Peyton Manning out for season.....?? vol. Feelin Andrew Lucky...well do ya punk?

Indianapolis Colts superstar quarterback Peyton Manning had another neck surgery on Sunday and is out for the season, according to an Indianapolis area radio host.

Jake Query, a radio show host for 1260 WNDE, reported on Twitter that two reputable sources told him that Manning underwent a third neck procedure on either Sunday or Monday and is subsequently out for the year.

http://img.ibtimes.com/ww...for-a-receiver-dur.jpg); -webkit-background-size: cover; background-size: cover; background-position: 0% 0%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat !important; ">
http:///img.ibtimes.com/www/site/2011/articles/images/enlarge3.png);">http://img.ibtimes.com/ww...es/images/enlarge3.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(102, 102, 102); display: block; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; text-indent: -900em; height: 22px; float: left; border-top-left-radius: 5px 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px 5px; background-position: 50% 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Enlarge

(Photo: Reuters)
Peyton Manning won't play in the Colts season opener against the Houston Texans, the team says.

"A source I consider reliable told me he is out for the season," Query tweeted.

As of 7 p.m. EST, the report had yet to be verified by other mainstream media members.

The news comes hours after the Colts said Manning would miss at least the team's home opener against the Houston Texans on Sept. 11. Recently signed backup Kerry Collins is expected to start on Sunday.

Manning, who hasn't missed a start in 227 consecutive games, was understandably upset about missing the team's highly anticipated opener.

"To say I am disappointed in not being able to play is an understatement," Manning said in a statement. "The best part about football is being out there on the field with my teammates.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ar...nning-out-for-season.htm

laugh.gif
way to jump the gun on this

This is my professional opinion on Manning.

His injury has been terribly under reported because people do not understand the extent of his injury. Peyton had a fusion of his cervical spine, and if his name was not Peyton Manning, he would be forced to retire. Having a fusion of this part of the spine restricts neck flexion and extension, which you would need to take hits in the NFL. With this type of procedure and depending on the extent of the past history of symptoms, he could damaged the nerves to the point where sensory fibers and motor fibers have regenerated together. This would have an adverse affect on the muscles of the neck and shoulder, becoming weak. Looking at Peyton, his posture at that part of the spine is off the center of gravity. He has a forward head condition, which would also be detrimental to add on the surgery.

These types of procedures aren't meant for people to go back and play football. If he goes back and plays, he's taking a very big risk of seriously hurting himself.

Originally Posted by hoosiergunner

way to jack my idea too...

Yeah, because you are the only one who had the idea of the Colts being awful and landing Luck. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rashi

His injury has been terribly under reported because people do not understand the extent of his injury. Peyton had a fusion of his cervical spine, and if his name was not Peyton Manning, he would be forced to retire. Having a fusion of this part of the spine restricts neck flexion and extension, which you would need to take hits in the NFL. With this type of procedure and depending on the extent of the past history of symptoms, he could damaged the nerves to the point where sensory fibers and motor fibers have regenerated together. This would have an adverse affect on the muscles of the neck and shoulder, becoming weak. Looking at Peyton, his posture at that part of the spine is off the center of gravity. He has a forward head condition, which would also be detrimental to add on the surgery.

These types of procedures aren't meant for people to go back and play football. If he goes back and plays, he's taking a very big risk of seriously hurting himself.

frown.gif

even for someone who doesn't like the guy (but respects the hell out of him)...damn, that's depressing to hear. rather deal with playing him than not being able to watch him play
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by University of Nike

frown.gif

"I dont know why but I believe him yo"...
frown.gif

Neck injuries are no joke, especially in contact sports. Would really be a damn shame if this is as serious as speculation.

This seems to happen with every major athlete who has an injury. "Oh it's nothing" - Turns out to be something - "His career is over" - Usually not nearly close to ever happening.

It's my impression that this is a nerves type thing that will heal and everything will be fine. It's not like it was a neck fracture or something where a hard hit could paralyze. There's no structural damage right?

Colts owner Jim Irsay addressed the issue via Twitter:

Peyton didn’t have a medical procedure last sunday,we’ll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Peyton had a fusion of his cervical spine
where has this been reported?

That's thing, it's not being reported.

It has already been reported that Manning has a "bulging" disc in his cervical spine. Manning has been complaining of neck pain since 2010, and if I remember correctly, he had surgery to removed calcium deposits (or bone spurs). This alone would cause pain making just normal every day movements of the neck, the spur would pinch down on the disc not allowing normal nutrition for the disc and degenerate. After enough degeneration, would cause a lot of inflammation on the nerves and extreme pain to the neck and peripheral.

I know he had a fusion done because there are only limited amount of options you can do for this.

1. Physical therapy, which would be intense and take a lot of time depending on the regeneration of the nerves, and then it would take time to develop muscle to stabilize the neck and the part of the shoulder complex where the nerves were damaged (if I knew where in the cervical spine he had this, I could tell you where he would have a deficiency)
2. Chiropractics (I would never recommend)
3. Epidural shots (which I think are pointless because they just cause scar tissue)
4. Lastly, a spinal fusion.

Disc replacements are now coming into the mainstream, and do allow some more normal movement, but still would not be recommendable to play football.

I hate to see this happen to anybody, but especially one of the elite QBs of the league who carves defenses like a thanksgiving turkey.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

frown.gif

This just left me in an extremely depressed state...

"Just read another post that
9321564f7e8555a2e0954efbe680638a02fd4f7_r.gif
up my day
" (c) Shawn Corey Knowles

tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom