Pistons trainer banishes Nike Hyperize sneakers

Arnie Kander, the Detroit Pistons' longtime strength and conditioning coach, says he's never seen as many ankle, knee and groin injuries as he has this season. And he's not kidding. From opening night to mid-December, three different Pistons guards — Richard Hamilton(notes), Ben Gordon(notes) and Will Bynum(notes) — all missed time thanks to buggered ankles. What's that sayin'? Two's a coincedence; three's a trend.

So, like any good NBA trainer who moonlights as a private investigator, Kander donned his deerstalker hat and overcoat, smoked a pipe, and quickly figured out that it was a specific brand of sneakers — *COUGH* Nike Hyperizes *COUGH* — that were making the Pistons' ankles go lame.

Case closed; shoes banned.
http://
"I'm not going to name the brand of shoe it was [Ed. note: Woops!], but it has been banned from our locker room and the guys aren't allowed to wear it," Kander said. "These shoes had taken most of the support out of the sides and it was a lighter shoe. Most basketball shoes weigh between 1.4 and 1.7 pounds."

"These shoes were weighing 0.8 pounds, which was way too light as far as side support. Since we've banned the shoe, knock on wood, we haven't had any ankle sprains. Hopefully, the good Lord willing, we won't have any more and we can finish the season healthy and see what these guys can really do.

Kander, who once referred to current basketball shoes as glorified "moccasins," takes his players ankles very serious. In fact, the Pistons actually fine members of the team who don't tape their ankles because it has shown to be so effective in preventing injury. Kander's hardcore — his ankles have mustaches.

Hmm, wonder if it's a coincidence or that the Hyperizes are doo-doo.

ept_sports_nba_experts-214618543-1267129447.jpg

Just because 2 out of 3 players were wearing the Hyperizes when they got hurt, doesn't mean the shoe is garbage though.

BUT.. there is MUCH truth to his comments about shoes being lighter and the structure not being there. Dont get me wrong. I like the design. Obviously it looks like the Hyperdunk... but I'd stick with other Nike joints for support. You know how I feel. I like knowing my shoe is on my foot. lol

Those light construct Hypers aren't for me... but then again RIP doesnt wear Nikes.....

I wonder what Nike thinks about this.

Word to that trainer.

The Nike Jordan V Retros are all cursed too. Kenyon Martin break his leg in them and I got plantar fasciatis in both feet from them.

LOL....

^
Dude doesnt Rip wear Jordans so that would make it 2 out of 3 players wearing hyperizes right?

If Rip did rock them fair enough but I thought he hasnt rocked a nike shoe for a long while.

Peace
Scottie

I would never even THINK about wearing any of those Nike Hyper shoes or low-cuts like the Kobe IV & V on the court. People are brainwashed by Nike's marketing and players like Kobe wearing them. The Hyper series are like paper, so flimsy. Like why even have that upper material there to begin with? To me it's just like wearing an extra sock; nothing there for support. Call me old school, but this new Nike lightweight stuff is JUNK. I used to get taped in HS & college (I have weak ankles) as an alternative to ankle braces because I hate that bulky support. I don't like that "locked down" feeling tape and braces give you. With that being said, I would never subject myself to a higher chance of injury by wearing these fold-able Hyper joints.

I would never even THINK about wearing any of those Nike Hyper shoes or low-cuts like the Kobe IV & V on the court. People are brainwashed by Nike's marketing and players like Kobe wearing them. The Hyper series are like paper, so flimsy. Like why even have that upper material there to begin with? To me it's just like wearing an extra sock; nothing there for support. Call me old school, but this new Nike lightweight stuff is JUNK. I used to get taped in HS & college (I have weak ankles) as an alternative to ankle braces because I hate that bulky support. I don't like that "locked down" feeling tape and braces give you. With that being said, I would never subject myself to a higher chance of injury by wearing these fold-able Hyper joints.
Totally agree.  This is why I love the Jordan XII retro so much as my favorite hoops shoe of all time.  Sure its a tad on the heavy side and could breathe a little better, but its full of sturdy support, lockdown, cushioning, and traction, and has yet to let me down.

I still can't believe that the same dude who designed the Hyperize also designed the remarkable KD2... please stick to KDs, Leo!  

Originally Posted by al3x89

Originally Posted by TheTrapezeSwinger

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Just because 2 out of 3 players were wearing the Hyperizes when they got hurt, doesn't mean the shoe is garbage though.

Reading is fundamental, homie.

knowing things is fundamental too, homie.

RIP doesn't wear Nike, he wears Jordan's.

Once again, reading is fundamental, homie

So Kander did some investigating and has banned the shoes that Hamilton, Ben Gordon and Will Bynum had been wearing early in the season.
"I'm not going to name the brand of shoe it was, but it has been banned from our locker room and the guys aren't allowed to wear it," Kander said. "These shoes had taken most of the support out of the sides and it was a lighter shoe. Most basketball shoes weigh between 1.4 and 1.7 pounds.

"These shoes were weighing 0.8 pounds, which was way too light as far as side support. Since we've banned the shoe, knock on wood, we haven't had any ankle sprains. Hopefully, the good Lord willing, we won't have any more and we can finish the season healthy and see what these guys can really do.

"We've had a couple of bumps and bruises, but nothing like we had the first part of the season."
Kander had proof that it was the shoes, because when he initially told Bynum, Hamilton and Gordon to stop wearing them, Bynum continued, until he suffered another sprained ankle.
I know he wears Jordans in game but who knows what he wears in practice? I'm just going by what the article says...THREE Pistons players injured wearing the same shoes.

lighter isnt always better.

its all one big PLOY to make more money and sell "new technological" stuff. They're running out of ideas here. its not about making a better product anymore, but something that is just different.

scary world we live in.

They should banish half that roster.

I've balled seriously in hi, mid, and low sneakers, and I've sprained my ankle(s) in mids.

That's all I got...

So Kander did some investigating and has banned the shoes that Hamilton, Ben Gordon and Will Bynum had been wearing early in the season.
"I'm not going to name the brand of shoe it was, but it has been banned from our locker room and the guys aren't allowed to wear it," Kander said. "These shoes had taken most of the support out of the sides and it was a lighter shoe. Most basketball shoes weigh between 1.4 and 1.7 pounds.

"We've had a couple of bumps and bruises, but nothing like we had the first part of the season."
Kander had proof that it was the shoes, because when he initially told Bynum, Hamilton and Gordon to stop wearing them, Bynum continued, until he suffered another sprained ankle.
I know he wears Jordans in game but who knows what he wears in practice? I'm just going by what the article says...THREE Pistons players injured wearing the same shoes.

as per player contracts with their endorsers, they are not allowed to wear anything but especially where media is allowed to come in.

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

ok and that's your opinion.

my opinion is that jordan brand sucks. i've played in jordan's before and they aren't for me.

i'll stick to my kobe 4/5's, not only because they're light way.. because i'm comfortable in them. having weak ankles myself, i was skeptical about buying low cut shoes, but in reality they're much better and safer IMO. higher cut doesn't guarantee sprain-free ankles.

Finally I here people not ridin the coattails of the hyper series arguably the worst series ever in terms of durabilty. Honestly though the air flight lite is lite shoe but retains its side panels and its almost 13 years old design wise

Yo is this Trapeze dude serious?

I can't tell.

Hyperize=trash.

Don't let a lower cut shoe fool you though in reference to not playing in ZK IV/V. As long as the shoe has a good base for lateral movements your fine. You're going to roll your ankle regardless of how high the cut of the shoe is depending on how you land/move in that situation.

dude seriously just quit it. Take the L cuz some old dude doesnt know the difference between a jordan shoe and a hyperize.....and you chose to believe the article instead of your own two eyes....

And they say it's easier to hurt your ankles in low cut shoes. Haven't injured mine in my Kobe IV.
pimp.gif

I've sprained my ankles in all cuts of shoes and honestly agree that rolling your ankles has nothing to do with the cut of the shoe and more with the lockdown for sure

Originally Posted by scarru

I've sprained my ankles in all cuts of shoes and honestly agree that rolling your ankles has nothing to do with the cut of the shoe and more with the lockdown for sure

Exactly. People have been playing in lowcut basketball shoes for years, it just took Kobe to make it "cool" and "functional" in many peoples eyes. I'm not mad at it at all. I still wanna try out some XX3 lows for ball.

Amazing how Nike can take such an awesome shoe like the Hyperdunk and turn it into such a dissapointment in the Rize. Tons of people are satisfied, but i've seen a lot more people complain about them in comparison to the Hyperdunk last year too.

Back
Top Bottom