Polar Vortex Will Bring Sub Zero Temps to Over 50million Americans vol 100+ Car Pileup on i35 in Ft Worth- Be Safe Bros

making your AC have to work to come back from 85 and 82 to 78 probably uses more power than just setting it at a reasonable temp and leaving it
Moms never took my advice about this concept…Would have the crib 90 degrees just to run it for a while to get it back down to 70 then play that game all over again :lol: :smh: …The worst part is she eventually got my pops on that wave at his crib too so I couldn’t escape the heat whenever I stayed with either one

Cheaper homes usually aren’t energy efficient too. They’ll pay 2-3 times as much to do nothing. If I’m paying 300 a month it at least better be cold enough to want a jacket in the house. Nope

Electricity-hungry Bitcoin miners could shore up the state’s power grid, a top priority after a deep freeze last winter triggered blackouts that left hundreds dead.

The industry’s advocates have been making that pitch to the governor for years. The idea is that the miners’ computer arrays would demand so much electricity that someone would come along to build more power plants, something Texas badly needs. If the grid starts to go wobbly, as it did when winter storm Uri froze up power plants in February 2021, miners could quickly shut down to conserve energy for homes and businesses. At least two Bitcoin miners have already volunteered to do just that.

There’s no guarantee anyone will build more generation or switch off just because they’re asked. There’s even a chance the idea could backfire and put more strain on the grid overall.

LOL.

“There has to be a really thoughtful approach to bringing gigawatts worth of Bitcoin onto the system,” said Doug Lewin, an energy consultant in Austin. He said regulators need to require miners to shut down during a crisis, instead of making it voluntary. “We’ve got to make sure that if we’re getting close to scarcity, people aren’t mining Bitcoins anymore.”
Doesn't sound like Abbott got that particular memo:

Abbott is embracing an industry that sees itself as a libertarian form of finance free from meddling by banks and governments -- an ideal that appeals to his core GOP voters. That support, and Texas’s cheap electricity and near-zero regulation, helped spur big companies like Riot Blockchain Inc., Singapore-based Bitdeer Group and the U.K.’s Argo Blockchain Plc to build some of the world’s largest Bitcoin mines in the state.
Texas is luring miners partially because other places don’t want them. Governments from China to Kazakhstan to Iceland have outright banned or limited crypto mining because of their drain on electric grids.

LOL

For now, the idea of putting further stress on the grid is anathema to Texans who lived through last year’s storm, when frigid weather swept across the state, freezing up gas wells and forcing power plants offline. The blackouts left more than 200 people dead and paralyzed the state for almost a week. Texans blamed Abbott’s lax regulation of the electricity system, and lawmakers ordered hundreds of power plants to winterize.

“Everything that needed to be done was done to fix the power grid,” Abbott said in June. The power grid operator also is optimistic Bitcoin miners can help the grid, a spokesperson for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or Ercot, said in a statement.

But there are signs the risk of blackouts remains. Two arctic blasts in January shut down some gas production, exposing continued vulnerabilities for equipment that ensures the flow of fuel to electricity generators.

Dude has gone full throttle on supply side, voodoo economics: if you bring in enough load to bring the TX grid closer to collapse, somebody, somewhere, will be compelled to add more generation and more lines to the system.

there’s so many other ways to do crypto than ****ing btc mining. :lol:

I don’t want to hear him ***** when his power goes out.

I’d have an lp generator if I lived in that 3rd world state.

Kazakhstan is second biggest btc miner though, that’s not 🧢. When China banned it they went there and crashes their power. :lol:

Just happened to drop in this thread and see that my state is letting its citizens get pimped for Bitcoin

That 💩 last year was a F'n nightmare
Friend of mine just spent 18k having a generator installed

Yep Oklahoma getting ours Wednesday and Thursday. Hopefully they cancel my daughters tball practice because i dont want to drive all the way out there

Looking like that Texas grid gonna get tested again this week.

