Original Jordan 3 from 1988

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
New here and have a question about my Dad's orginal Jordan 3's from 1988. They have cracks in the sole, and I have found thecobblers.com that can replace the soles for around $500-800 depending on difficulty once they get the shoes. My dad wants to sell the shoes, but we don't know if this will be worth the return or if just selling them with the cracks would be worth it and easier. Please let me know what you all think or if we would have any other options. Thank you in advance. Adam
IMG_4310.jpg
IMG_4309.jpg
IMG_4308.jpg
IMG_4307.jpg

I wouldn't resole them personally. You have a couple of things working against you:

There have been several retros of that shoe, so if a buyer wanted some wearable 3s they'd likely go for a more recent pair first.

While you do have some people that prefer vintage sneakers they are a very small minority of the market.

If you're paying 500-800 to resole that means you probably are hoping to sell for 1.5-2x that. I could be wrong but I'm not sure even OG 3s go for that much unless it's an obscure size etc (I'm not super into the vintage/ used sneaker market so I could be wrong).

Resoleing the shoe changes it from OG. Buyers will try to talk you down because it isn't all og

Try looking up similar listings on eBay at least before you go the cobbler route.

Honestly you have a solid shoe. I would sell as is and let the buyer do all that work. No use sinking money into something without knowing exactly what the final output will yield imo.

Hate to break it to you, those are not actually from 1988 if authentic. Those are 2003 release at oldest. The original 1988 release had "NIKE AIR" instead of the Air Jordan Jumpan logo on the heel. The later releases of this shoe had the Jumpman logo in the 2000s and beyond.

With that said, there isn't really any value to restore them with the intent of reselling.

Really? I know my Dad is 75 but he is 100% sure his shoes are from the 1980s. He had the black pair too, but sold those way back in the day.

Hate to break it to you, those are not actually from 1988 if authentic. Those are 2003 release at oldest. The original 1988 release had "NIKE AIR" instead of the Air Jordan Jumpan logo on the heel. The later releases of this shoe had the Jumpman logo in the 2000s and beyond.

With that said, there isn't really any value to restore them with the intent of reselling.
I think I just found them. From 2003? https://solecollector.com/news/air-jordan-3-the-definitive-guide-to-colorways/

Hi Adam! Welcome! Unfortunately, the guys who stated they're from 2003 are correct. The Jumpman on the back instead of the Nike and swoosh was the first thing I noticed, though there are a couple of other differences from the 1988 originals as well. You can absolutely get them re-soled or "sole swapped" for less than you were quoted, but the only way that would be worth it for you guys is if there was some sort of sentimental reason and he was planning on wearing them. If the reasoning is strictly to flip, you'd never get the money you invested back, because most folks would just go for one of the newer wearable retro versions.

EDIT: Also, if you look at the tag on the inside of the tongue, there will be a production date/year in that code somewhere. It used to be the first 2 digits at the top, but I'm not 100% sure where it is on yours.

Really? I know my Dad is 75 but he is 100% sure his shoes are from the 1980s. He had the black pair too, but sold those way back in the day.
Yes check the production tag. There should be a date on it. After 1999 or so most nike releases have a production date. Secondly - the size tag on original models was not on the tongue, it was on the inside of the ankle.

Thank you guys for your help. Just spoke with my dad again. He actually had original 88 jordan 3's in both black and white and threw them away when the soles started crumbling. Got these confused with those older shoes. Bummer. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom