Possible free money. LEGIT. AMEX Cardholders check in.

Even in these tough economic times, AMEX finds a way to be an asset to it's customer base. Basically, American Express has been having some crazy promotions to get new card members where they are offering up to 75,000 points for signing up for the Gold Card or Premier Rewards Gold Card. That's basically $750 for signing up. In addition, the annual fee is waived for the first year. So if you cash out the points for a gift card and  cancel the card before the first year you basically get over as long as you're financially responsible. All you have to do is spend like $1000 in the first 3 months which is pretty easy.

Anyway, that's not exactly what this post is about. The thing is, current customers aren't technically eligible for these promotions, but some have been coming close and even succeeding (with persistance). I wrote an email this morning asking if I was eligible for the 75k promotion just for the hell of it. I got this response:

I do understand that you would like this bonus, however, since you upgraded to the Premier Rewards Gold Card in Aug. 2010 . The "new" Cardmember promotion offer 5894 did not start under April 2011.

Regrettably, we are unable to issue these bonus points to your account for you. I was however able to issue 3,500 points to you as a gesture of goodwill.

Thank you for your Cardmembership since 2008.

Now, some of you might laugh at how short I came to getting $750. I even laughed at myself. But then I thought, "I just made $35 for writing what was maybe a 4-sentence email before I went to work." And apparently with some persitance, you can get someone at AMEX to give you an amout much closer to the promotion amount. I'd imagine your account would have to be in good-standing and your history would have to be very good, but either way it's worth a shot. I'm not done by an means.

LINK:
http://boardingarea.com/b...-rewards-gold-card-ymmv/

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

All you have to do is spend like $1000 in the first 3 months which is pretty easy.
3 months? not an issue 
pimp.gif

Now, some of you might laugh at how short I came to getting $750. I even laughed at myself. But then I thought, "I just made $35 for writing what was maybe a 4-sentence email before I went to work." And apparently with some persitance, you can get someone at AMEX to give you an amout much closer to the promotion amount. I'd imagine your account would have to be in good-standing and your history would have to be very good, but either way it's worth a shot. I'm not done by an means.
^ and what does that mean?
Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

So wait, I have to spend a g to get the points or do I get the points right away?
the replies in the comment section say $500 in 3 months
which is less than foodshopping 
laugh.gif

worth a call, BRB

thanks op!

^you have to spend $1000 during the first 3months or less, after you do so the points will appear the next billing cycle.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

So wait, I have to spend a g to get the points or do I get the points right away?

You have to spend a G over 3 the first months. This is pretty easy if you have bills. REMEMBER, THIS PROMOTION IS FOR A CHARGE CARD, NOT A CREDIT CARD. This means that you'll have to pay off the balance in full each month. So basically if you use your Amex Gold like you would your Debit card, you should be fine, depending on your spending habits. If you spend $350/month on groceries and cable, you'll get the 75k points (which you could turn into a $750 gift card).

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

^ and what does that mean?
I'm basically saying I tried to get AMEX to give me $750 and ended up only getting $35 (so far). But at the end of the day, free money is free money.

im on the phone now

but how did you "fall short"?
edit:

they said you can't apply any offers via phone

(I have the blue, turned down plenty of gold card offers since I didnt want a charge card)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...ard-75-000-bonus-reward-points-signup-54.html

also, they seem to be having some issues as well.

thought this was a straightforward promotion, but seems to take some social engineering and persistence.

today, I'll pass

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

im on the phone now

but how did you "come short"?
If you read through the replies in the link, you'll see where other current card holders talked them into 15,000 point ($150) or even 50,000 points ($500). I've only been with them 3 years, but my history is flawless. If that fact can get them to give me more free points, I'm gonna go for it. I have to find the promo code that was used in Aug 2010 and see if it got credited to my Membership Rewards Points. If not, I can try to get them to credit it. Not sure how else to explain it.

Back
Top Bottom