Pistons trainer banishes Nike Hyperize sneakers

Originally Posted by K I N G x B

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

I would never even THINK about wearing any of those Nike Hyper shoes or low-cuts like the Kobe IV & V on the court. People are brainwashed to believe that the cut of ur shoe determines weather or not u roll ur ankle by Nike's marketing and players like Kobe wearing them. The Hyper series are like paper, so flimsy. Like why even have that upper material there to begin with? To me it's just like wearing an extra sock; nothing there for support. Call me old school, but this new Nike lightweight stuff is JUNK. I used to get taped in HS & college (I have weak ankles) as an alternative to ankle braces because I hate that bulky support. I don't like that "locked down" feeling tape and braces give you. With that being said, I would never subject myself to a higher chance of injury by wearing these fold-able Hyper joints.

fixed
Fixed it but couldn't use the correct spelling 'whether'
smh.gif

Dude's hypothesis so far seems to be holding firm. I feel the notion about the sneakers not bein heavy enough for base support. I personally wouldn't trust hoop kicks w/ lunar foam and flywire. Just don't seem like a safe deal to me.

Originally Posted by th3darkhors3

by the way, former piston and career ankle breaker grant hill has been wearing the hyperize.

thats what i was gonna post dude been wearing um all year

Tony Reali on the ESPN show Around the Horn brought up this story today, even specifically stating, its the Nike Hyperizes. Then Woody Paige brought out an Asics running shoe and said, "This would be much better for support." LOL; you heard another guy in the background, say, "Naw, that's a running shoe!"

i think someone paid this dude to just give nike bad publicity. its not banned cuz charlie V still wears them...

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Yo is this Trapeze dude serious?

I can't tell.

Hyperize=trash.

Don't let a lower cut shoe fool you though in reference to not playing in ZK IV/V. As long as the shoe has a good base for lateral movements your fine. You're going to roll your ankle regardless of how high the cut of the shoe is depending on how you land/move in that situation.

If thats the case, why does KB tape his ankles before playing? People assume lower cut shoes are secure but they fail to understand that 95% of the league gets their ankles taped. I'm not saying high cut shoes prevent me from rolling my ankles, but I can tell you that if I wore low cut shoes with out a brace the risk of rolling my ankles would be much higher.

You answered your own question. KB tapes his ankles because 95% of the league does. The other 4% wear ASO's, then 1% don't use anything, because they don't care I guess. Wearing low cut shoes without a brace will not make that risk higher. Good tooling is the key to helping avoid rolled ankles.

You answered your own question. KB tapes his ankles because 95% of the league does. The other 4% wear ASO's, then 1% don't use anything, because they don't care I guess. Wearing low cut shoes without a brace will not make that risk higher. Good tooling is the key to helping avoid rolled ankles.

This.

Oh and I'll say it again: the Hyperizes are trash. One of the worst shoes I've had the misfortune to see and try on. The fact that the Supernatural line from Adidas is at the same price point is even worse for Nike, because those are some monsters. It's like having a Dodge and a Ferrari for the same price.

did it ever occur to you guys that it might not always be the shoes?? sure some may offer better support IF YOU ROLL YOUR ANKLE.. but overall isnt it uncontrollable?? it happens.. ive rolled my ankle in everything from low to high

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

This.

Oh and I'll say it again: the Hyperizes are trash. One of the worst shoes I've had the misfortune to see and try on. The fact that the Supernatural line from Adidas is at the same price point is even worse for Nike, because those are some monsters. It's like having a Dodge and a Ferrari for the same price.
Finally Zombie and I agree on something.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Supernatual>>>>>Hyperize ALL DAY!

Hyperizes are garbage as far as support also always hated the Jordan 7 with that flimsy ankle support but if you come down on someone's foot most of time regardless what style shoe you have on you are rolling your ankle. The jordan 14 even if its a low top is great for ball thou.

Originally Posted by solesavage

I can't tell.

Hyperize=trash.

Don't let a lower cut shoe fool you though in reference to not playing in ZK IV/V. As long as the shoe has a good base for lateral movements your fine. You're going to roll your ankle regardless of how high the cut of the shoe is depending on how you land/move in that situation.

If thats the case, why does KB tape his ankles before playing? People assume lower cut shoes are secure but they fail to understand that 95% of the league gets their ankles taped. I'm not saying high cut shoes prevent me from rolling my ankles, but I can tell you that if I wore low cut shoes with out a brace the risk of rolling my ankles would be much higher.
solesavage has a very good point. many have been duped by Nikes craptacular marketing on the hoop flywire mids of any sort whether it be hyperdunks, rizes whatever. they get NBA stars who are properly protected with ankle taping and straps to wear these thin leather/plastic/etc fabric made shoes and fly through the air like its nothing.   i also feel the same exact way about the huarache (huarache hoops strictly and AJ7s included) and some of the shoes that have these thin little straps that appear only for looks. both the huaraches and flywire based shoes are too thin around the ankle area, i could probably get more ankle protection by double socking high crew socks.

yes for lateral movements if your shoe has a good base youre fine, but when it comes to jumping, low cut shoes dont have any sort of ankle protection whatsoever. in low cut shoes, your ankle is exposed to turning or rolling. yes you may roll your ankle from time to time because[color= rgb(0, 102, 255)] mids/highs do not prevent you from rolling your ankle. they do however minimize the impact of the injury[/color] compared to low cuts which dont offer any sort of protection. see sig for personal favorite without any third party ankle protection, ive rolled my ankle in these a few times and next day ankles will be slightly sore but able to walk fine whereas with lows id probably be in crutches. *knock on wood*

But i disagree with Sole Savage because how can you accurately say you are going to
roll your ankle X times wearing high tops,
and X times wearing low tops?
You can't say this and that is better, because there is not a constant basis that your ankle will be rolled after a certain amount of games.

Also to 1212theory, it doesnt matter if your ankles are exposed or covered...your ankle joints still rotate regardless.

Its simple, if it happens, it will happen...low top or high top.
Nike is just trying to get rid of that "terrifying" hysteria from wearing low tops.

I can agree that flywire to a certain extent is a gimmick, but low cut shoes =/= high cut shoes.

http://www.greenandwhite..../20100324/GW0201/3240321

"NEW FOOT GEAR: Allen stopped short of blaming the super-light Nike Hyperdunk shoes he and Lucas have been wearing this season for their injuries, but he did say he is switching shoes this week. Detroit Pistons trainer Arnie Kander recently banned similar Nike Hyperize shoes for Pistons players because of a slew of injuries this season."

That was the first thing I thought about when Lucas got hurt last weekend. Has Nike said anything about these in any official statements?

Originally Posted by scarru

I've sprained my ankles in all cuts of shoes and honestly agree that rolling your ankles has nothing to do with the cut of the shoe and more with the lockdown for sure

Exactly. People have been playing in lowcut basketball shoes for years, it just took Kobe to make it "cool" and "functional" in many peoples eyes. I'm not mad at it at all. I still wanna try out some XX3 lows for ball.

Amazing how Nike can take such an awesome shoe like the Hyperdunk and turn it into such a dissapointment in the Rize. Tons of people are satisfied, but i've seen a lot more people complain about them in comparison to the Hyperdunk last year too.
Sorry my man but you are wrong on the Kobe making lowcuts "cool" to wear.  It was GILBERT ARENAS that started the trend with the Gil-ZEROS, not Kobe. 
If anyone of you guys know about biomechanics, you would know, ANY shoe that puts the heel higher up than the toes of the foot creates an unstable ankle. Period.  Because the Talus bone is moved a few degrees out of the socket making the ankle unstable.  Why do you think martial arts are mainly done barefoot?  Balance and stability. Even the martial arts shoes have a heel lift of only about 3 mm.  In basketball it is 10mm.  In running it is 12mm.  And this is 10mm higher than the toes.  This is 12mm higher than the toes.  So normally the forefoot of shoes are 10mm off the ground, so the heel of the shoe will be 20mm off the ground.  The higher the heel, the more unstable the ankle.  Ankles are NEVER sprained in neutral position.  It happens in Plantar flextion (when you point your toes - heel higher than your toes).  Now along with the higher heel, upper materials and the such also play a part.  
Weight doesn't.

Peace.

what trend?

bibby been wearing low tops for years.

anyways

hyperizers are g money. still ball in em

Originally Posted by solesavage

I can't tell.

Hyperize=trash.

kobe has always taped his ankle, even in high cut shoes.

most nba players do it for that extra insurance. if i had a trainer, i would get mine tape too, but i don't.

a higher cut shoe will not stop you from rolling your ankle, especially if you're gonna come down on someone's foot.

Back
Top Bottom