playing basketball helps stretch bones to grow taller?

Slightly true. I probably would have been taller, but I had acl surgery my junior year and it screwed with my growth plates. I've only grown three inchessince high school and I played ball and worked out religiously. I'm 6'2" now, btw.

first off, bones don't stretch. secondly, I highly doubt such a statement would be true. there are many players that have been mentioned in this posthaving a sudden spurt during the latter part of their high school years/beginning college years, but I doubt basketball had a lot to do with it. there arePLENTY of people not in the NBA who are well above "average" height who probably don't play basketball much, if at all.

height is based on lifestyle (health,nutrition, sleep, etc), HGH, and testosterone levels.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

its completely dumb, one of the dumbest things i've heard. height is determined mainly by genetics, slightly by nutrition.

i'm pretty sure Muggsy Bogues, Allen Iverson, Earl Boykins etc played basketball all their lives and none of them is tall.

cant even fathom how you could believe this

Na bro, they'd be 4'11.

I read somewhere that height is 40% genetic. I'm the tallest person in my family 6'6" and I've been playing basketball and eating well mywhole life. I don't these things make you grow taller, but I think good health maximizes your height potential. I would suggest that you DO NOT TAKE ANYDRUGS/ALCOHOL because I'm pretty sure these things do in fact stunt your growth.

I have a friend who was taller than me my whole life. He was 6'1" in 7th grade and has a 6'9" armspan. He started doing drugs and he stoppedgrowing around 6'3". That's as much proof as I need.

how would you know that caused him to stop growing? Nothing stops you from growing, its either you grow to be tall or short. You cant really do anything aboutit but either get testosterone or hgh at a young age and shell out a lot of money for it. Other then that your gonna grow the way your supposed to.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

If that was true, everybody in the NBA would be tall.

just about everybody is
roll.gif

my grandpa is 5'0..grandma is 4'9 (dads side)
grandpa - ??(r.i.p) grandma - 4'11

mom - 4'11 ... dad - 5'2

me - 5'8....and yes, im a baller...theres still hope...6ft..here i come

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

how would you know that caused him to stop growing? Nothing stops you from growing, its either you grow to be tall or short. You cant really do anything about it but either get testosterone or hgh at a young age and shell out a lot of money for it. Other then that your gonna grow the way your supposed to.

How expensive, and what do I tell the doctor in order to get it??

smoking and drinking do stunt your growth.
and maybe your looking at it the wrong way, you're saying that peope who play basketball are tall, but maybe they play basketball because they're tall
and plus, there are enough short basketball players everywhere you go

my cuz is four eleven no lie and she plays ball like theres no tomorrow

shes like 26 now

Even if you end up tall, how would you know it had to do with playing basketball? I always felt a healthy diet and exercise might add half an inch to yourpredetermined height, nothing drastic.

im filipino and have been playin ball my whole life.. 6'3..

yet most of the other older flips i play with remain 5'6 and below lol

guess genetics helps

That might be somewhat true.

I played my HS freshman year and I grew 3 inches, and I played as a PF/C. I was 2nd tallest on my team.
I'm about 6'0" now, and I've maintained the same diet and eating habits ever since then.
My team mates that kept playing for the past 2 years passed me up and they're like 6'2"-6'3" now, which is funny because I use to towerover them.
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

i don't know how it'd work if you're older or anything. but my mom is a pediatrician and parents come in all the time asking for HGH (human growthhormone) for their kids (usually around 10-12). you'll probably have to go through a series of tests before they can do it

again, not sure if what they do on people that are older. and if you play HS sports they might do drug testing or something because technically its a steroid.

and the kicker is its really expensive. you need regular injections, so we're talking a couple thousand a year
ohwell.gif

but if you're really interested, you can say something to your doctor about growth hormone the next time you see him

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

i don't know how it'd work if you're older or anything. but my mom is a pediatrician and parents come in all the time asking for HGH (human growth hormone) for their kids (usually around 10-12). you'll probably have to go through a series of tests before they can do it

again, not sure if what they do on people that are older. and if you play HS sports they might do drug testing or something because technically its a steroid.

and the kicker is its really expensive. you need regular injections, so we're talking a couple thousand a year
ohwell.gif

but if you're really interested, you can say something to your doctor about growth hormone the next time you see him

If you are average height or taller they probably won't do it fyi. They normally only give hgh to children who show less than normal growth in earlyyears. And as stated, if you are older and past your primary growth years it won't be very helpful in making you taller.

seeing as our body is designed to evolve to fit our everyday circumstances then it may be possible for this to be true...but more then likely it will justaffect your kids more then you because like stated our height is often predisposed by our parents.

Back
Top Bottom