Pleas to leave lost Amazon tribe alone

[h1]Pleas to leave lost Amazon tribe alone[/h1]
May 30, 2008 05:38pm

Article from: AAP

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

0,,6067451,00.jpg

APPEALS have been made to leave alone the members of one of Brazil's last uncontacted Indian tribes, spotted in the Amazon jungle near the Peruvianborder.

The Indians were sighted and photographed from an aircraft or helicopter during flights over the rainforest in remote Acre state, said Brazil's NationalIndian Foundation, known as Funai.

Funai said it photographed "strong and healthy" warriors, six huts and a large planted area.

The photographs show red-painted tribe members brandishing bows and arrows.

Funai said it was not known to which tribe they belonged.

"Four distinct isolated peoples exist in this region, whom we have accompanied for 20 years," Funai expert Jose Carlos Meirelles Junior said.

"We did the overflight to show their houses, to show they are there, to show they exist," he said.

"This is very important because there are some who doubt their existence."

The tribe spotted recently is one of the last not to be contacted by officials.

Funai does not make contact with such tribes and prevents invasions of their land to ensure their autonomy, the foundation said.

Survival International said the Indians were in danger from illegal logging in Peru, which is driving uncontacted tribes over the border and could lead toconflict with the estimated 500 uncontacted Indians now living on the Brazilian side.

There are more than 100 uncontacted tribes worldwide, most of them in Brazil and Peru, the group said.

"These pictures are further evidence that uncontacted tribes really do exist," Survival director Stephen Corry said.

"The world needs to wake up to this, and ensure that their territory is protected in accordance with international law. Otherwise, they will soon be madeextinct."

Mr Meirelles described the threats to such tribes and their land as "a monumental crime against the natural world" and "further testimony to thecomplete irrationality with which we, the 'civilised' ones, treat the world", the BBC reported.

One Australian-based linguist says the tribe should be left alone.

LaTrobe University professor Alexandra Aikhenvald said contact with white people had not brought much good to indigenous tribes in history so far.

"My reaction is excitement because it is always extremely interesting to see new peoples being discovered," she told ABC radio.

"But I think they would be extremely scared after seeing the aircraft.

"They may just leave because they may have this idea that is some sort of gigantic bird that wants to engulf them all or that it is some sort of invadersor anything like that caution and care."

Ms Aikhenvald doubts the tribe has never had contact with white people, but says it is not impossible.

"Many of them had contact with white people at different times in the past but basically in the 19th Century and then during the rubber boom, many of themjust fled," she said.

"Maybe they are descendants of those groups that fled from white supremacy maybe 100 or more years ago."

Heres a photo Gallery of the pictures taken via Helicopter
http://www.news.com.au/gallery/0,23607,5032070-5007150-1,00.html

I frankly don't care...Why should we try to help them when they don't need our help. Their living life their way.

i agree just let them be

it's cool to see photos and what not but they are probably freaked as hell like the world is ending after that

Originally Posted by areyouin729

i agree just let them be

it's cool to see photos and what not but they are probably freaked as hell like the world is ending after that
hell yeah you see that pic of them aiming their bow and arrow and the plane. probably thought it was a dragon or something

thats crazy that in the world we live in indigenous tribes like that still exist. Its amazing how lifestyles differ man. They should let them be. But in Peruand Brazil oil companies are entering. IE. Petrobrass paying people a few thousand to use their boats and keeping them happy. At the same time deforesting theamazon and causing crime and destruction. Its sad but it goes with the territory of an advancing world.

they gearing up for war right now-

but its good this is getting national attention...maybe they'll get left alone

if we didnt hear about it and somebody needed that land bad enough all it would take is a few guys and a couple of guns and bam that tribe is no more

THats crazy. Im amazed. PLEASE LEAVE THEM ALONE.. What would you do if you saw one in the woods??

[Dave Chappelle] I studied you in Social Studies....You're a hunter-gatherer, correct? [Dave Chappelle]

Yeah that's kinda crazy.. I bet those tribesmen/women are shook! And in a sense, it must be more shocking to them to see us than it would be for us to seealiens.. Do they even have the capacity or knowledge of the outside world? Or even the mere thought of the possibility of it? I doubt it..

Raw and untouched culture. Amazing that both North and South America were at one time all like this.
I hope it stays that way, but the thrist for resources (wood, gold, oil, ect) will eventually drive these tribes out.

Originally Posted by eeibaby

[Dave Chappelle] I studied you in Social Studies....You're a hunter-gatherer, correct? [Dave Chappelle]
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Go in there trying to "civilize" them if they want +*#@ around and get Legolas'd up...

legolas_logo.jpg

Originally Posted by eeibaby

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif