Pop and Double Teaming Kobe...

Look, I know Kobe is Kobe, but for years now I've been wondering why Pop continues to double team these guys. I mean, dude has 4 rings and he sure as hellknows better than me, but its frustrating as hell to see them double Kobe who's a great passer and has teammates who are quick and great passers as well.I'm of the belief that you just let Kobe do what he wants to do. Throw Bowen, Mason, and Hill throughout the game and if he scores 50, he scores 50. But Icant stand to see open jumpers from Fisher and offensive rebounds from that bum Luke out of all people. We obviously can't guard their speed, so why are wedoubling when we are older and cant rotate as well. Cant wait till Manu comes back...

Because he's counting on the fact that role players won't be able to make too many clutch shots when it matters.. Practice now for what you'll doin the playoffs..

so you would rather have him go off for 60 on your team and win, rather than taking a chance and let the role players beat you?
if i had to pick, id rather lose to the role players..

lakers have a good squad, its basically pick your poison do you want kobe to kill you or the role players
this is coming from a spurs fan but i still think there is hope

So let me get this straight. You are asking why your team chooses to double team the best player in the NBA?? That is your question?

indifferent.gif
Were talking about Kobe Bryant, not Mark Bryant

It's pretty obvious, you don't leave the best player on the team unguarded. The role players are the ones you want shooting and taking shots becausethey are "role players" meaning they're probably not as big as a threat as the best player a la kobe. therefore, you let the role players haveless pressure because they're not going to go off like say kobe does.

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

so you would rather have him go off for 60 on your team and win, rather than taking a chance and let the role players beat you?
if i had to pick, id rather lose to the role players..
On point. If you lose to role players it just wasnt your night. But If you blatantly deny the fact that Kobe is a beast and not throw differentdefenses at him to get him out of his game you deserve to lose. But I guess thats why Pop is one of the most successful coaches the league has seen and opyou wellllllllllllllllllllll, you just watch the games on your TV

Why is everyone so quick to stoneface the OP? It's a legitimate point. Some coaches used to refuse to double MJ back in the day and let him get his 40-50,but shut down everyone else. I'm not saying either strategy is right or wrong, but it's not like it's some kind of far-fetched idea.

i also think that doubling kobe prevents him from getting to the rim as often.. which in essence should save TD a couple of fouls. my personal opinion

we are not talking about the lakers pre 2008 if you let Kobe score 50 pau is gona get minimum 20 and our role players are good for 40+ the spurs cant keep upwith production like that....

Originally Posted by JD617

Why is everyone so quick to stoneface the OP? It's a legitimate point. Some coaches used to refuse to double MJ back in the day and let him get his 40-50, but shut down everyone else. I'm not saying either strategy is right or wrong, but it's not like it's some kind of far-fetched idea.

I understand what you're saying but the way teams play defense now is much different with the allowing of zone defenses. You had to guard Jordanone-on-one and if you did decide to double him the next guy had to come from much farther away. Perfect example is Steve Kerr's winner against Utah in 97. Now players can sag off their man as long as their not in the paint. So recovery to the open man is easier now.

Originally Posted by JBnSOUL

Kobe a great passer? I don't think so...
he actually is. Don't forget the three-peat Lakers, he was the facilitator and playmaker for that team for the first three quarters and thenhe would be the focal point of the offense in the 4th.

Did you see what Kobe did to Ron Artest when they didnt send the double? Artest is a much better defender than anyone on the Spurs, not doubling Kobe would besuicide for them, Id say against a straight up one on one coverage Kobe would easily hit 65% of his shots on the spurs and get to the line around 15 times

Originally Posted by mco85

Did you see what Kobe did to Ron Artest when they didnt send the double? Artest is a much better defender than anyone on the Spurs, not doubling Kobe would be suicide for them, Id say against a straight up one on one coverage Kobe would easily hit 65% of his shots on the spurs and get to the line around 15 times

Sometimes I do wish Kobe played in the one-on-one era! He loves challenges. Not saying he would succeed or fail, just saying he would be interesting to watch.Fans love watching players going at it with intensity and desire for revenge.

Why is everyone so quick to stoneface the OP? It's a legitimate point. Some coaches used to refuse to double MJ back in the day and let him get his 40-50, but shut down everyone else. I'm not saying either strategy is right or wrong, but it's not like it's some kind of far-fetched idea.

i agree

Originally Posted by Three6mafia2007

i agree
i disagree

Actually kobe is not a great passer.

He is above avg passer.

and Pop knows that.

Just trying to correct things up.

Actually kobe is not a great passer.

He is above avg passer.

and Pop knows that.

Just trying to correct things up.

Back
Top Bottom