Post your Barber Clippers/Liners: Barber Tools Discussion/Questions

I have the andis masters and the purple magnetic guards. I wanted to get the andis bgrc but didn't want to spend the extra money. My masters have been holding me down perfect.

I have the andis masters and the purple magnetic guards. I wanted to get the andis bgrc but didn't want to spend the extra money. My masters have been holding me down perfect.
the bgr's while they are great... the advantage to them are the cordless capability... i mean neither really run hot, both run at i think about 14-15,000 rpms... but the bgrs well to most is the lightweightness of them and the more or less free flowing ease of movement with using them... especially what ive notice with ppl with smaller hands...

I like em but tbh that is my knock on them... i have big hands and just so use to holding something with size and weight to them so those bgrs feel like holding t outliners or a pair of styliners II...

Plus on them is since not having a cord you get that mobility and can do more at a faster rate... I wont say one cuts better then another it really all depends on the person..

Yea I may pick them up still but the only down side is you have to purchase each blade separately and at 25.00+ each it can add up so. I heard that the blades give you a crisp cut. I may also pick up the whal detailer

when i needed some new clippers i also thought of the bgr.. but all im doing is just cutting my own hair and my sons.. plus each separate blade wasnt worth it.. im not a barber, i dont think i need something that hardcore... i thought about the the andis speed master or whatever but i people said they get hot.. oster fast feeds are a pretty good clipper plus the purple magnetic guards fit on them..

Yea I may pick them up still but the only down side is you have to purchase each blade separately and at 25.00+ each it can add up so. I heard that the blades give you a crisp cut. I may also pick up the whal detailer
you could do that without them if you talking bout the lineup... you can either adjust the gap between the teeth on your t outliners... (best way to do that si when you open them take the moving blade out and line the clippers on something flat like a table and line up the moving blade with the screw holes and line the teeth as close as youd like..) tip to ensure they aren't too sharp when you set the screws back in don't do it like extra tight at first just tight enough and then take the trimmers and cut the hairs on the inside of your arm..

If its too sharp or draw blood... then just line them up and decrease the gap on the teeth.

Or you could just us either a double edge razor or a str8 razor.... if you worries about cutting to much or pushing lineup hairline back... just take some jelly/ vasiline and coat right to the edges then use shaving gel etc.... that way the gel will prevent the razor from cutting into your hairline line up and pushing it back...

Thing about the bgrs it kinda save you from doing all that... aka if you are a pro means time which means money... but if at the house it really aint worth it imho to spend extra money on something to do it a tad faster..when there are methods to get the same results with the tools you got.

Same thing I thought before I ordered my masters. I only cut my hair so it would be a waste. my masters have not got hot on me yet now my andis t outliner is another story. I dont like using them cause they get hot fast thats why im a pick up the whal detailer for doing my outline

when i needed some new clippers i also thought of the bgr.. but all im doing is just cutting my own hair and my sons.. plus each separate blade wasnt worth it.. im not a barber, i dont think i need something that hardcore... i thought about the the andis speed master or whatever but i people said they get hot.. oster fast feeds are a pretty good clipper plus the purple magnetic guards fit on them..
they run hot because ppl try to do whole haircuts with them... they aren't meant for that they are made for a quick trim a lowering etc... thus gthe name speed master... when you trying to do more detail cuts and things like bald fades etc.. they will run hot because that's not a typical quick cut seeing as you have to layer and blend... thus that's also why the motor isn't as strong... by pushing to motor and asking it to do more then it was intended to do your overworking the motor and just like a car if you overwork the motor it will get hot....

Same thing I thought before I ordered my masters. I only cut my hair so it would be a waste. my masters have not got hot on me yet now my andis t outliner is another story. I dont like using them cause they get hot fast thats why im a pick up the whal detailer for doing my outline
you can help keep those t outliners cool by applying cool care to them...that and always brush the hairs and dirt out in the teeth and between the blades and oil them before and after every time you use them...

Thing is most ppl have issues like wore down blades, overheating etc..is because of maintenance...

I heard of folks using all kinda/doing all kinda craziness from using Lysol to disinfect them.. wd40.. hell to not even cleaning and oiling them at all..

I got the cool care it helps alot I need to change the blades on them. After that I'll start using them again. I think this time I'm going to get the regular outliner blade not the t outliner blade

Any recommendations for a barber (NYC)who can do a nice dapper type cut?

I dont even know if my hair can do that look. I have typical straight Asian hair that falls down. Most I do nowadays is a sloppy fauxhawk look that works until it gets too long and looks a little goofy from a side view. Grew my hair long enough to attempt a dapper cut.

What do you mean by dapper? The side-part and slick back sort of styles? I'm Asian too and just get a slick back sort of haircut from my local barber. You can probably search for old school types of places or a place similar to the Blind Barber. Blind Barber is expensive but if I was willing to spend that kind of money i'd get a cut from the hot chick there and you get a free drink at their bar behind the shop.

What do you mean by dapper? The side-part and slick back sort of styles? I'm Asian too and just get a slick back sort of haircut from my local barber. You can probably search for old school types of places or a place similar to the Blind Barber. Blind Barber is expensive but if I was willing to spend that kind of money i'd get a cut from the hot chick there and you get a free drink at their bar behind the shop.
Yeah basicaly, short/shaved sides and a combover/slick back hair style.

I had my barber try before and he wasnt that great, basically gave me a fauxhawk which I didnt want. 

both arent 2 be honest.... envies have a weak motor running like 6-7,000 rpms.... which in professional speak would take you twice as long as that of a masters the advantage for them is good for wet/dry hair and requires little to no adjusting if you doing a balding ie like a kobe... or a even length or low all over...

but for overall the speed master are better due to you can use the purple magnetic blades... can due various cuts and the blade that comes with it is pretty decent

envy if you just basically doing even all overs, low cuts basic cuts.... or if you have str8 hair etc... and again just doing a basic cut... they don't run hot really the motor is a whisper and even tho it doesn't have much power its not really of importance since you just doing a basic cut

speedmaster tbh is like a budget masters... it is like comparing a camry to a lexus with the lexus being the masters. they are good for a variety of cuts.... just that the motor isn't as powerful the blade doesn't have quite the precision... Youll usually see them used in beauty shops when they just need to maybe layer a girls hair in the back is rocking like a bob or low style haircut... or youll see it in like those...(weaksause) chain barbershops like supercuts etc... to which most clientel really aren't getting cuts they are more or less evening out a style before shaping the cut ie.. like what i see a lot of white guys are doing the old nat turner cut..parted on the side from the front temple going str8 back with basic trim in the back... ie like conan does like well pretty much most white guys i see. To which you just lowering just a tade before doing the styling of the cut with shears..

Im not saying they are bad... but if you plan on doing a great deal of cutting on a reg basis and especially things like temper fades etc... styles like that just note they will require going over sections a few times more times but will get the job done.
Wow. Thanks man. I was set on the envys. I didn't know the speedmasters could use the magnetic guards. I'm basically only cutting my son's hair. I just fade him at the temple and the back. Knowing the speedmasters can use the magnetic guards is a major plus for me.

I have a really thick small afro.

I like my hair like this

1226529-t.i.-ti-akoo-617-409.jpg

Would these suit my needs?

Amazon product ASIN B00827ILWM
Amazon product ASIN B00292BRTU
Given the cost of a t-outliner, is it really necessary?

Which posts in this thread do I need to read or where can I learn how to cut my own hair, line myself up, and prevent mistakes?

I like my hair like this

Which posts in this thread do I need to read or where can I learn how to cut my own hair, line myself up, and prevent mistakes?
if you want a clean crisp hairline.... I mean you could use those then go back over it with a str8 razor.... if u want a clean line...Also it depends on what kinda hair u have.... those cheaper type of clippers... are pretty much good for every type of hair but blacks.. I mean they will cut and if u getting something like that ti cut... or basic all overs... touching/cleaning up a fro etc... yea... but when you start getting into like temple tapers... high and tights... fades etc... a more professional set of clippers would be ideal.

I've been cutting my hair for a minute now, I use T outliners, and style liner IIs with a pro mate blade for shape ups, and for cutting and fading I have the speed masters. The "1" clip one of the teeth broke, I'm looking for something better for tapers that can cut closer for skin fades

So I'm debating what new all around clipper to buy
Wahl senior?
Or maybe wahl 5 star magic joints,
or andis envy
Or andis masters

. I usually do like a 2 on top then give myself the t.i fade with a 1 clip and use the lever to blend them. and then I hit my neck and hooks with the 0 clip.
Have momma dukes or my girl shape my back up I got them trained.

Of the above mentioned, what will give me the best bang for my bucks, trying to spend less, and still have a more efficient clipper then the speed masters

I've been cutting my hair for a minute now, I use T outliners, and style liner IIs with a pro mate blade for shape ups, and for cutting and fading I have the speed masters. The "1" clip one of the teeth broke, I'm looking for something better for tapers that can cut closer for skin fades

So I'm debating what new all around clipper to buy
Wahl senior?
Or maybe wahl 5 star magic joints,
or andis envy
Or andis masters

. I usually do like a 2 on top then give myself the t.i fade with a 1 clip and use the lever to blend them. and then I hit my neck and hooks with the 0 clip.
Have momma dukes or my girl shape my back up I got them trained.

Of the above mentioned, what will give me the best bang for my bucks, trying to spend less, and still have a more efficient clipper then the speed masters
depends how much you want to spend.. I mean basically the more cheaper ones do just a good of job as the more expensive ones but your paying for the name

A good all around personal clipper is Andi Envys. I have those and I had the Wahl Senior and Magic 5 star.

The Andi Envy cut just as good as the Wahl senior. They both have a similar motor. The envy is cheaper, I love it. i had it about 2 years now

The Wahl 5 star is a like a balding close cut clipper. For like bald close cut fades

The Andis master is usally for professional use like barbers...

depends how much you want to spend.. I mean basically the more cheaper ones do just a good of job as the more expensive ones but your paying for the name

A good all around personal clipper is Andi Envys. I have those and I had the Wahl Senior and Magic 5 star.
The Andi Envy cut just as good as the Wahl senior. They both have a similar motor. The envy is cheaper, I love it. i had it about 2 years now
The Wahl 5 star is a like a balding close cut clipper. For like bald close cut fades
The Andis master is usally for professional use like barbers...

Good lookin, I'll give the envys a shot, I dont nessicaily need the andis masters as long as the envys or seniors hold up better then my speedmaster

Ok props too the person who told me about andis envy got them for 40$ at the local image beauty and they have a WAY more powerful motor then the andis speed/fade masters only downside is there's no "0" clip. Overall I would use these over the speed or fade masters any day

Envy is cheap and :pimp: :pimp:
I looked at the masters for 109$ and they didn't even come with guards. Glad I went with the envys, so

CURRENT line up
Envys
StylelinerII Promate blade
Oyster t finisher for beard

BACK UPS
Andis T outliner. And the andis speed/fade masters

Last edited:

I like my hair like this

if you want a clean crisp hairline.... I mean you could use those then go back over it with a str8 razor.... if u want a clean line...Also it depends on what kinda hair u have.... those cheaper type of clippers... are pretty much good for every type of hair but blacks.. I mean they will cut and if u getting something like that ti cut... or basic all overs... touching/cleaning up a fro etc... yea... but when you start getting into like temple tapers... high and tights... fades etc... a more professional set of clippers would be ideal.
This is the type of hair I have, except it's really thick.

I'm only interested in a very basic/minimalist haircut, which would be hair so short that it's centimeters from being bald.

Those are the types of haircuts I get.

Then I just need a trimmer for edgeups.

Lastly, I'd need some good videos on how to cut my own hair.

Any help is appreciated!

Ok props too the person who told me about andis envy got them for 40$ at the local image beauty and they have a WAY more powerful motor then the andis speed/fade masters only downside is there's no "0" clip. Overall I would use these over the speed or fade masters any day

Envy is cheap and
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I looked at the masters for 109$ and they didn't even come with guards. Glad I went with the envys, so

CURRENT line up
Envys
StylelinerII Promate blade
Oyster t finisher for beard

BACK UPS
Andis T outliner. And the andis speed/fade masters
I told yaw they were cheap and works the same or better. But they arent balding clippers..

Wahl here trimmers for lineups are a beast as well

Here is my review and recommendation again
Here is my advice below. I have been cutting my own hair for 20 years.
 ​
Fellas these clippers below is all you need. All those other clippers Wahl seniors and Oster feeds you do not need at all. Waste of money. They are for professional use and will not even fit in your hand right when cutting your own hair and they must be tuned up daily
 ​
The clippers I posted below are newest released and are in competetion with the seniors. The Wahl Here in competetion wth Andis T Hotliners opps, I mean T liners. Andis T outliners get so hot it burns your hand, that is why you see some people with tape around it.
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Now for anyone that need Beard/Mustache trimmers and hair lining,use these below .They come with guards. These are Wahl latest liners. They use a different motor and you will like them trust me.
 ​
 ​
My review of these trimmers/liners . The motor is quiet,they fit in your hand well and do not get hot like the Andis T liner. Also they will give you a clean cut and come with zero gap tool
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Now for hair cutting get the Andis Envy or Andis Fade Envy. The have the same motor as Wahl seniors, well both comparable. These clippers were released to compete with Wahl seniors.
I have had the seniors before and the Andis Envy is better.
 ​
The regular Andis Envy is good for all types of hair and comparable to Wahl seniors but much less and better motor
Andis Envy-> Andis Envy./Strong Motor
 ​
 ​
The Andis FADE envy is for real close cuts and fades.For balding fades like how T.I. the rapper have his hair then get these below.
 ​
Both of these clippers are smooth as butter and cheap and last long.
 ​
 ​
Tutorials
 ​
The best
 ​
Pacino offer classes tickets are $50 check it out  http://www.pacinosbarbershop.com/PACINOS_BARBERSHOP/PACINOS_THE_BARBER.html
Classes are packed!
 ​
I just found out about his classes , which I would have known when he was in ATL, I would had went
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
Anyone got any good and free tutorials, that can be easily found on youtube?

Back
Top Bottom