Pennsylvania judge sentenced to 28 years in prison for selling teens to prisons

Independent? Ha!

Anyways, this shouldn't be blamed on private prisons. You can have kickbacks any time that one person/entity is dependent on another for their profit/compensation. Which is why there needs to be government involvement and regulations that catch and send these people to jail.

If a private prison is able to provide the service at a lower cost than the government, what is the problem? Also, these private prisons aren't able to have but so much profit so it's not like they are Apple with 50% profit margins.

I understand that certain things should not be handled by the private sector like the police/fire dept(people don't pay bills, police/fire don't show up?), building roads/bridges(private sector would not build bridges because of the cost), but the only argument that I see against private prisons is the same argument that can be made against many industries in this country. Every industry does significant lobbying and makes political contributions.

So what you're saying is.....this judge's actions were worth it to you because its just a side effect of an industry that otherwise works well? How often do you think this situation happens? Do you think this judge was just one corrupt guy in a sea of upstanding civil servants? Do you think the fact that the private prisons themselves were the one giving him these kickbacks has anything to do with other judges in other states participating in the same scheme with the same company?

What I am saying is that corruption happens even without a for-profit corporation,in this case prisons, being involved. Here is an example:
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/nine-philadelphia-traffic-judges-arrested-over-ticket-favoritism

Is anyone saying that since these judges played favorites, traffic courts should be handled by the private sector. That is the leap that is being made here about for-profit prisons.

For the rest of your questions, do you have any evidence? Otherwise, these are a bunch of leading questions based on assumptions.

I haven't seen anyone give a substantial reason why prisons should not be handled by the private sector other than that they just shouldn't be for profit and that they lobby the government(which every industry does)

Last edited:
Independent? Ha!

Anyways, this shouldn't be blamed on private prisons. You can have kickbacks any time that one person/entity is dependent on another for their profit/compensation. Which is why there needs to be government involvement and regulations that catch and send these people to jail.

If a private prison is able to provide the service at a lower cost than the government, what is the problem? Also, these private prisons aren't able to have but so much profit so it's not like they are Apple with 50% profit margins.

I understand that certain things should not be handled by the private sector like the police/fire dept(people don't pay bills, police/fire don't show up?), building roads/bridges(private sector would not build bridges because of the cost), but the only argument that I see against private prisons is the same argument that can be made against many industries in this country. Every industry does significant lobbying and makes political contributions.

So what you're saying is.....this judge's actions were worth it to you because its just a side effect of an industry that otherwise works well? How often do you think this situation happens? Do you think this judge was just one corrupt guy in a sea of upstanding civil servants? Do you think the fact that the private prisons themselves were the one giving him these kickbacks has anything to do with other judges in other states participating in the same scheme with the same company?

What I am saying is that corruption happens even without a for-profit corporation,in this case prisons, being involved. Here is an example:
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/nine-philadelphia-traffic-judges-arrested-over-ticket-favoritism

Is anyone saying that since these judges played favorites, traffic courts should be handled by the private sector. That is the leap that is being made here about for-profit prisons.

For the rest of your questions, do you have any evidence? Otherwise, these are a bunch of leading questions based on assumptions.

I haven't seen anyone give a substantial reason why prisons should not be handled by the private sector other than that they just shouldn't be for profit and that they lobby the government(which every industry does)

That is an example of favoritism or cronyism, it is in no way comparable or relevant to this issue. The judge wasn't giving lighter sentences to his friends, he was handing out harsher sentences to increase the profits for the prison industry. In that other link that I previously provided, there is evidence that for profit prisons don't substantially save the taxpayers any money. They do, however, lead to harsher sentences, lobbying for more laws and less rights, and a temptation for judges to engage in this type of corruption.

Last edited:
bruh I Just saw a law and order episode about something like this. It was about the judge having a connect with a behavioral detention center though. This is 10x worse tho :smh:

Independent? Ha!

That is an example of favoritism or cronyism, it is in no way comparable or relevant to this issue. The judge wasn't giving lighter sentences to his friends, he was handing out harsher sentences to increase the profits for the prison industry. In that other link that I previously provided, there is evidence that for profit prisons don't substantially save the taxpayers any money. They do, however, lead to harsher sentences, lobbying for more laws and less rights, and a temptation for judges to engage in this type of corruption.

Ok, then yea those are major issues with having these private prisons.

So this is what evil looks like...

Robert Mericle

Robert Powell

Mark Ciavarella Jr

Back
Top Bottom