Please help my mom beat Stage 4 Breast Cancer

Never in a million years did I think I would have to make a post like this but here we go...

My mom's been battling crippling depression and anxiety for the last few years now. On 6/8 she went into work and her coworker said she didn't look good and rushed her to the ER. After about 10 hours and a bunch of tests, along with my mom's consent, they decided to admit her to the psychiatric unit. She was tired of the endless medication switches, struggling to get out of bed and go to work, lack of motivation, everything. We decided together as a family that she should try electroconvulsive therapy as we heard it was a good option for people who medication wasn't helping anymore. We noticed very slight improvements in her mood after a few treatments but little by little her breathing was becoming very labored. It got to a point where she couldn't walk from her bed to the visiting area 20 feet without being extremely short of breath. After a bunch of complaining they finally listened to us and transferred her to pulmonology and ordered some more tests. They found a ton of fluid in her lungs and some lesions on her lung, liver and bone...they did a pathology report and it pretty much confirmed that my mom's breast cancer from a few years ago came back. We were in complete shock because we didn't even know it was possible for breast cancer to come back after having a double mastectomy. Saying this has been one of the hardest weeks of our life would be an understatement...

A little info about my mom. She came to this country as a refugee and although she's had a lot of good moment's she's also dealt with a ton of adversity. She lost her best friend, her sister to breast cancer in 99. Became the primary caregiver to my grandma who's Alzheimer's kicked into full gear after losing her daughter and then she passed a few years later. Then she gets diagnosed with breast cancer and beats it. Then my dad gets diagnosed with Lymphoma and helped him fight it as long as he could but he ended up passing in 2011. I can't even begin to put into words the things I saw her do for my father. She would spend entire weekends at the hospital with him, since he would be there for weeks at a time after undergoing two bone marrow transplants. It got to a point were the nurses learned her schedule and would wake her up Monday mornings so she could catch the subway and train back to long island go to work. Rinse and repeat for almost a few months. It was incredibly hard on us after my dad passed but after a while we learned to live with it and kind of move on with our lives...then she gets breast cancer again in 2014. She beats it again, and opts to remove her breasts. We breathe a sigh of relief and think this nightmare is finally over for my family...until this last week.

I really wouldn't be doing this if we didn't have to but we have to be prepared for the financial burden we're about to face. Money is one of our least concerns right now to be honest but it's still a concern nonetheless. My mom is essentially going to lose her job after her FMLA runs out after which her health insurance is going to become an issue as well. My sister thankfully has a decent paying job which will cover some of the bills but I'm going to be working a lot less since we want someone to be with my mom at all times if possible. We were given a pretty poor prognosis...2 to 2.5 years but we've already got second and third opinions lined up. Luckily my sister knows a lot of doctors since she works in oncology research so we've already got my mom booked with Memorial Sloan Kettering where we hope she gets the best care possible to prolong her life and quality of it.

I know these are incredibly tough times for a lot of us but any help would be greatly appreciated. NT has always been like a family to me. You guys have got me through some of the darkest times of my life with the memes and lulz on here. Even if you guys can't donate it would mean a lot if you could just keep my mom in your thoughts and prayers. God willing she beats this again for the third time. Thank you to everyone who made it this far, I truly appreciate it.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/meena-mahbobs-stage-4-breast-cancer-support-fund

Some pics of my mom and our family

IMG_20170716_174100.jpg

20190616_211536.jpg

Screenshot_20210630-201501_Instagram.jpg

011.jpg

Last edited:
On January 1st 2022 my mom was called back home. Thank you to everyone who's kept my mom in their prayers or sent me well wishes. It'll mean more than you guys ever know. NT's been a place I could turn to whenever I needed a distraction. You guys helped me get through my dad being sick...to his passing and now this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

On January 1st 2022 my mom was called back home. Thank you to everyone who's kept my mom in their prayers or sent me well wishes. It'll mean more than you guys ever know. NT's been a place I could turn to whenever I needed a distraction. You guys helped me get through my dad being sick...to his passing and now this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Condolences to you and your family. Feel free to PM if you need to vent or anything.

RIP to your mom |l.

Your og post was so touching i couldn't finish it. Your mom is a warrior and the ultimate example of a woman.

Prayers and blessings to her and your family. Keep her legacy going, my guy.

Condolences. I just read your OG post and shed a tear. I had my own health scare with my mom in 2021.

Always here if you need a shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom