Phil Knight Going In To Basketball Hall of Fame - Deserved?

They contributed in a different way than most of yall are thinking. Nike made ways for the fans of the game to feel more connected with the nba and its players by doing things like making signature shoes and all those classic commercials featuring players fans idolized. 

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by lawdog1

So, you think the same exact things would have happened if Jordan signed with Converse or Adidas?  Nike's shoe designs and marketing had nothing to do with how popular "Air Jordan" became?  Obviously, Nike wouldn't have blown up in the same way if it wasn't for Jordan, but I think it was more of a two way street than you're making it out to be.

you do know i think up to the jordan 13 micheal created and made the designs...so and yes no matter who mj signed with they wouldve been big the whole hype of nikes started with jordan and folks wanting to be like mike.. then it transcended to other players then to hypebeast and ppl buying them cause of limited and everyone else getting them....

that all being said nike impact is probably the biggest in nba... it was times ppl watched bball just to see there commercials and what new shoes certain players would be wearing
Um, no he didn't. You need to do your research before making these comments. Look up Tinker Hatfield who designed III-XX, Bruce Kilgore who designed the II's, and Peter Moore who designed the I's.

Phil deserves it. Nike IS marketing, and the NBA is as popular as it is today in big part because of what Nike has done for the sport.

i have the air jordan encyclopedia and it was his ideas and concepts basically nike took it and turned into the shoe... i never said he did the drawings or was out in tawian and working the sweatshops... if i had it infront me and not sealed id tell you every shoe and the idea and concepts that jordan inspired behind them...

i do remember the 13 concept and inspiration was his favorite course on pebble beach and some shoe was suppose to be like one of his favorite cars

Dude you said he CREATED and DESIGNED the shoe. Do you know what a designer does????
laugh.gif

Being a designer and inspiring a design are two completely different things

These hall of fame threads just go to show how little about the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame people on here know. They have an entire section devoted to contributors, which is open to all sorts of interpretation. If you don't think Nike has been one of the greatest contributors to the sport of basketball, then you probably shouldn't be talking about sports.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

These hall of fame threads just go to show how little about the BASKETBALL Hall of Fame people on here know. They have an entire section devoted to contributors, which is open to all sorts of interpretation. If you don't think Nike has been one of the greatest contributors to the sport of basketball, then you probably shouldn't be talking about sports.

I just quickly went through the contributors section of the wiki page. Phil Knight is by my estimation, the least deserving inductee of the 59 inducted. Well, besides Dickie V.

Has HE done even as much as Chuck Taylor?

Charles H. "Chuck" Taylor
Shoe salesman; Organized first basketball clinic at North Carolina State University (1922); developed the popular Converse Basketball Yearbook (1922); selected All-America teams (1932); The Chuck Taylor "All-Star" was the official shoe of the Olympics (1936–68)

Look at the rest of the list. http://en.wikipedia.org/w...all_of_Fame#Contributors

^^^ I would say yes, Knight has done as much for basketball as Chuck Taylor. He's overseen Nike during the time that the company has become the preeminent supplier of the shoes people of all types, all over the world, wear to play basketball. That's pretty significant, IMO.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Dude you said he CREATED and DESIGNED the shoe. Do you know what a designer does????
laugh.gif

i never said he was a designer i said designed

[h2]de·sign:to form or conceive in the mind; contrive; plan: The prisoner designed an intricate escape.

do you know what design means
roll.gif

[/h2]

Originally Posted by HankMoody

What does any of this have to do with basketball? Is anyone from Spalding in the HOF? Why not? They make the balls! How about Gatorade? They fuel these athletes! Be Like Mike! That surely contributed to basketball.

I would make the argument that it hurt basketball. Folks trying to be like that man. But that is another topic.......

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

laugh.gif

Exactly. 

Mike barely had that much "design" influence anyways.  They say that for every player who has ever had a sig shoe. 

