People telling you to sit down at a sporting event

I got some pretty good seats at the Laker game yesterday and was constantly bothered by some old rich guy behind me telling me to sit down. I only stood up forbig plays, or breakaways and this guy would just kill my mood instantly after a big play. I ended up telling him off at halftime and he never bothered me afterthat. I just enjoyed the rest of the game normally, standing up for big plays etc.

Am I wrong with this? I mean it was a GAME 7! You gotta come pumped to the arena for that as a fan! I think I'll just stick to the upper levels from nowon, most of the real fans are up there anyways...

Sometimes it gets out of hand either way. I see both sides usually unless either party goes overboard. Just something that happens at every sporting event,always an ongoing battle

this is one of the reasons i stay home, when people stand, i have to stand, or else i can't see.

if i pay money to see the team play, i don't won't to be inconvenienced, i would rather stay home.

Meh... You sit in good seats you expect to be bothered by some old, rich dude behind you... It's part of going to a game...

I usually just ignore it and do what I do, while trying to be respectful about it... As long as you weren't up-and-down, obnoxious, and/or disrespectfulabout it, you're fine... You don't want people standing up in front of you, get as close to the court as possible...

just a grumpy old man, season ticket holder, prob thinks hes entitled to unobstructed viewing. in that case, he should choose different seats or stay at home.also, looks like you were conscious about it and it doesn't look like you went overboard.
you paid good money and it doesn't look like you sit there that close often, so just do as you please for 2+ hrs of your life. good thing you stood up tohim, he was testing you and if you complied, he would have got his way.

I really only had this problem during football games. Usually, I just follow the rules. If the dude is standing up in front of you, you stand up, that'susually during an exciting play/moment.

But other than that, "Hey, down in front! SIT DOWN!!!"

Originally Posted by dyyhard

just a grumpy old man, season ticket holder, prob thinks hes entitled to unobstructed viewing. in that case, he should choose different seats or stay at home. also, looks like you were conscious about it and it doesn't look like you went overboard.
you paid good money and it doesn't look like you sit there that close often, so just do as you please for 2+ hrs of your life. good thing you stood up to him, he was testing you and if you complied, he would have got his way.
Yeah that's exactly what I told him. I said if he doesn't want people standing in front of him then to buy row 1 tickets or stay home. The2 people he was with (children) were all embarrassed and told him to shut up so I know I wasn't OD'ing on the standing up thing. When he grabbed myshirt and pulled it down so I can sit down pissed me off and that's when I went off on him.This guy told me to sit down when PA said "On your feet foryou LA Lakers"
laugh.gif

Naturally, I only get up when a big play goes down, or a breakaway etc.. After that I sit down, because I don't want to block anyone.

Did y'all see Jack Nicholson trying to get everyone off their seats, and the people in the front row looked at him as if he were crazy.
laugh.gif

Ah, that's why I hate most of the "fans" that sit in the 100's section, and why I envy the fanbase in cities like Portland, San Antonio,even Utah .

And in this situation it doesn't seem like you were obnoxious about standing, so this guy should relax a bit. But as someone said, just another hassle ofgoing to games. I find myself enjoying live games less and less every year (football games mostly in my case) And he should not be grabbing you at all

$%%$ em. ive always hated people who !%*$% about this. i once had a woman ask me to quiet down at a warrior game
indifferent.gif
her kids were not amused with her.

because of this, i ended up getting season tickets in the last row of the lower level. at least i wont have people crying behind me anymore

damn man

he GRABBED your shirt and YANKED you down?

tapping you on the shoulder is one thing, this is something else though

in that case, i would have done what you did

I think you can stand up after a nice play. But there are also morons out there who keep standing for over a minute.

the only time i have problems with people standing at games is when I've been to college basketball games at neutral arenas. Some students from schoolsjust stand the whole time no matter where their seats are. if you're not in a designated student section, you cannot stand the whole game.

hahah that only a small issue, I go to 25-30 laker games a year and Im loud as heck , alot of time fans in front of me tell me to turn it down,. that when iturn it up!!! My motto "I do what I want!!" Who cares, you can not tell a fan not to chear for his team!!! Only in LA .

Honestly, this has never happened to me. I would have been hella pissed if I was in your shoes OP. When people are in attendance at the games, I expect someenthusiasm and energy. I'm the type of person to stand up for big plays, big blocks, fastbreaks, applaud effort plays, and stuff like that. I like beinghella into the game. It didn't sound like you were ODing with the standing up. The old dude behind you is just dumb
smh.gif

i've told someone to chill out once behind me because the game was wrapped up and he was screaming a bunch of stupid **$* right behind my head

it was obvious dude was lookin for problems though

Originally Posted by k0befomvp

I think you can stand up after a nice play. But there are also morons out there who keep standing for over a minute.
Yeah.. Personally, I can't stand people who stand up after every other play.

I only stand up for a few things, and only a few times during the game, and I only jump up out of excitement of a play. Those things are either a huge momentumchanging dunk or three, or a bucket late in the game that changes lead/ties the game.

Other than that, I'm a reserved sports fan.

people who stand up JUST BECAUSE they see others in other sections standing up when it's nothing to do with the game, I tell people to sit the %#@@ down. Idon't care.

If it's a big at bat, that's cool. Big pitch, cool. Rally, fine. There's NO other reason for that $**!. I'll ask politely, but when i'mignored and it continues, i'll get louder, or just snitch. I don't give a $**! about you stranger, I paid for my seats too. Now let me watch my %#@@ing game

It's rude when people stand up & they know someone is sitting behind them .

They have every right to see the game that you do .

I hate when people stand up for more than one minute ... there's a seat behind your !%@ for a reason .

Just sit down ... that's the reason they have seats .

Back
Top Bottom