Past and present Accutane users....

Originally Posted by HRelos

anyone know what accutane does to the body to help reduce acne??

my derm told me it was like a high dose of vitamin A or something like that...i remember when someone asked why i don't just take vitamin A pills i had the
ohwell.gif
 face like "i don't know"

Yo, if you ain't got severe acne, you should look into Pantethine. It helps with lipid metabolism and won't cause breakouts on your face. Tried it and it worked. Just an alternative I suppose. Or try Vitamin B5 even though its a bit harsher than pantethine.

Originally Posted by MikeTysontheKiller

Yo, if you ain't got severe acne, you should look into Pantethine. It helps with lipid metabolism and won't cause breakouts on your face. Tried it and it worked. Just an alternative I suppose. Or try Vitamin B5 even though its a bit harsher than pantethine.

Don't try vitamin b5. I had to go to the hospital because I had such bad heart burn and I started loosing hair. Just hop on accutane.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

my derm told me it was like a high dose of vitamin A or something like that...i remember when someone asked why i don't just take vitamin A pills i had the
ohwell.gif
 face like "i don't know"

Actually the reverse, it blocks off the utilization of vitamin A.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

ohwell.gif
 face like "i don't know"

Actually the reverse, it blocks off the utilization of vitamin A.

that makes more sense...

Is this the same as Isotane?

If it is, I took for about a year, quite a high dosage and it worked its wonders. I dont get any pimples, maybe 1 every few months. I still take it, like 1 dose a day just in case. If I go to areas associated with humid/tropical weather I am required to take a few high dosages a few weeks prior to it just in case of an outbreak. Apparently I am accustomed to break outs in tropical weather.

I have just shared my life story lol.

But yeah.. for me the side-effects were just dry DRY skin and some minor tiredness.

HRrelos

Milk Thisle is used to clean out the liver...

since you liver and your body are exposed to such high levels of hepatoxicity that the milk thisle will help your liver break everything down and it wont be as harsh.

Originally Posted by KG21

Originally Posted by KMun44

Originally Posted by jdub55

I keep seeing commericals on tv about people sueing accutane for the long term side effects it can have on you

a kid i used to play baseball with used it back in the day and he would always complain how his joints were sore and we were in high school. Accutane dried his joints out bad
THIS IS TRUE

i could dunk as a freshman in high school, i started taking accutane in 10th grade, when in hindsight my acne was not even near warranting the use of accutane.  then i could couldnt dunk anymore, and i felt more sluggish on the court.  after getting off it my legs did come back but not until like the summer before my senior year.  sucked hard

Now that I think about it, I do get back pains and never did have them before I took the medication. It's not that bad though, I just can't sit for more than 2 hours straight without some type of extra lumbar support (small pillow) like on airplanes or roadtrips.

Wow, I Took It Back In 07' And I Have Had Back And Knee Issues As Well, I Thought It Was Weight Or Something But Might Have To Do Research

To Op-  Hang In There Dude, Lips Are Norm But Just Keep Them Hydrated. Deff Worth The Wait         
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

Seems like the side-effects are worse than the problem it sets out to cure
laugh.gif
   not even...

so far its been worth it...
Side effects of Accutane include:
  • Acne flare-ups
  • Severe skin dryness, especially on the lips, nostrils, genitals, and eyes
  • Hair thinning
  • Headache
  • Hair loss
  • Thinning of the skin, making bruising and cuts more likely and slower to heal
  • Eczema
  • Fatigue
  • Brittle nails
  • Increased sensitivity to sunlight
  • Menstrual problems, including irregular or heavier period
  • Gastrointestinal problems, including diarrhea
  • Muscle pain
  • Skin conditions and infections, including impetigo, paronychia, and pyogenic granuloma
More severe side effects of Accutane include:
  • Severe depression
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Birth defects
  • Liver damage, with symptoms of nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss, and jaundice (yellowing of the eyes or skin)
  • Allergic reaction to isotretinoin, resulting in liver disease and other health complications
Of course, its up to oneself to decide whether the risk is worth it or not.

