POLO STYLE

I am currently a writer for my high schools newspaper and I'm doing an article on Polo Style. Almost every boy in my high school is wearing polo now, whichobviously seems to be the big trend. I would just like to know if this is the case in some of you guys high schools and why you think the reason is(i.e.through music, t.v., other people).

Also what would be some more good filter questions to ask because I'm interviewing some people. Here's what I have so far:

1. Is Polo one of your favorite brands?

2. What do you like about the brand?

3. Why do you think Polo has become a big trend around the school?

4. Where do you purchase your Polo from?

5. Did you start wearing more Polo than usual this year?

6. Do you feel that songs that talk about Polo influence people to wear it and why?

7. Do you feel wearing Polo gives you a sense of status? Why/Why not?

Originally Posted by JrMOFF2

I am currently a writer for my high schools newspaper and I'm doing an article on Polo Style. Almost every boy in my high school is wearing polo now, which obviously seems to be the big trend. I would just like to know if this is the case in some of you guys high schools and why you think the reason is(i.e. through music, t.v., other people).
eyes.gif

1. Yes
2. Quality, comfortable, classic
3. Yes, because of its name and logo. But i wear because of its history behind it.
4. Amazon, RL Official, Macys
5. I still have the same polo's that are recycled each year during summer.
6. Depends, whether they're setting a good image for this company or not.
7. Yes, gives me a classy look and letting people know this guy has good taste.

JrMOFF2 wrote:
I am currently a writer for my high schools newspaper and I'm doing an article on Polo Style. Almost every boy in my high school is wearing polo now, which obviously seems to be the big trend. I would just like to know if this is the case in some of you guys high schools and why you think the reason is(i.e. through music, t.v., other people).

ohwell.gif
tired.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif

and where did he ask you to answer the questions ...
I would just like to know if this is the case in some of you guys high schools and why you think the reason is(i.e. through music, t.v., other people).

Also what would be some more good filter questions to ask because I'm interviewing some people. Here's what I have so far:

Yes it is my favorite brand.

It's classy, and they have a lot of simple, elegant designs.

Because the rappers wear it.

Polo store, polo website, TJ Maxx, Nordstrom's rack, Syms, Polo outlet.

No, I've been wearing a lot of Polo since I started dressing myself (now that I think of it even when my mom dressed me it was polo.

6. Do you feel that songs that talk about Polo influence people to wear it and why?
Yes, because everybody wants to be like the rappers.

Yes, I think Polo is a status symbol like any other expensive branded item, but I wear it because Ralph's designs are innovative, even within similarstyled brands.

polo is not big at all in my school. Im one of the very few in my school that wears it

Originally Posted by JrMOFF2

1. yes
2. the cute lil pony and the p-wing
pimp.gif

3. hasn't around here
4. polo.com, marshalls/tj maxx, macys
5. yes
6. uhh, no
7. hell yea...i wanna be like TIP
laugh.gif

I think it must be a young person thing because growing up Polo or Lo was never considered a trend cause the brand is timeless

Ok, what's up with all the rolling eyes? If you didn't have anything substantial to add to the post why come in?
eyes.gif

And yes, I do go to a predominately black school, but that has nothing to do with my artcile topic choice.
It's what's going on around the school, so I'm going to talk about it.
P.S. I live in Covington, GA, right outside ATL so Polo is big here.
Thanks to all the comments that added something I could actually use.

ahh... so you're in the South, that explains it.

in regions where people actually dress with class (
laugh.gif
jk), people have been wearing Polo for years and years. it's really not a trend.

if you want an answer... it's only a "trend" in the South because of Young Dro and all that Black boy White boy ishhh...

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

ahh... so you're in the South, that explains it.

in regions where people actually dress with class (
laugh.gif
jk), people have been wearing Polo for years and years. it's really not a trend.

if you want an answer... it's only a "trend" in the South because of Young Dro and all that Black boy White boy ishhh...
So basically you're saying the whole Polo "trend" is attributed to the popular culture of the South? And how would you know peoplein other regions have been wearing Polo for years...I might want to add that in the paper{source- DOWNTOWN43 of Niketalk lol}.

yep
The polos
lil kids have no style, so they copy
macys or rl polo store
nope
yep... check out them rap songs.
na... too many folks wear it. but it gives you the clean look that girls love.
Rock a nice fitting Lacoste polo for more status. Lacoste polos > RL polos.

all the stonefaces and eye rollers are idiots.

OP isn't saying Polo overall is a trend he's asking about Polo being a trend for high school kids. You know damn well with kids that age everything isa trend. In the late 90's you saw a lot of Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica (especially those boaters jackets) and now you see Polo, it's not unreasonablefor someone to speculate as to why that is, high school kids aren't the usual demographic for Polo brand merchandise, most kids that age can't afford$40 shirts.

As far as the race thing, its a perfectly reasonable question to ask. People of different races have different tendencies and traits. Demographic informationis absolutely critical when conducting studies like this cause you know damn well not everyone dresses the same.

OP,

In the 80s and 90s Fila became a big urban brand in the US, in the 2000s the Italian company decided it wanted to reposition itself back to its originalpreppy-tennis look and brand image so they bought out all the merchandise in discount stores like Kmart or whatever and got new designers and marketers tocapture the high end tennis-type market. Tommy Hilfiger had a large part of the high school/urban market too until he made some remark about minorities wearinghis clothing and that bad press really started a move away from his stuff in the black/hispanic community.

Polo is more consistent and because of its size/status it's not subject to those kinds of ups and downs. I would speculate a lot of the trend has to dowith people like Jay-Z who are now in videos and on MTV in 3 piece suits etc and in the South you see T.I. and Ludacris in more preppy type clothing as opposedto the old white-tee or throwback (throwbacks are also all but gone so there went that trend).

ti1.jpg

ludacrisPolo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom