Political Science majors check in. Vol. School me

I'm a polysci major graduating in a month

The PS field is really wide, there is theory, comparative politics, there's more international relations based subjects....what do you want to know?

I'm white....yeah I said it

im a poli sci major and im black so...

however if you hate people you will DESPISE being a political science major. pretty much you are signing up to spend 2+ years in rooms filled with people wholove to hear themselves talk. and no matter what you guys start talking about (the constitution, federalist papers, political theory) you will end up talkingabout bush, gun control and abortion.

the up side is that you really get to think and analyze things and get a mental work out.

Originally Posted by Air Bonilla 23

What are the job opportunities like after college?

Word.

I'm not a Pol Sci major, but I've always wondered this. How good is the job market and average starting salary for first year out of college (B.S.)?

Somebody drop some good info please. I think I'm going to declare as a Political Science major next semester. Preferably someone who majored in Poly Sciand went on to law school.

Originally Posted by JuJu

however if you hate people you will DESPISE being a political science major. pretty much you are signing up to spend 2+ years in rooms filled with people who love to hear themselves talk. and no matter what you guys start talking about (the constitution, federalist papers, political theory) you will end up talking about bush, gun control and abortion.

That sounds about right. I'm double majoring in English (Cultural Studies) in case I decide I can't stand Poli. Sci. courses later.

I'm Asian, by the way.

comparative politics and international relations are interesting
theory, not so much
sick.gif

there is public administration, public policy, and "general" as well

Originally Posted by Air Bonilla 23

What are the job opportunities like after college?
The most obvious is working for a city/state/county job, on the administration side, such as in City Hall. A political science degree could takeyou many places. I'm getting my Masters in Public Administration (MPA). If that is the type of career you want to go for, it helps a lot. However, itcan also help in the private business sector.

Originally Posted by dt24

Somebody drop some good info please. I think I'm going to declare as a Political Science major next semester. Preferably someone who majored in Poly Sci and went on to law school.

i majored in poli sci and im going to law school in august. pretty much if you want to go to law school there are two routes you can be a communications majoror something else mickey mouse and grad with a 4.0 easy or go poli sci and work a lil bit harder. i think poli sci helps you out with the law school goalsimply because when you talk politics you basically talk about law and you start from way back like plato and socrates then how they formed the beliefs of thepeople who wrote the constitution and how that govers politics in modern times. the thing is that all these "political policies" are basically lawsso the major goes hand and hand. simply put poli sci requires you to do the analytical thinking and reasearch that helps one thrive in law school IMHO.

i got my b.a. in political science. i have worked government jobs, but i am currently no longer using my degree.

and as for people that love to hear themselves talk. that is no joke. the worst are the ignorant retired middle aged ex-military bunch. note i said ignorantbecause there were plenty that weren't that had only good things to contribute, but the ignorant ones, good god. one day we had one of such people, afemale at that, getting into it with a iraqi girl in the class just weeks into the american invasion.

Im a poli sci major and i really enjoy it. To sum it up you learn how our country works! Im debating on going onto Graduate school
eyes.gif

I started as a Poli Sci major and despite moving over to Economics and History, I stuck around for a minor in the subject.

My advice is to pick your classes wisely because the level of intellectual rigor varies a great deal in this discipline. Some of the classes and talk shops forknow-it-all freshmen and then the prof gives everyone easy A's on the test. Other classes, though, they can force you to think and think deeply.

The challenging classes are the ones that are philosophical or fundamental in nature. Questions about what is power, what is security, what is government andhow did it originally formed can be very interesting things to give extensive thought.

If you study Political Science, I suggest doubling and/or minoring in other social sciences because social sciences really needs multiple views compared to thehard sciences.

i was a political science major, hated it...way too much history (especially Western European), political theory/thought, not enough of seeing things in action...

i did like the comparative politics/international affairs classes though...

i learned more from interning with Congress than anything in the classroom...

Currently a history major and don't know what I'm going to do with it, I just love history. But I've been considering political science as an alternative.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom