album...that's probably the reason why I like it so much. Also let us also not act like the "real subject" thing is part of the criteria for determining if an album is a classic. Doggystyle is full of songs that aren't about anything, but they just sound good and no one questions whether or not that cd is a classic.

LR - Dealing with fame

808's - Heartbreak

I get why people don't like his last two albums (3 if you want to count WTT)...they really don't like how Kanye the artist has evolved. He's still the same emotional, braggadocios artist but now the emotion angry and defensive...plus his bragging isn't really bragging, he's telling the truth. Now I'm sure since I typed more than 3 sentences about Kanye, I'm going to be labelled as a "stan"...but I didn't say anything outrageous like calling him the greatest artist of our time or anything idiotic like that. 
Honestly, it's hard to put a finger on.  A number of songs lacked direction or exceptional lyricism, there's nothing about the verses that were memorable to me.  Musically it was good, but that was about it.  
However, I do see your point though.  To me Kanye has the potential to make a album that's leaps and bounds above MBDTF and the album just didn't bring it.  As somebody said the replay value on this is short to say the least, I've never had a desire to play it again.

LR - Dealing with fame

808's - Heartbreak

laugh.gif
...serious question, what exactly was that album about? I don't remember spinning it much around that time even though it
had some pretty dope songs on there.

I'll say it again, Kanye rambles about nothing nowadays. His songs may sound good, but he's saying nothing.

So Power, Gorgeous, Lost In The World and The Blame Game are about nothing? I get it if you just don't like the songs but come on man.

Originally Posted by cartune

Originally Posted by cartune

It wasnt for yall it was only for people who spoke that language yall wont feel it til you get to the next level.
THIS 
pimp.gif
roll.gif

Sounds like regressing in to a lower level.

College Dropout > MBDTF
Late Registration > MBDTF
Graduation > MBDTF
Good Fridays > MBDTF
MBDTF > 808s and Heartbreaks

And I am a fan of MBDTF. Not close to a classic though.

is it a classic?only time will tell but i really don't care. i enjoyed most of the songs about "nothing" on this album and that's all it matters. i could relate to a lot of the songs even tho i agree sometimes lyrically its lacking. its Kanye, and you know damn well he make it up with his production. Lyrically, kanye just isn't up there as you all know when you put him beside Hov on WTT, but it works, for me at least.

Originally Posted by o fenomeno

Originally Posted by Pump Fake

This album sucked
laugh.gif

completely agreed.
i thought the album was hot garbage. if a rapper named not yeezy put this out most of ya'll wouldve dismissed it as some weird ##@$. so it goes. 

my thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

LR - Dealing with fame

808's - Heartbreak

laugh.gif
...serious question, what exactly was that album about? I don't remember spinning it much around that time even though it
had some pretty dope songs on there.
IMO, Graduation was about enjoying and embracing the fame but also being aware of the bull#$^ that comes along with it.

Back
Top Bottom