*[Portland Trail Blazers]* Official Thread - 2012 Season has Begun!

Paul Allens open letter to the fans,

Spoiler [+]
This was one of the most disappointing years I've had in my 24 seasons as owner of the Portland Trail Blazers. But now I have some additional perspective on which to make decisions and plan for the future. I want to take this chance to share my thoughts with Blazers' fans everywhere.

The best thing I can say about this season was at least it was short.

Think about a couple of the challenging moments from this troubled season. We opened in December with news of a career-ending injury for all-star Brandon Roy. In the final stretch, we learned that LaMarcus Aldridge, our remaining all-star, had to shut down his season early for hip surgery.

These things happen in sports. Injuries are part of the game. Sometimes you have bad luck. But as the 2011-2012 season played out, I was asking myself the same question I know a lot of you were asking: What happened to a season that had such promise? There are no easy answers for that. But I want to share with you my thoughts on the team, the season and, most important, the future.

When the season began, I had high hopes. I hoped our performance would surprise the league and that we would make a run at the playoffs.

Within 24 hours of Brandon's announcement, we got more bad news about Greg Oden's health and a medical issue that caused LaMarcus to miss the first two weeks of training camp.

While it may be hard to remember now, the team started out strong despite all of our misfortune. But the wins didn't last long, and as the season wore on and the bad losses piled up, I found myself in lengthy conversations with general manager Chad Buchanan and president Larry Miller about what we needed to do to position the team for future success.

On March 15, Larry, Chad and I agreed we needed big changes, including replacing Coach Nate McMillan with assistant coach Kaleb Canales. I'm not a big fan of changing head coaches midseason. It's something that happened only three times before in Blazer history.

I want to thank Nate again for all he did for the team and for the city of Portland, and for the class he showed in his departure. I appreciate Nate saying that we had always given him the tools he needed to do his job. That's been an important principle for me in all the years I've owned the Blazers, and I remain committed to doing the same in the future.
Now we need to get the Blazers back on the path to being a top echelon team.

So this is the start of a new chapter in Trail Blazers basketball.

That's why we made some big trades on the same day Kaleb became head coach. It was one of the busiest days we';ve ever had in terms of transitions. It had been nine years since we decided on a major overhaul, or anyone had even advocated for one. And after all the changes, it was great to see the players working so hard for Kaleb.

The trades we made gave us considerable salary cap room, which in turn will give us more flexibility to sign free agents this summer. We also own three or four picks in what is looking to be a talent-rich draft pool.

Going into next season, it's a priority for us to improve defensively, to play better and more consistently, and to win on the road.

One thing we are not going to do is to spend money like there is no tomorrow, and calls to do so just don't make sense. I've tried that path before -- it doesn't work and is not sustainable. We will follow a judicious and sustainable path going forward.

We are also working to appoint a permanent general manager. While Chad and his team have executed several important transactions over the past year, we need to fill the job permanently.

We are now talking with viable candidates and I have already done my first interview. We're moving forward thoughtfully because we must ensure we have the right fit. Ideally, we'd like to have someone in place before the draft and before we decide on a permanent coach, but finding the right executive may take time.

What is the right fit? First and foremost, the GM has to have what I refer to as the"golden gut." The job requires more than an ability to assess basketball talent. It's also about weighing the intangibles, from character to medical issues, and all the risks involved. Almost every NBA draftee, for example, has some injury history. (And those medical histories are carefully reviewed by our topnotch medical team.)

The GM has to be a good fit with the players, coaches, management, and the Portland community.  Of course, I'll also be evaluating how the GM will interact with me, as I'm an engaged and active owner and I ask a lot of questions. It's important for me to clearly understand all the facets of what we're thinking of doing, both on and off the court.

At the same time, I believe personnel decisions should come to me as recommendations from the GM and the president. Certainly there are times I've pushed hard in the draft room or free agency, as I did in recent years for LaMarcus, Wesley Matthews, Joel Freeland, Sergio Rodriquez, Armon Johnson and Patty Mills. But with very few exceptions, I expect the team's executives to make the final calls.

By talking about the future of the Blazers, I know it will raise questions about my continued ownership of the team. Let me be clear and repeat what I've said before: The team is not for sale. I'm working hard to get this team back on track. No offers have been made to buy the team and none have been solicited.

As I told reporters in the Rose Garden in December, there could come a time when I decide to sell the Trail Blazers. Many factors would go into that decision, including my health, the team's economics, and the progress I can see on the court. (On the first item: I'm feeling good these days and have remained in remission for two years.)

I'm looking forward to seeing how we improve the team in the coming months. From what I hear from Blazer fans, many of you are, too. It's very encouraging that season ticket renewals are exceeding our expectations and are just one percent behind where they were at this point last year. That's a great show of faith from you, and we really appreciate all your loyalty and support.

Thank you for that. And thanks to all of the fans who make the Rose Garden the best place in the country to watch a basketball game.

Paul
(You can follow me on Twitter: @PaulGAllen)

For the two years i was down in Portland the Blazers were good. It's crazy to see how it fell apart so fast.

Just checked on this thread for the first time since the move off Yuku. Lets try and recover some info and update this **** before the season starts.

First off, draft night was lost in the move. Damian Lillard (co-MVP of the Summer League), Meyers Leonard, and Will Barton were the picks. All have been outstanding.

Second, we have a coach. Terry Stotts. Kind of undoes the good of draft night, but hey, we're all about hope right?

