Owner of resell company “West Coast Streetwear” mom is a VP at Nike - UPDATE - mom forced to step down

Phil Knight don’t even care
1615750726462.gif

Youre taking it for a whole. Jordans have ALWAYS been popular but to say one or two people/events didnt influence the CURRENT trend at the time then idk what to tell you. Ye started wearing 1’s and brought some hype to them, thats just what it is. Did he bring em back from the dead? Did he make them relevant again? No cause they werent dead or not relevant, but he threw the spotlight on em for a bit. Look what happened the the MJ documentary came out last year, it blew up prices for OG’s following that.

Ya’ll thinking were giving Ye too much credit, it aint even like that.
Does Nike use people to make things hyped? Sure. I don't think anyone would argue that. But this all started with this, and this is crazy talk:

Id argue Kanye made more people buy Jordan’s than Mike but I’m not going there today.

So were Joe Hebert and Marcus Jordan just part of a larger plan by Nike to artificially jack up their resale value/ scarcity?

We know scarcity is part of their marketing strategy.

Why does Nike need to rebuild consumer trust after this? I don’t think folks are going to stop rocking with Nike because of this scandal. That would be like saying people don’t want to go Ivy League schools anymore because of the college admissions scandal :lol:

Why does Nike need to rebuild consumer trust after this? I don’t think folks are going to stop rocking with Nike because of this scandal. That would be like saying people don’t want to go Ivy League schools anymore because of the college admissions scandal :lol:

you don’t think Nike isn’t going to turn this whole situation into a redemption story marketing campaign? We got remastered jordans because Nike “heard us” and wanted to “give loyal customers a better product” after selling us plastic shoes for nearly a decade prior. It’s all marketing. We’ve seen this before. Nike has never not followed up periods of limited access with mass production. The only difference now is that they probably didn’t account for dirty laundry to be aired out like it was with the trophy rooms and Joe west coast. They’re just gonna switch into a high production phase with a better story now and dress it up like they’re doing customers a favor. Like they have been for the last 30 years. It’s a cycle. Either way whether they actually do something for these specific situations in reality or do a marketing campaign, Nike doesn’t want to have the explicit image of the bad guy in the pop culture sneaker bubble.

Nike is a marketing company that also sells sneakers. They’re not gonna let their image be tarnished in a way that they can’t claim plausible deniability. Best believe they’re gonna turn this into an opportunity where they can sell more shoes. We went from space jams being a mythical unicorn, people getting shot over concords, to Nike selling millions of 11s in ONE MONTH. That was always the 5-10 year Plan

I think the only people who care or know about this are the small niche sneaker community. We tend to think we're more important to Nike than we are.

I think we’re all kind of saying the same thing. My point is this specific incident isn’t going to affect anything they wouldn’t have done/planned for anyway. At most, it just accelerated things. Repair their image? Perhaps. But I guarantee you they don’t feel the need to regain consumer trust after what happened here because they know this incident won’t affect their bottom line.

I think the only people who care or know about this are the small niche sneaker community. We tend to think we're more important to Nike than we are.
BINGO!

I’m clearly discussing this with people who are a lot younger than me. I should only speak on this with people who are over 30 cause only they would remember how popular dunks were back in the early-mid 2000s :lol:

dudes don’t know/remember how expensive dunk SBs were back then too. All the modern 2019-2021 releases sitting around 300-400, those were the resell prices for Jedis, Rayguns, etc. when they first dropped (and they went up over time from there). Tiffany and Unkle Dunks were sitting at 1K around that time. This doesn’t even include all the GRs that so many damn people used to wear. Tons of people who missed out on the hyped SB drops would even get GRs and stuff them to make them look like SBs.

there was a HUGE dive in demand/prices for SBs/Jordansaround the late 2000s when Nike ran out of ideas and started coming out with trash SBs, or releasing Jordans that were creased beyond belief after 1 wear (like the Military Blue 4s). Many of my friends and I had almost completely stopped buying Nikes/Jordans because of awful design decisions and quality control, and this was reflected in the resale market where you could buy previously “hyped”shoes for hundreds of dollars less than normal.

So yes, people like Kanye, Travis Scott, etc can be credited with the revival in hype, but not for the initial demand itself
Yes I remember a reseller asking $600 for ds Heineken size 11 in 2006. Too much at the time, prices very high now.

Back
Top Bottom