This dude should have his account revoked for this.
30t6p3b.gif

Trying to do damage control after what he said "created and made the designs"...dude thought MJ was on some Yeezy type steez

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

I just quickly went through the contributors section of the wiki page. Phil Knight is by my estimation, the least deserving inductee of the 59 inducted. Well, besides Dickie V.

Has HE done even as much as Chuck Taylor?

Charles H. "Chuck" Taylor
Shoe salesman; Organized first basketball clinic at North Carolina State University (1922); developed the popular Converse Basketball Yearbook (1922); selected All-America teams (1932); The Chuck Taylor "All-Star" was the official shoe of the Olympics (1936–68)

Look at the rest of the list. http://en.wikipedia.org/w...all_of_Fame#Contributors
As I said, it's open to interpretation. It's hard to argue that Nike isn't the most important shoe brand in the history of basketball, in terms of innovation and technology. The Chuck Taylor was worn because that's all that existed at the time, and nobody gave a crap about basketball and the shoes they wore. Nike took the athletic shoe to a different level, mainly via basketball. 

What Nike did with MJ? LOL. That was all because of MJ. Nike rode his coattails. Get real. Phil Knight wouldn't have ever been relevant without Michael Jordan.

indifferent.gif
 if Jordan went to adidas  they would have never designed anything worthwhile for jordan. they would have NEVER put the money and time in his commercials and ads. 

smh@ you... how old are you again? 

relevant without jordan? yea because that is the only signature line nike ever had working for them..

some people on here really need to stop the jordan fanboy crap... ESPECIALLY when they werent even born yet back in the day or were in diapers..

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by lawdog1

What Nike did with MJ? LOL. That was all because of MJ. Nike rode his coattails. Get real. Phil Knight wouldn't have ever been relevant without Michael Jordan.
So, you think the same exact things would have happened if Jordan signed with Converse or Adidas?  Nike's shoe designs and marketing had nothing to do with how popular "Air Jordan" became?  Obviously, Nike wouldn't have blown up in the same way if it wasn't for Jordan, but I think it was more of a two way street than you're making it out to be.

you do know i think up to the jordan 13 micheal created and made the designs...
good lord..... 
tired.gif

come on now..... 
laugh.gif

That shoe company took athletes and gave them a cutting edge and a larger than life persona. 

Those nike commercials and ads promoted the nba and its players to the world and casual fan...

Originally Posted by miamin2

They contributed in a different way than most of yall are thinking. Nike made ways for the fans of the game to feel more connected with the nba and its players by doing things like making signature shoes and all those classic commercials featuring players fans idolized. 
THANK YOU! omg... 
its like Jordan is god around here to some...

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by miamin2

THANK YOU! omg... 
its like Jordan is god around here to some...

But jordan was that major breakthrough athlete which started it all and if not for him there wouldnt be a penny, a pippen, a hardaway, a glove shoe.... And while other companies made signature shoes... outside of chuck taylors and thats only because they been out faaaaaaaaaaar longer and they arent even synonomous with basketball anymore the jordan line is the most popular signature shoe in the world.

Thats a fact we not saying jordan god, but alot of yall sound young and remind me of ppl who say stuff like oh jackie robinson isnt a big deal eventually blacks wouldve been in the mlb's or jack johnson isnt really relevent there still wouldve been a ali.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

indifferent.gif
 if Jordan went to adidas  they would have never designed anything worthwhile for jordan. they would have NEVER put the money and time in his commercials and ads. 

smh@ you... how old are you again? 

relevant without jordan? yea because that is the only signature line nike ever had working for them..

some people on here really need to stop the jordan fanboy crap... ESPECIALLY when they werent even born yet back in the day or were in diapers..
Can you please tell me why Nike would be bigger  than Adidas or Reebok in basketball today without Michael Jordan? 
It's inarguable that Phil Knight just bought his seat into the HOF. 

Sonny Vaccarro >>>>>>>>>>>>> Phil Knight

If Rocky got inducted into the Hall of Fame in boxing (one of the hardest ones to get in) hell i dont see why Phil shouldnt into The Basketball Hall of Fame

Back
Top Bottom