Plantar Fasciitis..... DAMN IT! *@## HURTS LIKE A $#%+%%+%!%*#

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Anybody got tips to get rid of the pain? Runners feel free to chime in.

I'm suffering from heel spurs and achillies tendonitis (symptoms are close) right now....get yourself a good heal/arch insert...also you can use a golf ball to roll around on your foot where the pain is(it will hurt, but works). Not sure if you are having achillies pain yet, but it will come. I just bought a boot that I sleep in that makes your foot/calf stretch while you sleep.

These are all home remedies, if you can get physio, go do that. They will massage and do ultrasound on the area to get rid of the pain

i hope i dont have plantar-fascitis. but all signs are pointing to it, my arch and heel hurts for about 30 seconds every morning when i hop outta bed. im looking into some more shoes inserts hopefully that help. *feelsbadman*

im not a runner but i play basketball weekly on a cement court.

I used to teach a swimming class and had several people say that it helped with theirs. They got it from playing tennis...

i had it. other than going to a podiatrist who made me custom insoles, he told me to stretch a lot. basically any ankle stretch done several times daily, (lean up against a wall and bend one knee while keeping the foot flat will stretch the whole foot.) that's the best way i can explain it. i also had cortisone shots to help but that was a couple of years ago so now i stretch every once in a while when it acts up.

i have Achilles tendonitis and it hurts like hell after i play soccer/bball. I would get inserts to relieve the pain

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

either you're flat foot and wear cheap shoes, or you have bad form when you run ....i used to get shin splints, until understood the importance of good sneakers and stretching.

I feel this is definitely the case, because I NEVER had this before. For the past month I've been running everyday, and most the days I used my wack $$$ Pumas. I been neglecting my Free Runs, and now I suffered the consequence. SMH @ Myself!

I THINK I've had this before. I read up on it and all the symptoms sounded like it. I got it from playing tennis and incidentally, I was playing in my ATC 2's, which are not a performance shoe. Dunno if that was the cause, but I when I got better, I went back to my "performance" shoes and have been ok since (touch wood). I have flat-feet so that probably also attributed to it.

Anyway, I did the tennis-ball-rolling trick to help stretch out my arch, while taking anti-inflammatories and icing it daily. Don't just stretch your arches... get into a habit of stretching your calves, Achilles, hammys, etc. I think it all helps.

i suffered from it for a while. pain was rediculous. Then upon doing some research, I found arch braces. Wearing these every day, plus stretching helped me heal a bit faster. Now I can tell you it's been years since i've had THAT kind of pain. If i end up sore after a run, i know that I didn't stretch properly, i'll take the next day or two off, and stretch...and then i'm back to good as new!

link for the braces I was wearing (copied and pasted)

http://www.footsmart.com/...C02YK31qoCFQPrKgodQmGY8w

i suffer from this, had it so bad one day, i woke up stepped out of bed fell right back down because of the pain, take anti inflammatory meds, elevate, and ice, thats what works for me

Do not wear free-run shoes to actually run in and not expect foot issues.  Wear a shoe with a good arch support. Check to see if you pronate or supinate. I supinate and have flat feet. I also had a leg injury that caused my weaker leg/foot to be over worked. Try a new balance, Saucony or Asics shoe with dual density midsole. 

For you guys with achillies tendonitis, check out a "night-splint" which keeps the calf and tendon stretched as you sleep. 

splint.jpg

Originally Posted by pookieman

Do not wear free-run shoes to actually run in and not expect foot issues.  Wear a shoe with a good arch support. Check to see if you pronate or supinate. I supinate and have flat feet. I also had a leg injury that caused my weaker leg/foot to be over worked. Try a new balance, Saucony or Asics shoe with dual density midsole. 

Why not? Are you talking about NIKE FREE shoes in specific or minimalist shoes in general? They may not work for everyone but they damn sure worked for me.
My mom had plantar fasciitis, I bought her a pair of vibram fivefingers which she has been SLOWLY acclimating herself with for about 2 years, and has not complained about the plantar fasciitis pain in more than a year. 

Minimalist shoes might not be the best for flat footed folks but they definitely help for a lot of (other) people. The concept is to let your foot build itself up (by not offering any support). As with anything this serious, though, the most important thing is to take whatever you're trying to do slowly. 

Theres NOTHING you can do about it but keep ice on it and get rest i had it in high school and i use to get my shins taped. Then wore a sleeve on the shin that hurt.

Glad you posted that. There is also a night splint for plantar fascitis that you can get for $11:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=59RLTv_UI4WbtweI7uDrCg&ved=0CGwQ8wIwAA

As stated before stretching is one good treatment for it.

Another very very effective treatment is to freeze a moderately full water bottle, then roll it up and down the bottom of your foot just as you would a tennis ball for 15 minutes every now and then. Your steps should look something like this for athletic activity:

1) Heat for 10 minutes before exercise with heat pack

2) Stretch Calves

3) Exercise

4) Stretch Again

5) Frozen Water Bottle Roll 15 min

6) Sleep With Plantar Fascitis Night Splint

Should be able to at least manage the symptoms if not rid yourself of it completely like that.

1) If you go to the gym try and lift weights sitting down for a couple months.
2) Stop wearing sandals for a couple months.
3) Buy foot arch bands and wear them for a few weeks in the evening.
4) Massage your feet before getting out of bed.

I did all 4 things and have no more plantar. Two of my firends also tried this and it worked. Let me know if it worked for you.

I weight lift (3x a week), play soccer (2x a week) and bball (2x a month) if that matters.

Originally Posted by richyung412

Theres NOTHING you can do about it but keep ice on it and get rest i had it in high school and i use to get my shins taped. Then wore a sleeve on the shin that hurt.

That's BS...there is a ton of things that you can do to get rid of it

And to dude above,,,,I should have added if you are flat footed or if you an abnormal step....I'm actually headed to my therapist for a session of ultrasound, acupuncture and massage...I'll ask her what she says.

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

i have Achilles tendonitis and it hurts like hell after i play soccer/bball. I would get inserts to relieve the pain

Im dealing with my Achilles hurting for the last 3 weeks, my left more than my right. Its fine when Im walking but the second I start running its tight and feels extra sore.

As soon as I stop running, Im basically hobbling around. Would ankle braces or wraps relieve any of the pain while Im running around?

Had it back in the day due to wrong shoes...  Poor fit for my foot...  Dimensionally plenty of room but performance wise...  terrible for my feet...  Nike Ultraflights circa early 2000s

Anyways - Rest, ice, massage, and more rest...  Then make sure you try out a new pair kicks.  I moved over to Air Max Uptempos and Foam Pros...

Thanks guys for all the help!

To those links provided, the arch brace. Do you wear that daily or only when you sleep?

I had issues with this last summer playing rugby, it was an absolute pain in the %*# to play with.

Anti-inflammatory and icing did the trick.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Thanks guys for all the help!

To those links provided, the arch brace. Do you wear that daily or only when you sleep?
It can be worn any time, but more commonly it's prescribed for use at night since it is restrictive to movement and might make some regular daily activities harder than they need to be. 
I forgot to add that another important time for you to stretch is when you first wake up in the morning, especially if you aren't using the night brace. If you're a morning shower type person, it's great for the foot to take a warm/ hot shower to get the muscles loose followed by calf stretching when you get out. The same can go for at night as well, but that morning stretch is more important since the muscles will be tighter after first waking than they are at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom