post teams who should have accomplished more then what they did

Originally Posted by vtotheinay

LakersBig4.jpg

tired.gif
That team assembled for the title. Anything less was failure......

Originally Posted by Supafly122

Originally Posted by lakersmets49ers

5. Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks of this decade. How neither of those teams won a championship during the main years their window of oppurtunity was open beats the hell out of me.
CoolSpurs2%281%29.jpg
sp_warriorskr18.jpg
SPURS? what? thats just being greedy. not like they dismantled their own team or failed to produce, they played hard and sometimes you win someyou lose some.

Originally Posted by tmoney85

Originally Posted by Supafly122

5. Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks of this decade. How neither of those teams won a championship during the main years their window of oppurtunity was open beats the hell out of me.
http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/CoolSpurs2(1).jpg src="http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/CoolSpurs2(1).jpg">
http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/...5/04/sp_warriorskr18.jpg src="http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/05/04/sp_warriorskr18.jpg">
SPURS? what? thats just being greedy. not like they dismantled their own team or failed to produce, they played hard and sometimes you win some you lose some.

No.

he's referring to the reasons that the kings and mavs never won squat.

The 2004 2005 suns.

Steve Nash
Leandros Barbosa
Quentin Richardson
Joe Johnson
Shawn Marion
Amare Stoudamire
Smush Parker

With a team like that while they were healthy all year, and in their primes, i dont know how you lose.

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

The 2004 2005 suns.

Steve Nash
Leandros Barbosa
Quentin Richardson
Joe Johnson
Shawn Marion
Amare Stoudamire
Smush Parker

With a team like that while they were healthy all year, and in their primes, i dont know how you lose.
Only players worth a damn in their prime then was Nash, Q-Rich, and Marion. Amare, JJ, and Barbosa have gotten better since then.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

The 2004 2005 suns.

Steve Nash
Leandros Barbosa
Quentin Richardson
Joe Johnson
Shawn Marion
Amare Stoudamire
Smush Parker

Only players worth a damn in their prime then was Nash, Q-Rich, and Marion. Amare, JJ, and Barbosa have gotten better since then.
Nah, well sorta, only Barbosa.

Looking at the stats from where i got the roster from.

Amare was averaging 28 a game 9 rebounds and 1.6 blocks.
This was before his knee injury. Amare pre-injury> Amare post-injury

JJ was averaging 18 a game but dude was deadly fromm three shooting 48%. He shot 46% overall. He didnt have to do as much with that squad. He was still veryvery good.

Your right about Barbosa though he was still getting into the swing of things.

So i got 5 good players in their primes, IMO.

2005-2008 Detroit Pistons - A Rob Horry 3 pointer away from a repeat. Team got lazy
2002 Miami Hurricanes .... :smh
200? Portland Trailblazers.... dudes could not put the weed down long enough to seal a series.
2001-2003 Sacramento Kings. Chris Webber wears womens panties... soft $%+

maybe im reaching and being biased but the 80's lakers should have won more then 5 championships.

getting upset by 40 win houston in the 1981 playoffs

james worthy breaking his leg prior to the 83 finals phily probably wins anyways if worthy plays but its not a sweep

1984 the lakers are up 1-0 in boston with the lead in the final minute and they just need to hold on to the ball and they win oops turnover and boston sends itinto overtime and ties it up, the squandered chances in game 4 of that series as well and it came back to haunt them before eventually losing in 7

1986 losing to houston 4-1 in the wcf sad because the potential 86 finals between the 62 win lakers and 67 win celtics would have been epic.

1989 after coasting through the playoffs sweeping through the 1st 3 rounds, they lose most of their starters to injurys and are swept by detroit yet 3 of thegames were close with the lakers leading late in the 4th quarter. with a healthy magic and byron scott its not a guarentee they win that finals but it would bemuch more competetive and i don't think its a reach to say they could have won and 3 peated

1990 going 63-19 in the regular season and losing in 5 games to phoenix is just flat out unacceptable and a choke job

other mentions

1988 detroit pistons if isiah doesn't get injured in game 6 the possibly beat the lakers in 6 instead of losing in 7
1987 detroit pistons if bird doesn't get the steal in game and pass to d.j in game 5 detroit wins that series in 6 and plays the lakers in the 87 finalsinstead of boston

mid to late 80's boston celtics

the len bias death was the start of the downfall and bird started getting inujured pretty often but if they were able to stay healthy they should have wonanother ring. them holding off detroit and playing the lakers as tough as they did in 1987 was pretty impresive considering the team was worn out, old, andtired.

1995-1999 cleveland indians
two words jose mesa

2001 Seattle M's
mad.gif
who cares about 116 wins? I want it to say worldchamps.

If 9/11 would of never happen it would of been a wrap.

14az9lu.jpg

I thought it was in the bag like shockey.......

18bt3p.gif

mad.gif
and don't get me started on this game.......

dgs9jb.jpg

NEW YORK BUFFALO BILLS
THE MIDS 90'S
JimKelly3.jpg

1990, 1991, 1992, 1993
frown.gif
smh.gif
I hope T.O. takes them to thesuperbowl and win it cause seriously thats a disgraced not even win 1 superbowl out 4 tries that sucks

94-95 Bulls..Scottie P.was robbed of the MVP award and Hugh Hollins called the infamous foul on Pip saying he fouled Hubert Davis. Bulls would have beatHouston that year.

these are dynasty teams that could have been even bigger dynasties....

1. 90's Bulls: can;t really knock them but they really should have won 8 titles, and possibly more than that if the team wasn't demolished after 98

2. 00's New England Patriots: after winning the Superbowl in 04/05, they choked in the playoffs in 2005, 2006, 2007 and Brady got injured in 2008. theyreally could have been 5 or 6 time superbowl champions but have to settle for 3 (for now....)

3. 80's Edmonton Oilers: won the Stanley Cup in 84, 85, 87, 88, 90 but choked in 86 and outplayed in 89, they were so dominant they could have won 7Stanley Cups in a row.....

4. 90/00's Yankees: If Mariano Rivera didn;t blow that save in Game 7 of the 01 WS, perhaps George would not have gone crazy and started buying highpricedm underachieving FA's but instead maintained the team-over-talent philosophy that won them the 4 WS in the 90's

the following are underachievers:

1. 00's Yankees: 200+ million payroll EVERY year = 0 world series titles

2. 00's Real Madrid: the 00's yankees of soccer. at one point, they had arguably the best player from every soccer power country in the world (ronaldo,bekham, zidane, figo, etc...).... but like the 00's Yankees, more overpriced over the hill talent than team.....

3. 00's Colts: with all that talent, they only won 1 superbowl, and that was because of a 5 yard too many men on the field penalty commited by the pats inthe AFC championship, that allowed them even the chance to play in the superbowl

4. 88-91 A's: Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Dave Stewart, Ricky Henderson, Dennis Eckersley, 4 division titles = 1 WS victory

5. 90's Braves, 00's Pistons

6. 01 mariners, 97 orioles, 95 indians, 93 braves

Originally Posted by iNiNe5

these are dynasty teams that could have been even bigger dynasties....

1. 90's Bulls: can;t really knock them but they really should have won 8 titles, and possibly more than that if the team wasn't demolished after 98

2. 00's New England Patriots: after winning the Superbowl in 04/05, they choked in the playoffs in 2005, 2006, 2007 and Brady got injured in 2008. they really could have been 5 or 6 time superbowl champions but have to settle for 3 (for now....)

3. 00's Colts: with all that talent, they only won 1 superbowl, and that was because of a 5 yard too many men on the field penalty commited by the pats in the AFC championship, that allowed them even the chance to play in the superbowl

laugh.gif
You act like those teams were teams made of Supermen!

The Pats it can be argued that they should only have one chip(2004) because 2001 was sorta fluky(tuck rule) and 2003(What if he missed that field goal).

The Colts, their defense is sorry and it has been that way for most of this decade except during the 2006 title run.

In sports,stuff happens,people arent always 100 percent,some underdogs rise up etc.

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

usc football the last 4 years
smh.gif
word every year they have the potential to be national champs....but they end up losing to a team thats headed for the Pacific life holiday bowlanyways

no team disappointed me more than the '06 Uconn Huskies
smh.gif

maybe im reaching and being biased but the 80's lakers should have won more then 5 championships.

getting upset by 40 win houston in the 1981 playoffs

james worthy breaking his leg prior to the 83 finals phily probably wins anyways if worthy plays but its not a sweep

1984 the lakers are up 1-0 in boston with the lead in the final minute and they just need to hold on to the ball and they win oops turnover and boston sends it into overtime and ties it up, the squandered chances in game 4 of that series as well and it came back to haunt them before eventually losing in 7

1986 losing to houston 4-1 in the wcf sad because the potential 86 finals between the 62 win lakers and 67 win celtics would have been epic.

1989 after coasting through the playoffs sweeping through the 1st 3 rounds, they lose most of their starters to injurys and are swept by detroit yet 3 of the games were close with the lakers leading late in the 4th quarter. with a healthy magic and byron scott its not a guarentee they win that finals but it would be much more competetive and i don't think its a reach to say they could have won and 3 peated

1990 going 63-19 in the regular season and losing in 5 games to phoenix is just flat out unacceptable and a choke job

other mentions

1988 detroit pistons if isiah doesn't get injured in game 6 the possibly beat the lakers in 6 instead of losing in 7
1987 detroit pistons if bird doesn't get the steal in game and pass to d.j in game 5 detroit wins that series in 6 and plays the lakers in the 87 finals instead of boston

mid to late 80's boston celtics

the len bias death was the start of the downfall and bird started getting inujured pretty often but if they were able to stay healthy they should have won another ring. them holding off detroit and playing the lakers as tough as they did in 1987 was pretty impresive considering the team was worn out, old, and tired.
At least you mentioned both the Lakers and Celtics. Both teams had serious injury problems during the '80s (and during certain players'primes) that prevented both teams from winning more titles. As dominant as those teams were, they had some serious misfortune that allowed other teams tobubble up. If everyone had stayed healthy, that entire decade should have been Lakers-Celtics, Len Bias aside.

And I'd say the mid-'90s Sonics, but George Karl was coaching them, and he is the world's worst playoff coach. He's like the A-Rod of coaching:tongue:uts up great numbers when nothing is on the line. He went to max games or just got worked too many times in the playoffs. They barely even made the finals in'96. There was no excuse for that garbage. The Sonics were great defensively, and that wasn't Karl's work, it was Kloppenburg and Grgurich whoorchestrated their success. Sonics also got screwed out of the finals in '93 (read up on Game 7 of the WCF).

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

And I'd say the mid-'90s Sonics, but George Karl was coaching them, and he is the world's worst playoff coach. He's like the A-Rod of coaching: puts up great numbers when nothing is on the line. He went to max games or just got worked too many times in the playoffs. They barely even made the finals in '96. There was no excuse for that garbage. The Sonics were great defensively, and that wasn't Karl's work, it was Kloppenburg and Grgurich who orchestrated their success. Sonics also got screwed out of the finals in '93 (read up on Game 7 of the WCF).

yeah i do recall them choking away that 3-1 lead against utah in the wcf and sacramento stealing a game in seattle in the 1st round as well.

even though that 96 finals went 6 and seattle won games 4 and 5 i knew it was over when the bulls spanked them in seattle in game 3, because it was no wayin hell they would win 2 games in chicago in that series. 1 game maybe but 2 wasn't happening.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

And I'd say the mid-'90s Sonics, but George Karl was coaching them, and he is the world's worst playoff coach. He's like the A-Rod of coaching: puts up great numbers when nothing is on the line. He went to max games or just got worked too many times in the playoffs. They barely even made the finals in '96. There was no excuse for that garbage. The Sonics were great defensively, and that wasn't Karl's work, it was Kloppenburg and Grgurich who orchestrated their success. Sonics also got screwed out of the finals in '93 (read up on Game 7 of the WCF).

yeah i do recall them choking away that 3-1 lead against utah in the wcf and sacramento stealing a game in seattle in the 1st round as well.

even though that 96 finals went 6 and seattle won games 4 and 5 i knew it was over when the bulls spanked them in seattle in game 3, because it was no way in hell they would win 2 games in chicago in that series. 1 game maybe but 2 wasn't happening.
I will go to my grave saying the mid-'90s Sonics were all smoke and mirrors (as much as I loved watching them and they are my favorite sportsteams ever). Got screwed in '93 when they were better than Phoenix by the end of the season, lost in '94 in the infamous first round, lost in the firstround to a Lakers team that was 9 games worse in '95, barely made the finals as the WCF's best team in '96, went the distance in the first tworounds in '97 and eventually got booted, and to top it off won 61 games in '98 and went five games in the 1st round and got booted in 5 by an"equally" matched Lakers team in the conference semis (won Game 1, lost the next four). You can't blame that on players,over all those years.George Karl is a TERRIBLE playoff coach. I'm amazed the Nuggets even dominated a series.

Originally Posted by jmause3

my Cowboys for the last 3 years. SMH
Word
tired.gif

I gotta go w/ the Suns before the Matrix trade. I actually think they woulda beat San Antonion if it had not been for the flagrant foul against Nash. Just mademe hate San Antonio that much more.

i remember 1995 and 1998 real well. in 1995 the lakers went 4-1 against seattle during the regular season and seemed to match up with them well.

1998 both teams won 61 games but the sonics went 3-1 against the lakers in the regular season so they had the tiebreaker. i remember that season real well, hadshaq made his free throws at the end one of the games at the fourm the lakers would have won 62 games and would have had the 1 seed in the west that year sincethey went 3-1 against utah that year. utah killed them when they played in the wcf that year so i doubt that would have made any difference.

Back
Top Bottom