Originally Posted by classified

I myself have never taken it.  I took Clindamycin Phosphate for my face.  But Accutane worked for my friend and he had it bad, this was in HS.

USE THAT FOO

Seems like the side-effects are worse than the problem it sets out to cure
laugh.gif
   not even...

so far its been worth it...
Side effects of Accutane include:
  • Acne flare-ups
  • Severe skin dryness, especially on the lips, nostrils, genitals, and eyes
  • Hair thinning
  • Headache
  • Hair loss
  • Thinning of the skin, making bruising and cuts more likely and slower to heal
  • Eczema
  • Fatigue
  • Brittle nails
  • Increased sensitivity to sunlight
  • Menstrual problems, including irregular or heavier period
  • Gastrointestinal problems, including diarrhea
  • Muscle pain
  • Skin conditions and infections, including impetigo, paronychia, and pyogenic granuloma
More severe side effects of Accutane include:
  • Severe depression
  • Suicidal thoughts
  • Birth defects
  • Liver damage, with symptoms of nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss, and jaundice (yellowing of the eyes or skin)
  • Allergic reaction to isotretinoin, resulting in liver disease and other health complications
Of course, its up to oneself to decide whether the risk is worth it or not.

ones i experienced and again it was worth it...

the suicide thing is really if you already have a problem...and of course the birth defects can be avoided completely...

I've read that it affectively shrinks the oil ducts in your face so that your face produces less oil. Less oil = less pimples. The oils your body produces help moisturize the skin so that is why your face and lips get really dry when you're on Accutane/Isotretinoin.

Originally Posted by I3

Is this the same as Isotane?

If it is, I took for about a year, quite a high dosage and it worked its wonders. I dont get any pimples, maybe 1 every few months. I still take it, like 1 dose a day just in case. If I go to areas associated with humid/tropical weather I am required to take a few high dosages a few weeks prior to it just in case of an outbreak. Apparently I am accustomed to break outs in tropical weather.

I have just shared my life story lol.

But yeah.. for me the side-effects were just dry DRY skin and some minor tiredness.
I think what you're taking is different. Isotretinoin/Accutane is to be taken for six months and then you're off of it, you don't continually take it.

Just always have some aquaphor on hand for the lips, lotion up your body in the morning and night, and drink tons of water. Probably won't have any of the crazy effects by every single piece of skin you got will get dry. Worth it though so just stick it out...

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

"Adverse Reactions

Dermatologic: Abnormal wound healing acne fulminans, alopecia, bruising, cheilitis, cutaneous allergic reactions, dry nose, dry skin, eczema, eruptive xanthomas, facial erythema, fragility of skin, hair abnormalities, hirsutism, hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, increased sunburn susceptibility, nail dystrophy, paronychia, peeling of palms, peeling of soles, photoallergic reactions, photosensitizing reactions, pruritus, purpura, rash"

yes what you are experiencing is probably a side effect of isotretinoin and will probably go away once you discontinue the drug. very harsh drug, but i guess if you failed all other acne therapies then you have no choice. hope you get better man

eek.gif

All us black men have are our waves and nice smooth skin.
tired.gif

What are a good list of moisturizers you guys use for your face and skin??? and do you'll still use face wash if so what type??

What are a good list of moisturizers you guys use for your face and skin??? and do you'll still use face wash if so what type??

The only moisturizer I use is Aquaphor. Its expensive but worth it. Not too greasy and it'll keep your skin lubricated all day.

I use Cerave face wash. It used to be Rx only but can be bought OTC now. I rarely get pimples and if I do its because of my bad eating habits.

I would advise that you stay far away from Accutane. Too many risks involved.

I use the cerave lotion on my face. I can't find it OTC so I just have the lil samples the doc gave me. Or you can use aveeno daily moisturizer

all i used while i was on accutane was cetaphil gentle cleansing bar every time i washed my face and took a shower and yeah just have some lotion, chapstick, with you at all times.

dont be afraid of the side affects the chances of them actually affecting you are minimal.

if i remember correctly i saw the statistics somewhere that the chance of suffering from depression was like .2 % or something really low like that.

its worth it in the end trust me.

Back
Top Bottom