Pixar Movies appreciation

After reading the Toy Story 3 thread, I took a second to look back at these movies

Pixar movies are
pimp.gif

Up looks to follow the trend

I've seen all them with the exception of Ratatouille and Cars. Definitely appreciated both back in the day as a young'n and now.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

def*
my favorite movie company!
Its for all ages
nerd.gif

monster vs aliens was amazing..
but i cant tell between pixar and dreamworks

I still don't understand how they do it every single got damn time. They're like the God of film making studios. Its truly remarkable what they do.Wall-E was a really one of the greatest movies I've seen in a long time. Not to mention Toy Story and Finding Nemo. Can't wait for Up.

bugs life and finding nemo...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

/\ might hafta check out wall-e looks like one of those movies i could smoke a blunt to n jus be amazed hah

Cars was my least favorite, but thats not saying it was terrible at all.
Pixar FTW
Its funny looking back on Toy Story and comparing the animation to how they do it now. C-R-A-Z-Y
Toy Story will forever be my favorite tho.

Originally Posted by visualmusiC

I still don't understand how they do it every single got damn time. They're like the God of film making studios. Its truly remarkable what they do. Wall-E was a really one of the greatest movies I've seen in a long time. Not to mention Toy Story and Finding Nemo. Can't wait for Up.

QFT!

I like most of their movies.

Ratatouille was the only movie i could care less for. I just couldnt get into it.

Wall-E is on Starz onDemand right now imma have to watch it after 24 goes off or wait till tomorrow

Originally Posted by Nickthestick91

I've seen all them with the exception of Ratatouille and Cars. Definitely appreciated both back in the day as a young'n and now.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Ratatouille grew to be one of my favorites from Pixar.
It's cool that almost all of these have a lesson for the kids.
pimp.gif
x2

Monsters Inc. is definitely my favorite Pixar movie, and my favorite Disney movie behind Lion King. I'm actually pretty geeked for Up, mostly due to thefact that it's 3D.

I've seen them all, with WALL-E being my least favorite, although it's still a pretty good movie.

Woah, "Up" is coming out in just about 10 days
eek.gif
i didn'teven know..
gotta step my Pixar game up

The amazing thing about Pixar is that the studio stays consistent with putting out quality movies for all ages. Wall-E was superb. Although, Toy Story willalways be my personal favorite. My dream job would be to work at Pixar...

Rotten Tomatoes Pixar Ranking
It's crazy how 8 out 9 movies (not including UP) scored a 90% or better and 2 are at 100%.

Total Recall: Pixar's Winning Streak
We rank the animation studio's films by Tomatometer.

Once upon a time, animation could be neatly divided into two eras: BD and AD, or before and after Disney. That all changed, however, with the release of1995's Toy Story, a movie that -- although it bore the Disney logo -- marked the feature-length debut of an upstart studio named Pixar, one which signaledthe imminent discovery of brand new, computer-generated vistas for kids of all ages. Pixar has released eight films since then, all of them remarkablyCertified Fresh -- and with the studio's tenth outing, Up, landing in theaters this weekend, we thought now would be an opportune time to take a fond lookback at its full-length filmography.

Obviously, there won't be any surprises in this week's list -- but with Tomatometers ranging from 100 to 75 percent, who needs the added suspense offinding out what made the list? Whether you're an avowed animation buff or simply a fan of innovative, entertaining movies, you've probably got yourown list of favorite Pixar moments, so let's relive them now, shall we? From Toy Story to WALL-E, to infinity and beyond, here's this week's TotalRecall!

9. Cars 75%

Even the most successful family can have a black sheep, and at a relatively paltry 75 percent on the Tomatometer, 2006's Cars is Pixar's. While notpoor enough to break the studio's chain of Fresh certifications, the reviews that greeted this John Lasseter-directed tale of a young racecar (Owen Wilson)and his quest to wrest the Piston Cup from a pair of challengers (Michael Keaton and Richard Petty) weren't up to the usual Pixar standard; whetherdismissing it as unoriginal (Christy Lemire of the Associated Press accused it of "[ripping] off Doc Hollywood, almost note for note) or overlong (theChicago Reader's J.R. Jones called it "not a test of speed but endurance), the critics concluded that Cars ran a little too rough to stand alongsideearlier classics. Audiences didn't mind, though -- it grossed over $460 million -- and even if it didn't measure up to Pixar's previous, it wasstill good enough to earn praise from scribes like Chris Vognar of the Dallas Morning News, who wrote, "no other outfit can match Pixar's knack forplucking heartstrings without tearing them off the frets."

