Photography contest/assignment #1 (UPDATED 05.22.09: VOTING BEGINS PG. 11 - please VOTE!)

edit 05.22.09 - the VOTING PROCESS has now BEGUN! let all your NT friends know, because the more votes the more fair it is!!! the voting RULESare posted below, as well as the post above the selected photos. it begins on page 11.

THE THREE RULES OF JUDGMENT:

-you may vote for ONE of the photos i picked.
-state the NUMBER of the photograph that you picked, and reply to this thread.
-state a SENTENCE or two describing WHY you picked that photograph; this will help you grow as a critic and help you realize your own mistakes much faster.

----------

edit 05.21.09 - critiques start on page 8, sorry for the delay i have been busy with on-site assignments the past few weeks! i have made an attempt to critiqueeveryone's work (in progress), the final judging will come later. thank you all!!

----------

edit: the due date is now PAST; no more submissions will be considered after the time of this edit. we'll be reviewing the photographs carefully andupdating this post with the latest and greatest of the bunch over the weekend. thank you all for participating!

I've been on NT for 4 years now, and through the years I've seen a definite increase in popularity of photography,especially with the current photography thread thriving more than ever. As a workingphotographer, I can definitely say that to see so many younger folks having an interest in photography is very inspiring. The fact that there are quite a fewtalented and creative photographers on here is even more impressive.

Although the existing photo thread is good, it's a bit unorganized, so I wanted to make a separate, organized,assignment-style photography thread. Each week, I would come up with a topic and some parameters for an assignment, and everyone willing would all take part infulfilling the assignment. At the end of the assignment, we would take the a separate week and use it to compile the "best of" per that assignment,and vote on the best photographs from that thread, and I would post the results. So this would become a 2 week process for essentially how a photography classworks at my alma mater. It will be in a similar format to how The Strobist structures his assignments.

If all goes well, and it gains plenty of popularity/good pace, I may opt out of participation and select a panel of judges formore serious critiques instead of votes of popularity, and I even have some ideas for prizes. I have plenty of photography/camera accessories that I don'tuse anymore and would be willing to donate to as prizes (think filters, memory cards, flash memory sticks, etc and maybe even an occasional small jobthat I may outsource).

Anyhoo, enough talking, let's start off the 1[sup]st[/sup] official NT photography assignment!

Background: People like predictability and patterns, whether it's in weather, or traffic lights, or even how a day isplanned. While surprises and unexpected twists and turns are sometimes nice, we more often than not would rather stick to what we know than what wedon't.

Assignment: This first week will be very simple and abstract. We'll start the week off paying homage to patterns. Takea photograph of an interesting pattern around you, whether it's a brick wall, the freeway with cars piled up, grains of sand, or whatever - make itinteresting. You are allowed a total of THREE PHOTOGRAPHS EACH, so please don't submit more than 3 in your reply posts! Borders are optional, butplease do not put logos for the sake of cheesyness. Lastly, make sure that the photograph fits within a normal browser window, 1000pixels at the longest sideshould be the MAXIMUM for any photograph. You can use any type of camera you want, be it a 35mm, dSLR, medium format, cell phone, whatever.

Critiqued criteria: Each photograph will be judged on 3 aspects: how well your photograph adheres to the assignment,creativity of the subject, and overall contribution of technique in aiding the viewer see what the photographer wants them to see.

Due date: For this first assignment, we'll give a week and a half, so it will be due Wednesday, May6[sup]th[/sup].

Have fun with the assignment, and I hope people participate so we can continue these!

nerd.gif

Cant wait to get my DSLR to throw myself into the wild with the great photographers of NT , good luck
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

It's a little late right now, but I'm interested for sure. People will catch on as the day goes by.

Bookmarked.

Yama - post this up in the photography thread cuz those are the main heads who are gonna do this.. count me in tho

i love you dude.

i shall shoot tomorrow. hopefully my 35mm dx will arrive within the next week
frown.gif

im gonna love this thread.

Sorry guys. I'm going to be so busy with work next week so I took a couple of photos this afternoon to be able to submit for Assignment 1. Here they are:

1) "Black Holes"

2) "Pebble Wash"

3) "Tiled Window"

Wish I had more time!

Originally Posted by Gregory House

I want to see some nice work.
nerd.gif
in my experience, the 1st assignment always is a bit crappier than the rest, but i'm waiting to be surprised!

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

Yama - post this up in the photography thread cuz those are the main heads who are gonna do this.. count me in tho

done. thanks for the support!
Originally Posted by mjbetch

i love you dude.

i shall shoot tomorrow. hopefully my 35mm dx will arrive within the next week
frown.gif

im gonna love this thread.

good luck! i hate waiting for camera gear, it's worse than waiting for shoes
frown.gif

Originally Posted by M Eazy724

thanks for being the 1st NT photo assignment submitter! you turned in your work early, and set the bar high as well! excited to go take some later this week,and see what others get!

Originally Posted by Ryda421

cool idea too bad I don't even know how to properly operate an SLR
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
Don't matter. Grab your point and shoot and get creative.

Back
Top Bottom