Parenthood APPLICATIONS?! Vol. Ethical???

What if you were mandated by the state to first complete a 16 week standardized - 4 credit hour - parenthood course before you were allowed to APPLY for the privilege of parenthood?  This would mean there was a punishment for unfit parents, "illegal parents", and also that the gov't could deny you your "right" to parenthood if they saw fit.

All illuminati/conspiracy talk aside,

Discuss..

when i first read the title I was like hell yeah.... cuz im fresh off a weekend where bad $%# teenagers didnt know how to act in the movie theater and ruined my evening

but given some thought it has it pros but once the cons are presented im sure it could get out of hand

I like it but you are getting dangerously close to a police-state.

How about you can't get any form of govt asistance or welfare or whatever unless you took that test and were found fit to be a parent? 

That way, if you don't need it, you do whatever you want, AND my hard earned tax money doesn't go to pay for your kids because you were too stupid to use birth control and too poor to get an abortion.

@raptors29

While there admittedly isn't a "right" way to parent, there are trends and things parents can follow that will give their children the best opportunities to succeed.

If modern parents actually bothered to learn about classical conditioning/operant conditioning, kids would, in theory, have a better general sense of what to do and when to do it. The benefits of forcing parents to become educated about the things that they can do (but not necessarily follow word for word) could be endless.

I'm far too lazy to theorize how this could be implemented, but if it was done in an ethical way, I would support something like this 100%.

I just had a girl in January, does that mean since I didn't take the course I'm illegal and they would take my kid? If so, go eff yourself government. However, I def would not have even thought about having kids for if this was the deal. The thing is it might prevent two crackheads from having messed up kids that in the end, we have to pay for and it's really horrible for the kid. Buuut, what are they gonna teach? How is government going to get into the business of teaching us how to raise kids that aren't born yet? It's messed up on a whole other level for somebody to have to apply to the government, which isn't perfect, to give them the right to have children.

Originally Posted by HOVKid

How about you can't get any form of govt asistance or welfare or whatever unless you took that test and were found fit to be a parent? 

That way, if you don't need it, you do whatever you want, AND my hard earned tax money doesn't go to pay for your kids because you were too stupid to use birth control and too poor to get an abortion.
I agree with this.

But, I have been thinking about this for a while. Point blank, too many folks that aren't fit to have kids bring kids into this world. When they bring these kids into this world they are practically setting them up for failure. I am sick of it. Have been sick of it. Creating too many menaces to society and the cycle just continues.

Yea it is a touchy subject but something has to be done man.

I kinda like this... u regulate this mandate to the potential area where the highest risk of improper parenting will occur....

but like everything else with law and illegal activity how do you prevent or police ppl from having children "illegally"

and even with said mandate ppl in low risk groups still have the potential to suck at parenting to... how cud you limit all the slipping thru the cracks

If there are laws against you taking your own life, there should be laws regulating bringing one into the world.

I agree with HOV a well. My father is a lawyer and frequently has to defend poorer people from NYC and some of the crazy $%% he has heard and some of the people he has met has forced him to be an advocate for the government paying people to get their tubes tied. I laugh whenever I hear it and find it sort of extreme but I after some of these stories i've heard and some of the people he's described who have kid after kid after kid and are drug addicts or are in and out of jail I sorta can't blame him.

Nope. Cuz we already know certain groups will be targeted cuz of race and class. Could you imagine if your paperwork got lost. I'm not against mandatory parenting classes for welfare and things like that if parents show a history of not being responsible or something along those lines but applications that have to be approved? There would be alot of young people male and female locked up. Then what happens to the kids? We the tax payer will still end up paying for them.

If there are any spelling mistakes I apologize I'm on my phone and to lazy to check over it.

mytmouse76 wrote:
Nope. Cuz we already know certain groups will be targeted cuz of race and class. Could you imagine if your paperwork got lost. I'm not against mandatory parenting classes for welfare and things like that if parents show a history of not being responsible or something along those lines but applications that have to be approved? There would be alot of young people male and female locked up. Then what happens to the kids? We the tax payer will still end up paying for them.

If there are any spelling mistakes I apologize I'm on my phone and to lazy to check over it.
Yea it would APPEAR that way but honestly, don't you feel THOSE people are the ones that need it the most?

I agree.

Honestly no. Of course it would apprear the worst of the worst come from these areas but I don't believe a majority of the people in that group are as bad as it seems. A small groups ruins for the whole. I think it would be wrong that this group would be targeted cuz of a minority.

Now your starting to make sense HOVKid.  Good job champ.  

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Honestly no. Of course it would apprear the worst of the worst come from these areas but I don't believe a majority of the people in that group are as bad as it seems. A small groups ruins for the whole. I think it would be wrong that this group would be targeted cuz of a minority.
What group are we referring to before I go any further.

I am referring to low-income blacks.

I think MORE are doing negative than positive for society as a whole.

Those are my people but I............I'm just being honest.

And I don't think this method would hurt anyone that IS ready to be a fit parent.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I agree with this.

But, I have been thinking about this for a while. Point blank, too many folks that aren't fit to have kids bring kids into this world. When they bring these kids into this world they are practically setting them up for failure. I am sick of it. Have been sick of it. Creating too many menaces to society and the cycle just continues.

Yea it is a touchy subject but something has to be done man.
I doubly agree on all points.....Its hard to map out the exact means of "application", as the OP put it, but something has to be done.  The no government assistance is a good avenue, but could result in a bunch of people that just take the classes to get money in the long run, and who pays for the classes?  I have had this discussion with my friends before, each solution we came up with came very close to "poor people cant have kids", and obviously that is not going to work.  The closest thing is to correct the extreme outliers, the people who have kids beyond their means just to increase their state paid cash flow.  Making birth control for women free, and also not providing benefits for people with more than one child.  Basically if you have a kid and you have to be supported by the state (by any means), if you have another child, your state provided assistance would not increase. 

The troubling factor is that people who can provide more than enough for children (in the areas of financial stability) are having the fewest amount of children.  The people who are "poor" are multiplying at an extraordinary rate.......Add this with fact that father figures for some reason are not the best (or even there) on the lower rungs of the socioeconomic ladder and you have a recipe of few options/un-parented kids.....

But no government assistance might lead to more crime.

I just don't like the idea that people with NOTHING can practically have babies with the safety net there knowing they will be "taken care of."

That doesn't sit well with me.

I like this idea but just to play devils advocate. What if the person took the test and was found to be an unfit parent and went ahead and became a parent anyway? By not helping them with government assistance wouldn't you just be hurting the kid, which isn't the point of the test so that kids don't get hurt by unfit parents?

We discussed this in one of my classes. I support it. We need licenses to operate vehicles, or to perform certain jobs. Why not have a license saying you are able to have children? If you start decreasing the population of a certain class of people, there is less of a chance that a new cohort will  take its place. If there was a way to figure out who would be a good parent and who wouldn't and if you remove the ability of reproduction of the unfit people, you decrease the chances of that population to continue to grow. This promotes the higher standard to increase their population and start a new trend.

Yes it does seem a bit extreme but think about how many kids have been brought up to be failures or not even make it far enough before being killed due to neglect.

Back
Top Bottom