Third, RAY FAT-BOY FELTON IS GONE!
Forward Jared Jeffries, center Dan Gadzuric, the draft rights to Georgios Printezis and Kostas Papanikolaou, a 2016 second round draft pick and cash considerations from the New York Knicks in exchange for Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas
Still cant believe Olshey pulled that off :lol: :pimp:

I'm excited for the new season just to see how the rookies play more than anything.

Dame dash in an addidas dunking comp. his last dunk is pretty dope. very westbrook/d.rose like

890cd10c0692ec9efc2ee0d7d41f3.gif

maaaaaaan we aint gettin jack done this year until we get a bench. I would be in panick mode if I was the GM right now because we cannot compete with the squad we have. Now I know how the Kings have felt for the last 5 seasons.

I know it's early in this game but just glancing at our bench sends me into a bout of depression.

compared to this

:smh:

I know it's early in this game but just glancing at our bench sends me into a bout of depression.
It should. Quick stat from the other night, Spurs bench: 63 points. Blazers bench: 4 points. Tonight? Our bench had 6 points.

FFFFUUUUUUU.

Last edited:
The Trail Blazers are the only team in the NBA with two Top 10 scorers on their roster (No. 9 LaMarcus Aldridge - 21.1 ppg, No. 10 Nicolas Batum - 20.8 ppg)!

Really happy that Batum is showing he's worth the money. Hopefully these guys can stay healthy through the mass amount of minutes they're puttin in

Been watching every Blazer game that has been on League Pass this season, mainly to see Damian Lillard. What a good pick, damn if Roy and Oden was healthy, this team would be so beasty

The roller coaster ride continues! Chad Ford reports that although Portland is one of three teams seeking out the No. 1 pick, they have rebuffed Cleveland's offer for Aldridge http://bit.ly/147uNwE

If the Blazers weasel their way into getting the #1 pick in this draft, I'm done with this team seriously. Why oh why would they be even remotely interested in attempting to acquire the number 1 pick? Why oh why would they want to draft a Center COMING OFF FREAKING KNEE SURGERY??!!

LaRue Martin (born March 30, 1950 in Chicago, Illinois) is a retired American professional basketball player. Martin was taken first overall by the National Basketball Association's (NBA) Portland Trail Blazers in 1972, drafted ahead of future Hall of Famers Bob McAdoo and Julius Erving.[1] Martin has been cited as the worst first overall draft pick in NBA history.[1

On June 28, 2007, Oden was selected first overall in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers, ahead of rookie of the year, 3 time NBA scoring champ and Olympic gold medalist Kevin Durant. He underwent microfracture surgery of the knee in September 2007, and missed the entire 2007–08 NBA season as a result. He recovered and made his NBA debut on opening night 2008. On March 15, 2012, he was waived from the Trail Blazers after a long history of knee injuries.[1]

Projected as a solid first rounder in the 1984 NBA Draft, Bowie was chosen by the Portland Trail Blazers as the second selection, ahead of future Hall of Famer Michael Jordan, due to Portland already having drafted Clyde Drexler just a year before. he broke his left leg in 1985, and then broke his right leg in 1986--injuries unheard of in the NBA. Due to the broken right leg, he missed all but five games in the 1986-87 season. During the 1987-88 preseason, he fractured his right tibia while walking around in a pregame shootaround and was lost for the season.[4] All told, due to his leg troubles he only played 63 games (out of a possible 328) during his last three seasons in Portland.

Darius Miles' playing career nearly came to an end when he was released by the Portland Trail Blazers in April 2008 after two years away from the court following microfracture surgery on his right knee.

Brandon Roy, On April 11, 2010, Roy injured his right knee. Magnetic resonance imaging that night confirmed a right knee bone contusion (bone bruise) and on April 12, further examination of the MRI showed a slight meniscus tear. Roy underwent surgery on April 16 and was expected to miss at least the first round of the 2010 NBA Playoffs, but returned for Game 4 after eight days of recovery time to lead the Blazers to a win.[40][41] On January 17, 2011, Roy underwent arthroscopic surgery on both of his knees. On December 10, 2011, Roy announced his retirement from basketball due to a degenerative knee condition, after only 6 years in the league.[4][5]

Bill Walton. On leaving college, Walton was drafted by the San Diego Conquistadors of the American Basketball Association[9] and also taken as the number one overall by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 1974 NBA Draft[9] and was hailed as the savior of the Portland franchise. He signed with the Trail Blazers but his first two seasons were marred by injury (at different times he broke his nose, foot, wrist and leg) and the Blazers missed the playoffs both years.The following year, the Blazers won 50 of their first 60 games before Walton suffered a broken foot in what turned out to be the first in a string of foot and ankle injuries that cut short his career.

seriously!!!!!!! must be something in the water

Excuse my bump.

But how you guys feel bout Rose Garden being changed to Moda Center? I personally don't like it, I feel rose garden fits the oregon in general

Absolutely disgusted. Talking about how much revenue it will generate a year nonsense. 4 mil a year big whoop. The lakers wipe their crusty ***** with that kinda money. That's not even enough to sign Mo Williams twice!

Meh, Rose Garden was a great name but I can understand. Like they were saying on the radio though what really needs to happen is the entire Rose Quarter to be revamped. It is by far one of the lamest areas around a sporting arena ever. They need to tear down that dump the Memorial Collesium(sp?) and put in some bars and restaurants and try to bring some life in there.

Meh, Rose Garden was a great name but I can understand. Like they were saying on the radio though what really needs to happen is the entire Rose Quarter to be revamped. It is by far one of the lamest areas around a sporting arena ever. They need to tear down that dump the Memorial Collesium(sp?) and put in some bars and restaurants and try to bring some life in there.

You're the first person I've heard say this, and I agree 100%

Back
Top Bottom