Opinion on Silicia Packs, Mine-Bad for Your Shoes

i do use silica packs for my shoes but not all of them. i only put 1 pack in the box but i do wear my shoes at least every month or two. i do agree that youshould never put the shoes in plastic bags and then leave the silica packs inside of the bag. that's just plain stupid. there's always going to be somesort of arguement about this topic. so it's really up to the individuals whether they want to store their shoes this way or not. but i think you alwaysneed to factor in the conditions of the area you live in on how you store everything.

Originally Posted by green rhino123

The stories of crumbling older retros and ogs never stop multipling. It is inevitable. Nontheless,
I feel that shoe care plays its part. Darwin or somebody once said "Genetics loads the gun,
enviornment pulls the trigger." (if you follow)

I think silicia packs or whatever they are called or how they are spelled - are straight up bad for your shoes
longevity. Years back on NikeTalk - these drying agent packets were at the top of the "how to take care
of your sneakers" list along with vacuum sealing, temp. control, wearing them, etc. (and you do have to
wear them, at least minimally with care 10-20 times spread out - but that is another topic.)

Constantly these crumling stories, and how the effect is caused, in part, to the drying out of the glue, foam,
plastic, etc. I never thought sucking the moisture out of your shoes was good for them. The 5, 6, 11
are all gonna yellow, don't feal bad, it is also inevitable. It is not worth the risk of damaging the shoe.

I don't know if this practice even remains.

oh i was never aware of this i heard vacum seals dry the shoe up never silica packs

Originally Posted by green rhino123

The stories of crumbling older retros and ogs never stop multipling. It is inevitable. Nontheless,
I feel that shoe care plays its part. Darwin or somebody once said "Genetics loads the gun,
enviornment pulls the trigger." (if you follow)

I think silicia packs or whatever they are called or how they are spelled - are straight up bad for your shoes
longevity. Years back on NikeTalk - these drying agent packets were at the top of the "how to take care
of your sneakers" list along with vacuum sealing, temp. control, wearing them, etc. (and you do have to
wear them, at least minimally with care 10-20 times spread out - but that is another topic.)

Constantly these crumling stories, and how the effect is caused, in part, to the drying out of the glue, foam,
plastic, etc. I never thought sucking the moisture out of your shoes was good for them. The 5, 6, 11
are all gonna yellow, don't feal bad, it is also inevitable. It is not worth the risk of damaging the shoe.

I don't know if this practice even remains.

oh i was never aware of this i heard vacum seals dry the shoe up never silica packs

too many silica packs will absorb the oxygen needed for the glue and foam in midsoles to have moisture. but having no silica packs allows for other bacteriaand harmful agents in the air to damage the shoes. it all depends on the environment you live in. for example, if you live in a dry environment or use zip lockbags that reduce oxygen then yes it is bad to use silica packs. but if you live in a moist environment or you leave your j's in a cold garage during wintertime then using silica packs would help your shoes last longer......

too many silica packs will absorb the oxygen needed for the glue and foam in midsoles to have moisture. but having no silica packs allows for other bacteriaand harmful agents in the air to damage the shoes. it all depends on the environment you live in. for example, if you live in a dry environment or use zip lockbags that reduce oxygen then yes it is bad to use silica packs. but if you live in a moist environment or you leave your j's in a cold garage during wintertime then using silica packs would help your shoes last longer......

I live in S Florida and dont use none of these, but I havent been in the game long enough to have a chance to see if it would make a change anyways

I live in S Florida and dont use none of these, but I havent been in the game long enough to have a chance to see if it would make a change anyways

Of course there havent been an "studies" but I go with natural cedar balls instead of silica
ohwell.gif
Those stories of shoes falling apart because silica, made me do it
roll.gif

HERE: Natural Cedar Balls
Cedar is an amazing wood. It contains natural aromatics that repel moths, mildew and other pests while absorbingmoisture and mustiness. Closed inside a sweater box, these cedar balls leave a forest fresh scent. The smell is really great!! Say goodbye to the chemicalsmell of moth balls and hello the safe and natural protection of cedar. 24 balls per pack

clcedarballs.jpg

Of course there havent been an "studies" but I go with natural cedar balls instead of silica
ohwell.gif
Those stories of shoes falling apart because silica, made me do it
roll.gif

HERE: Natural Cedar Balls
Cedar is an amazing wood. It contains natural aromatics that repel moths, mildew and other pests while absorbingmoisture and mustiness. Closed inside a sweater box, these cedar balls leave a forest fresh scent. The smell is really great!! Say goodbye to the chemicalsmell of moth balls and hello the safe and natural protection of cedar. 24 balls per pack

clcedarballs.jpg

that has been my thought as well, i throw those packs out and just keep the box and paper

that has been my thought as well, i throw those packs out and just keep the box and paper

Putting the shoes in bags with silica packets is bad. Putting silica packets in the boxes is not bad. Humidity can ruin the glue much quicker than dry rotting,so I'll take my chances with silica packets. I've put silica packets in each of my boxes for the past 9-10 years. I remember original collectors allmostly store them in a cool dry place with some silica in or around the boxes to ensure the extra humidity in the air doesn't destroy the shoes.

Just my opinion/knowledge on the topic.

Putting the shoes in bags with silica packets is bad. Putting silica packets in the boxes is not bad. Humidity can ruin the glue much quicker than dry rotting,so I'll take my chances with silica packets. I've put silica packets in each of my boxes for the past 9-10 years. I remember original collectors allmostly store them in a cool dry place with some silica in or around the boxes to ensure the extra humidity in the air doesn't destroy the shoes.

Just my opinion/knowledge on the topic.

Back
Top Bottom