Just had my furnace serviced🤞we don't lose power again, and wrapped my pipes just in case while it's warm and currently about 70° outside in htown. Last year waited until the last minute to wrap them, it was already close to 32° and raining had to use rags and blankets because the foam was all sold out everywhere. Froze my butt off and was soaking wet when I finished. 🤣

All this work for a week of cold weather smh don't think I've even turned my heat on but 4 or 5 times this year even then didn't need it just was cold in bed and wanted it warm before I got in the shower 🤷‍♂️. My January power bill was like 85 bucks. 🤣🤣

:rofl: just read Monday there's now a flood warning too could be up to 3 inches... weather here is more bi-polar than I am.

Last years power outage was man made
A-holes in Austin decided that we needed rolling blackouts

Cut off the power and couldn't get it back on and blamed it on frozen wind turbines
As long as they dont touch the grid we should be good

Last years power outage was man made
A-holes in Austin decided that we needed rolling blackouts

Cut off the power and couldn't get it back on and blamed it on frozen wind turbines
As long as they dont touch the grid we should be good

Governor’s mansion and capital might be in Austin but the idiots that caused it are all from outside of Austin and many weren’t even in the area/state when everything went down.

Idiots that voted for Abbott and the GOP morons that run Texas caused all of that and haven’t done anything to fix it.

Abbot coming out and saying that he 'hopes the power doesn't shut off' is ridiculous. You had an entire year to prepare and ensure that this would never happen again for the state.
5k houstonians lost power over a little rain like 2 days ago think it's a given well be losing power this weekend....😬😔

Governor’s mansion and capital might be in Austin but the idiots that caused it are all from outside of Austin and many weren’t even in the area/state when everything went down.

Idiots that voted for Abbott and the GOP morons that run Texas caused all of that and haven’t done anything to fix it.
They dont have to live in Austin to create a plan with the people in Austin

It was all about greed. They were trying to keep from losing their kickback money

They dont have to live in Austin to create a plan with the people in Austin

It was all about greed. They were trying to keep from losing their kickback money

It was definitely all about greed, the same as the conservatives that control the state when a similar failure of the grid happened in 2011. They didn’t fix it back then either.

Just addressing you’re blaming a city that didn’t vote for any of these idiots and unfortunately has to house them during their terms in whatever role they play for the state. Similar to the idiots right now that are trying to lump Austin together with Joe Rogan even though that turd moved here within the last year.

You want change? Mobilize voters to get rid of the corrupt ignorant conservatives that have controlled the state for far too long.

i wrapped most of my pipes before the freeze last year. Had a couple I left unwrapped. Went to home depot yesterday and they jacked the price up on the Styrofoam wraps from $1 to $3. Purchased a generator from my job last year after the freeze...haven't even cranked it up yet. Might do it tonight just in case. ..y'all be safe out there...

It was definitely all about greed, the same as the conservatives that control the state when a similar failure of the grid happened in 2011. They didn’t fix it back then either.

Just addressing you’re blaming a city that didn’t vote for any of these idiots and unfortunately has to house them during their terms in whatever role they play for the state. Similar to the idiots right now that are trying to lump Austin together with Joe Rogan even though that turd moved here within the last year.

You want change? Mobilize voters to get rid of the corrupt ignorant conservatives that have controlled the state for far too long.
I wasn't blaming the city of Austin
When we say "Austin" we're talking about the Texas legislature not the city of Austin

Like when people say "those idiots in Washington" we know they're referring to the people on capitol hill not the people who live in the city

Not sure what you know about politics in Texas but mobilizing voters aint the fix to the problems
You gotta put your money where your mouth is down here and they have all the money

i wrapped most of my pipes before the freeze last year. Had a couple I left unwrapped. Went to home depot yesterday and they jacked the price up on the Styrofoam wraps from $1 to $3. Purchased a generator from my job last year after the freeze...haven't even cranked it up yet. Might do it tonight just in case. ..y'all be safe out there...
Old shop rags and blankets were my only option last year foam was all sold out and I wrapped TF put my pipes with that. Grandad is 92 and has been through hard freezes, had no heat or ac in his childhood home and the outhouse outside lol. He told me to do the rags and blankets just duct tape them really well, worked out fine for me. Also leave the faucets on a slow drip just to keep water running its less likely to freeze that way. Also fill up a bathtub with water, in case the water goes or needs to be shut off. You can use that water from the tub to flush you're toilet. Honestly don't think it's a hard freeze just gonna be cold AF. I'm going to ask my grandad what he thinks today. If not for him warning me last year I wouldn't have wrapped anything. My whole street other than my 3 townhomes had at least one burst pipe, plumber vans and sheetrock on the curbs for 2 weeks after there was so much sheetrock the trash people were having to pick up little by little.

Grab a few cases of water too and a power bank for you're phone/computer I have 4 Anker power banks and just rotated charging them in my car... I think having no water was honestly worse than the power couldn't flush toilets and didn't learn about the bathtub hack till it was too late.

Old shop rags and blankets were my only option last year foam was all sold out and I wrapped TF put my pipes with that. Grandad is 92 and has been through hard freezes, had no heat or ac in his childhood home and the outhouse outside lol. He told me to do the rags and blankets just duct tape them really well, worked out fine for me. Also leave the faucets on a slow drip just to keep water running its less likely to freeze that way. Also fill up a bathtub with water, in case the water goes or needs to be shut off. You can use that water from the tub to flush you're toilet. Honestly don't think it's a hard freeze just gonna be cold AF. I'm going to ask my grandad what he thinks today. If not for him warning me last year I wouldn't have wrapped anything. My whole street other than my 3 townhomes had at least one burst pipe, plumber vans and sheetrock on the curbs for 2 weeks after there was so much sheetrock the trash people were having to pick up little by little.

Grab a few cases of water too and a power bank for you're phone/computer I have 4 Anker power banks and just rotated charging them in my car... I think having no water was honestly worse than the power couldn't flush toilets and didn't learn about the bathtub hack till it was too late.

all great ideas...my pipes busted during the last freeze so i think i'm emotionally prepared for that haaha...didn't know what to do at the time and was freaking out.

My neighbors turned their water off and had the tubs full. Days after the freeze they turned the water on and their pipes busted. kind of damned if you do damned if you don't.

we live near a fire department and we have never lost power. That's the only reason I believe why the power has stayed on.

We might do the bathtub just in case. wouldn't hurt to have extra water.

need to charge my battery pack.
filled my car up yesterday and got propane tanks for my generator.

sucks we have to do all this stuff but this is the times we are living in I guess...stay safe

Must be really weird to get that crazy weather down there when you're not used to it.

Up here I didn't even wear a jacket today. Just started my car 5 mins early. Desensitized.

IMG-1516.jpg

Must be really weird to get that crazy weather down there when you're not used to it.

Up here I didn't even wear a jacket today. Just started my car 5 mins early. Desensitized.

IMG-1516.jpg
Yeesh. Its not even that cold, its 23 right now (high was 67 yesterdy tho) and snowing pretty furiously. Main roads arent in shambles tho domue to traffic and the trucks are out there plowing those first. I drive an suv plus have common sense so my own driving isn't a concern

20220202_154858.jpg

all great ideas...my pipes busted during the last freeze so i think i'm emotionally prepared for that haaha...didn't know what to do at the time and was freaking out.

My neighbors turned their water off and had the tubs full. Days after the freeze they turned the water on and their pipes busted. kind of damned if you do damned if you don't.

we live near a fire department and we have never lost power. That's the only reason I believe why the power has stayed on.

We might do the bathtub just in case. wouldn't hurt to have extra water.

need to charge my battery pack.
filled my car up yesterday and got propane tanks for my generator.

sucks we have to do all this stuff but this is the times we are living in I guess...stay safe
Did they leave water on a drip to keep it flowing that might have been they're mistake water is less likely to freeze if it's continuously moving even at just a drip. Also leave cabinet doors open under you're sinks, fogot to mention that.

Back
Top Bottom