Planning a trip to Japan any tips would help.

Originally Posted by dstylezs

Was there a few years ago, I made a big thread about it then, not sure if its still around.. My honest advice is go out and get lost. You'll enjoy every minute of it... Yes it is sneakerhead heaven, but make sure you appreciate all that Japan has to offer other than sneaker related.. You will remember it more when you come home, and it will make you want to go back many times over...
Dont take cabs anywhere as they literally charge and arm and a leg.. The japanese subway system is bar non one of the best, and getting around that way its the easiest way... Food is incredible and like the rule of thumb goes, the smaller and more hole in the wall the place looks, the more amazing the food taste.. If going out to clubs and such remember that the metro closes at 2 or 3a, i think, but opens back up at 6ish.. so if you cant make it before then just stay out and have more fun hahaha..
I remember there were 3-5 NTers that lived there, but im not sure if they still do as this was a few years back (2005)

Hope that helps.. If you got any specific questions dont hesitate to ask.

I was there last May and the stations closed down at 1. We were like twenty minute away via train and we got twisted and left the spot too late. So wedidn't wanna pay like 100 bucks for the taxi ride so we just kept drinking and tried to stay up till the trains started again.
laugh.gif
, ended up being one ofthe best nights we had
pimp.gif
. We met these skater dudes and kicked it with them. Dude even let me sleep in his car. Next thing I know he is waking me up andI'm in front of my hotel
eek.gif
. The nicest people ever

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

Seriously. I'm black, 6 foot 200 lbs and I speak japanese. They were absolutely losing thier minds. Me and my friend would take pics and I would ask random people nearby to take the pic for us in japanese and they would trip
eek.gif
laugh.gif
, I have so many stories fam. The best one was when we went on this double date with the FLYEST japanese girls. We ended up at this place playing pool. It was packed. full of highschool kids (all wearing suits
pimp.gif
). Most of them are mad intimidated or just nervous, but this one kid (good lookin confident type dude) could speak decent english and came up to me to talk. He asked me what sports I liked etc, and then he asked if I could dunk. I was like "yeah." So he's like "waaaaaa!?" (wow). He startes looking around all frantic, and then he points out this bar type thing that crosses the ceiling...and ask me if I can touch it. it was 9 feet high maybe
laugh.gif
. Keep in mind there are like 30 peeps watching in complete silence. [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]So I just casually jump up at touch it two hands and the y FLIP[/color]
eek.gif
roll.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]. Like they start trippin[/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]. Bowing to me, running up and giveing high fives. They ask me to do it numerous times so that they can get it recorded oh cell phones and stuff.[/color] It was too funny man. Damn, I love nihon, can't wait till I go to Waseda Dai gaku
pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
...damn, it was THAT serious for them huhh...
laugh.gif

And as for the OP, my tip to you--stay away from the Village Hidden in the Leaves (also referred to as Konoha). My contact told me a while back that the 4thgreat Ninja War was about to start--and I doubt you want to be caught up in that.

Also watch out for Ichi the Killer. Heard he was back in town.

Originally Posted by Sacking2023

Taking a trip to Japan the Summer of 2010. I was wondering if anyone has been there before. Or possibly lives there now. Or you just have ideas on what I should do while there. Any trip ideas would be helpful.

SacKing2023

Bring lots of money. Go to Roppungi but stay away from the africans and there clubs. Go to Kobe for sure. Place is beautiful
eek.gif
. Who are you going with? Can you speak?
Going with some friends, hopefully the don't flake. Don't speak but I have Rosetta Stone to teach me.

Taking a trip to Japan the Summer of 2010. I was wondering if anyone has been there before. Or possibly lives there now. Or you just have ideas on what I should do while there. Any trip ideas would be helpful.

SacKing2023

Bring lots of money. Go to Roppungi but stay away from the africans and there clubs. Go to Kobe for sure. Place is beautiful
eek.gif
. Who are you going with? Can you speak?
Going with some friends, hopefully the don't flake. Don't speak but I have Rosetta Stone to teach me.

Rosetta stone will def give you the basics. Don't be afraid to speak top people either. They are patient, and they will help you with your Japanese. BUTREMEMBER, Roppungi (in tokyo, its's like a district in a town that is in tokyo. think of how times square is in manhatton which is in Ney york city
nerd.gif
)isoff the chain but steer clear of the Africans that are from "New York" apparently
smh.gif

Roppongi is wildly overrated, especially since it's mostly hustlers and tourists. If you want a good nightlife spot in Tokyo go to Shibuya.

Yo OP, you must climb Mt Fuji. The feeling you get once you reach the top is amazing.

Be prepared to hold your trash. I seemed to be the only one eating on the go, and couldnt find a trash can anywhere.

Try to hit up Yokohama (large city) and Kamakura (small country town)

Hit up a baseball game if you can. The crowd is into it the whole game, its crazy.

Originally Posted by peep tha sneaKs

Yo OP, you must climb Mt Fuji. The feeling you get once you reach the top is amazing.

Be prepared to hold your trash. I seemed to be the only one eating on the go, and couldnt find a trash can anywhere.

Hit up a baseball game if you can. The crowd is into it the whole game, its crazy.
That's because it's frowned upon to eat while walking.

Train stations are one of the few places where you will find trash cans in public.

But I agree with you on the baseball games, it's not even comparable to MLB contests. It's more like college football.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Roppongi is wildly overrated, especially since it's mostly hustlers and tourists. If you want a good nightlife spot in Tokyo go to Shibuya.

Shibuya is dope but Roppubgi is just as good, just stay away from the husltin africans like I mentioned

Originally Posted by peep tha sneaKs

That's because it's frowned upon to eat while walking.

Train stations are one of the few places where you will find trash cans in public.

But I agree with you on the baseball games, it's not even comparable to MLB contests. It's more like college football.

Yeah man eating/drinking while walking is a no go
laugh.gif
. I tried to not do it but I was just like %%@+ it
laugh.gif

I visited all the major districts of Tokyo last spring break and I have to say, the district with the most fine females was Shibuya. I could be way off thoughbeing that I was only in Tokyo for a week. Either way, that major intersection in Shibuya is nuts..mad people crossing all ways.

Here's some pictures of my trip a couple years ago

View of the country side. Bottom of Mt Fuji. I started the hike after being awake for 35 hrs straight.

Taking a breather. They had resting places throughout the trek on the mountain. Restroom, food, water, etc.

Finally made it to the top of Mt Fuji. The view was crazy. Air was so fresh and so clean clean. There were restaurants up there and it felt like a swap meet.It was funny, cause up there people kept pointing to me and kept saying "jordan" cause of my shirt.

Whats on the very very top of Mt Fuji

Big sushi

random alley

Tokyo Tower

They love their imports

FUKUDOME was playing

Daibatsu statue in Kamakura

nothing like airport food

stopover in hawaii before heading back to LAX Highly recommend everyone to visit Japan if they get a chance. I plan on coming back again, cause a week was waytoo short. BTW, the nightlife and underground malls/shops of Yokohama was crazy.

Shibuya is dope but Roppubgi is just as good, just stay away from the husltin africans like I mentioned
Roppungi? lol why say it like that? 六本木

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Roppungi? lol why say it like that? 六本木

Oh yeah bring a hand towel and some hand sanitizer since none of the restrooms have paper towels or soap dispensers but at least there's a lot ofrelatively clean public restrooms all over.

Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with Americans pissing all over everything in the public restrooms in the States.

Unless you're feeling adventurous use the restroom when you can in case you end up somewhere with only Asian style squat toilets.

The Africans are pretending to be from NY now? Heard it was Jamaican before that.

Most outlets only have 2 prongs but are pretty much the same as in the US so keep that in mind if you're bringing a laptop or something. If you need aphone you can rent one from SoftBank. Someone suggested I get aJapanese cell phone (do want!) and get a prepaid card but I know at least if I rent the phone I get my number before I leave so I can let people know before Iarrive. Seems like if you go the card route you'd have to wait until you get the card in Japan to find out your number not to mention you might have toknow some Japanese to activate it.

Fly an Asian airline if you can. JAL was pretty good. Flight attendants kept coming by offering drinks and snacks like every 10-15 minutes. It's a longflight so might as well pay a little more to make it as bearable as possible. Anyone have good experiences with the other airlines?

I'm gonna work in Japan next few years.. Can't wait. Japanese people are mad chill

Don't mean to thread jack, but how did you go about getting plane tix?(im planning on going to asia HK to be exact, and am looking for any advice ongetting some cheap tix)

^^ If you are in college check out the international department, seriously. Them people in there got the hook up like you'd never believe

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

Originally Posted by blaxoid

I'm gonna work in Japan next few years.. Can't wait. Japanese people are mad chill
Are you going to be teaching?
If it's not teaching, it most likely will not be chill.
yep. entering the japanese job world is depressing. hours of slaving for 'the company', it's no wonder so many die from exhaustion.and there's a glass ceiling for most people, especially if you're going as a foreigner.

forreal , they seem to work them loooong hours.

oh yea, be prepared for alotta pushing and shoving...and be a packed sardine on the subways....

^^ If you are in college check out the international department, seriously. Them people in there got the hook up like you'd never believe
What do you mean?

Say if I am not in school, can I go to a local university and get the hookup? Why do they have hookups?

Taking a trip to Japan the Summer of 2010. I was wondering if anyone has been there before. Or possibly lives there now. Or you just have ideas on what Ishould do while there. Any trip ideas would be helpful.

SacKing2023
OP, you should check out this blog:  http://www.japanitup.com/

Back
Top Bottom