8. A Bug's Life 91%

Inspired by Aesop's fable of the ant and the grasshopper -- memorably animated in the Silly Symphonies short titled, suitably, The Grasshopper and the Ants-- Pixar's John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton spearheaded the development of Pixar's second feature, A Bug's Life, the story of a nonconformist antnamed Flik (voiced by Dave Foley) who ventures beyond his colony's island shores to recruit an army of bugs that can defend them from a gang ofmean-spirited grasshoppers (led by Kevin Spacey). When the naïve Flik mistakes a group of circus performers (including Denis Leary as a sass-mouthed ladybug)for fighters, the stage is set for another round of CGI-fueled family fun. Though A Bug's Life was overshadowed somewhat by DreamWorks Animation'ssuperficially similar Antz, and critics weren't quite as unanimous in their praise as they'd been for Toy Story, neither a $363 million worldwide grossnor a 91 percent Tomatometer are anything to sneer at -- and in the end, as CNN's Paul Tatara observed, "if this movie doesn't make you smile youmay not know how.

7. Monsters, Inc. 95%

It starred Billy Crystal as a fast-talking schemer who was physically dwarfed by his sidekick, but despite that surface similarity to the misbegotten My Giant,Pixar hit another home run with its fourth feature, 2001's Monsters, Inc. The tale of Mike (Crystal) and Sulley (John Goodman), two employees of thetitular kiddie-scaring company, Monsters imagines a world in which children's screams are the energy source that powers the secret city of Monstropolis --and one in which the monsters themselves are just 9-to-5 clock punchers with problems of their own, such as mistakenly letting a child follow them back to theoffice. Mike and Sulley are worried about more than just getting written up -- the monsters believe the children are toxic -- but they soon discover that notonly is inter-species harmony possible, but it may hold the key to their civilization's looming energy crisis. It's admittedly rather heady stuff for afamily-friendly CGI comedy, but Pixar has always been good at slipping subtext into a candy-colored shell, and Monsters, Inc. is no different. "Theanalogy to our dependence on, say, oil is soon abandoned, the better to blur the distinction between abstract and concrete, wrote Lisa Alspector of the ChicagoReader, pointing out "something older viewers of this 2001 animated adventure may appreciate more than younger ones.

6. Ratatouille 96%

For anyone who'd been counting down the days until Pixar's inevitable downfall, the period between the lukewarm critical reception afforded Cars andthe debut of 2007's Ratatouille seemed like it might be the beginning of the end: not only was the studio working on a movie with a rather unappetizingprotagonist -- a rat who wanted to be a gourmet chef -- but the movie itself had something of a troubled journey to the screen, including a Pixar-mandateddirector swap that ousted the film's creator, Jan Pinkava, and replaced him with Brad Bird. All's well that ends well, though, and by the timeRatatouille reached theaters in June of '07, it was abundantly clear that all the creative turmoil had paid off -- not only did it provide Pixar withanother box office bonanza, gathering up more than $621 million in worldwide receipts, but it quickly established itself as yet another critical winner for thestudio, ending up with a 96 percent Tomatometer rating and a bunch of glowing reviews from critics like Newsweek's David Ansen, who called it "a filmas rich as a sauce béarnaise, as refreshing as a raspberry sorbet, and a lot less predictable than the damn food metaphors and adjectives all us critics willchurn out to describe it. OK, one more and then I'll be done: it's yummy.

5. WALL-E 96%

How do you deal with the incredible expectations created by eight films, and almost 15 years, of solid excellence? Conventional wisdom would say to play itsafe and fall back on everything that's worked for you before -- but Pixar has never been conventional, and they proved it again with 2008's WALL-E, amovie that took the studio's knack for adorable characters and hyper-realistic CG animation and flung it into the uncharted (and even a little avant garde)regions of outer kidvid space. It's hard to imagine any other studio having success with a family film this idiosyncratic -- a movie about a lonelytrash-compacting robot with a mostly dialogue-free first act doesn't exactly scream summer blockbuster -- but audiences trusted the Pixar brand enough toshow up in droves, and they were rewarded with not only one of the best-reviewed animated release of 2008, but what was, in the words of the Boston Globe'sJay Carr, "the best American film of the year to date." WALL-E came with a surprising bit of controversy, drawing fire from conservative pundits whowere annoyed with what they interpreted as a left-wing, anti-business message, but its 96 percent Tomatometer and massive $534 million gross drowned out thechatter. As with just about everything Pixar has done, it works whether you're looking to be edified or simply entertained; as the New York Times' A.O.Scott noted, "it is, undoubtedly, an earnest (though far from simplistic) ecological parable, but it is also a disarmingly sweet and simple love story,Chaplinesque in its emotional purity.

4. The Incredibles 97%

Pixar has been known to build a winsome feature around what looks like a questionable storyline, but they've also developed some wonderfully original stuff-- like 2004's The Incredibles, which looks at what can happen when a superhero trades in costumed adventure for domestic tranquility too soon. Exiled to asuburban family life after a series of mishaps leads to the government putting the kibosh on super-powered crimefighters, the former Mr. Incredible (voiced byCraig T. Nelson) deals with the monotony of his new job at an insurance company by sneaking out after hours and upholding truth and justice on the QT with hisbest friend, Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson). His secret doesn't stay secret for long, of course -- not from his superhuman wife (Holly Hunter) and kids, andnot from the supervillain whose nefarious plot draws them all together. As with roughly 70 percent of all kids' movies, The Incredibles teaches a lessonabout the value of being yourself, but even if the moral of the story isn't exactly unique, the characters and situations offered a nifty twist on thesuperhero craze -- and writer/director Brad Bird (The Iron Giant) proved an excellent addition to the Pixar stable. It is, in the words of ReelViews' JamesBerardinelli, an "exemplary mixture of top-notch storytelling, visual razzle-dazzle, accessible humor, and involving action."

3. Finding Nemo 98%

After going somewhat high-concept with Monsters, Inc., the studio took things back to basics for 2003's Finding Nemo, following the adventures of a singlefather (Albert Brooks) and his brain-damaged acquaintance (Ellen DeGeneres) as they desperately search for his kidnapped son. It reads like a tense,Missing-style thriller, but this is Pixar: the characters are all animated talking fish, and in lieu of pulse-pounding drama, it serves up the adorable anticsof ocean critters like a porcupinefish named Bloat (Brad Garrett) and a laid back sea turtle named Crush (voiced by writer/director Andrew Stanton). Which isnot to say that Nemo lacks action or adventure -- there are numerous edge-of-your-seat set pieces -- nor does it come without a valuable message, underscoringthe difficulty (and the importance) of letting children develop their own identities. Audiences expected nothing less from Pixar at this point, and rewardedthe studio with a worldwide gross just shy of $865 million; meanwhile, critics set aside their usual cynicism for a couple of hours to pronounce Nemo, in thewords of Rolling Stone's Peter Travers, "a thing of beauty, hugely entertaining and way cool."

2. Toy Story 100%

In 1937, Walt Disney Pictures turned conventional wisdom on its head by proving that animation -- heretofore the realm of short films starring talking critters-- could be successfully utilized to tell a full-length story starring realistic human characters. That film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, charted the paththe studio -- and animation pretty much in general -- followed for almost six decades, until Pixar came long and changed everything with Toy Story. Like SnowWhite before it, Toy Story was an eye-popping technical marvel with a heart to match its stunning visuals -- and like Snow White, it kick-started the growth ofa studio whose unprecedented success would redefine an art form. Of course, no one could have known all that in 1995; we only knew that it was, in the words ofRoger Ebert, "a visionary roller-coaster ride of a movie." Subsequent Pixar releases have deepened and refined the technology and storytellingapproach seen here, but unlike pretty much anything else considered cutting-edge in 1995, it still seems almost as fresh as it did on the day it was released.As Michael Booth of the Denver Post wrote, "It's a landmark movie, and doesn't get old with frequent repetition."

1. Toy Story 2 100%

Considering how successful the first installment was -- not to mention Disney's original plan to make the sequel a direct-to-video affair -- not manypeople would have been surprised if Toy Story 2 had fallen flat when it landed in theaters in 1999. But with Tom Hanks back as Woody, Tim Allen back as Buzz,and an adventure that took Andy's toys on an adventure every bit as exciting as their first, the second Story proved that some movie characters really dohave more than one story worth telling -- and that even when it came to movies with numbers after the title, Pixar meant business. Speaking of business, ToyStory 2's was extraordinarily healthy, to the tune of a $485 million worldwide gross -- and the public's obvious enthusiasm for the movie was backed upby the critics, who duplicated the original's 100 percent Tomatometer on the strength of reviews like the one from Jay Carr of the Boston Globe, who wrotethat it was "everything you could want in a sequel," or Jeff Millar of the Houston Chronicle, who observed, "the Pixar people just get betterand better."

pimp.gif
x infinity

It's amazing how allof these Pixar movies have great stories/plots and you see so many special effects blockbusters w' ridiculously horrible writing..Anyways, super appreciated! Can't wait to see Up this weekend!

Pixar & everyone in it must be ballin', all their movies hardly needs any live effects, everything's digital. They still make the best films
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom