- Joined Dec 5, 2010
yeah follow all your post-op instructions.Originally Posted by ChampCruThik
I feel your pain, got all 4 taken out Monday without sedation. The key is to follow all your dentist's post-op instructions.
1) Ice cheeks to reduce swelling
2) Gauze on both sides of your mouth to create proper blood clot
3) Avoid chewing or spitting initially
4) Only soft foods like oatmeal, soup, mashed potatoes
5) Take all antibiotics and painkillers prescribed as necessary
6) My dentist also recommended brushing without toothpaste at first in fear of damaging the areas of extraction
7) Add salt to regular water and rinse both sides of your mouth out
I had mine taken out a week ago and now I feel completely fine and can exercise. Everyone thinks they're okay after the 2nd day or so, but the key is to not exercise or do anything the dentist says otherwise. Antibiotics are very important and you have to keep them on a regular schedule.
If you are a heavy smoker, your chance of having dry socket is a lot higher because it reduces blood flow to the socket and prevents a blood clot from forming.