Post your Barber Clippers/Liners: Barber Tools Discussion/Questions

Im thinkin bout coppin some Wahl Steel/Metal clips for my clippers.

They're kind of pricey. Anybody have any experience with them? What are the pros and cons compared to the plastic ones?

For reference:

Google says otherwise.
I'm looking to do a basic haircut.

Then why you asking here

That reason is obvious.
Some of the resources you posted are not beneficial to beginners like me.
I'd much rather start from somewhere(little to no cost) rather than shelling out $100s to attempt something I have no skill in.
It's like buying an expensive guitar without knowing how to play it.

Dudes are being ***** don't let em bother you. I'm looking for similar info. Been using some andis clippers with universal tips or whatever. Did the job for a while but I can't do it anymore. Changing the way my hair grows. Looking to buy new clippers maybe stay under $300. i like the fademaster but wanted advice if anyone had a go to set

Last edited:
Wahl 5 star magic senior are my recc. Think iYen ended up buying them as well and likes them,

I actually just cut my hair yesterday with my Wahl's. it's weird because I did my best job lining up the front, but I semi-messed up the back and just decided to go with a zero blade full open to blend the sllight crookedness :lol: :smh:

Anybody ever get a really loud noise coming from their Andis fademaster? Not sure where to ask and not really trying to send it in for repairs if its an esasy fix.

Anybody ever get a really loud noise coming from their Andis fademaster? Not sure where to ask and not really trying to send it in for repairs if its an esasy fix.
adjust the tension with the tension screw.... that or your front/back blades may need to be adjusted. To adjust the tension is simple. there is a screw on the side of the clippers. use a phillips and and turn it little by little, and try the clippers as you turn them until the loud sound stops.... dont do it to much as if you do the tension will be to loose and the blades wont move and they wont cut.

Last edited:

They're kind of pricey. Anybody have any experience with them? What are the pros and cons compared to the plastic ones?

For reference:
cut is cleaner/crisper.... the metal needs to be kept clean and oiled...not soaked or nothing... if not itll kinda oxidize and wont cut as well. they are more expensive (obviously) metal cuts smoother faster in sections the the plastic... plastic will/can get the same smoothness/crisp it just take more passes.

ppl tend to use metal when they are doing even all overs cause it is faster and can get thru more heads at a faster rate, plastic is better for fading and blending because it provides a more gradual transitional cut therefore making it better blending smoothing out the difference in hair easier.

adjust the tension with the tension screw.... that or your front/back blades may need to be adjusted. To adjust the tension is simple. there is a screw on the side of the clippers. use a phillips and and turn it little by little, and try the clippers as you turn them until the loud sound stops.... dont do it to much as if you the tension will be to loose and the blades wont move and they wont cut.
I adjusted the tension and it got to a much quieter sounds but blade stopped moving and then i moved it back to high and it still seemed stuck and by blade adjustment do you mean the rattling of the blade that has to be seperated by flathead screwdriver to make the blade more tight becasue I had done that perviouse to commenting on this forum and it made the blade tight but might have thrown it of of or something because one side of the inner and outer blade seem to be sticking more to one side of the clipper than the other.

I adjusted the tension and it got to a much quieter sounds but blade stopped moving and then i moved it back to high and it still seemed stuck and by blade adjustment do you mean the rattling of the blade that has to be seperated by flathead screwdriver to make the blade more tight becasue I had done that perviouse to commenting on this forum and it made the blade tight but might have thrown it of of or something because one side of the inner and outer blade seem to be sticking more to one side of the clipper than the other.
yea thats what i meant you just adjusted the blades crooked. if the are slightly off meaning the cutting blade and comb blade... it will either 1. give an uneven crooked cut. 2. not move at all 3.. rattle and jump in and out of position. 

First remove the blades.. There is a metal piece inside that looks like a t with a gap in between the two. It sorta look like a 2 prong fork. Make sure that it is centered and that when you put on the blade that it snaps in place. If not use a needle nose plier and adjust accordingly.

Also you can use the needle noses to pull the piece closer to you so that the blades are closer thus giving a closer cut when doing blends and fades. Then when you put the blade back on put the comb blade back on but DO NOT tighten it. Just enough for slight movement of the comb blade. From there push the comb blade down as much as you can to which you can still screw the comb blade in and HOLD IT in place. To make sure it is level and even you could take the clippers face down on a table to make sure they are atleast even vertically still HOLDING IT. Once they are slowly screw each side (like a little on one side, then switch to the other side back in forth slowly) until it is tight...but not like electric drill damn near stripping the screw tight..

Take off the front plate, inside you will see a silver rectangle piece with two torx screws infornt of it. Slightly loosen each side. Use a flat head phillips and push that piece up some. From there slightly screw the torx same way as i said screw in the blades. Put the front plate back on. Then adjust the tension screw accordingly to its just right.

Also while you got it unscrewed clean out any hairs etc... with compress air and a brush.. personally i use a coloring brush. (its a brush used to apply dye/coloring/perms/relaxers to hair and are relatively cheap like a few cents).

If you adjusted and set everything right they should be smooth and a slight hum and cut crisper/closer then ever before... Also i forgot to say while your doing this clean and oil the blades as well. You literally only need like 2/3 drops of clipper oil and just spread evenly on the blades. 

Also you can adjust the lever on the side as well if it is too stiff/loose but thats a whole nother topic but it is relatively easy to do. 

For reference:
oh and btw they still arent as good as a clipper with detachable blades. like the oster 76's or the 111's. Trust me if you go to a barber most will have a set of 76's and if they dont they know what they are and have used them simply because iuno if they still do but you had to be able to use them in order to get your license.... because you cant use attachments...ala like the masters with the detachable guards. And detachable blades def do the best in terms of blending/fading etc... hands down. 

Thing is some barbers dont like to use them cause the time it takes (which isnt long cause they snap/pop in and out) when you can just use one clipper and just use the lever on the side and adjust the levels of the comb/cutting blade and still get a good cut. Usually an older guy/old school dude uses them because thats all they had... and when  you been doing using something for decades as you know most folks aint gonna switch especially if it doesnt do quite as great of a job and you gotta shell out money.

Most younger dudes dont use it cause if time and having to spend the time switching the blades out and the cost..when you can use a multipurpose ala masters/wahl seniors and still get great results. 

I just picked up the Andis gtx deep tooth trimmer blade. I was going to get the pro mate blades but no one sells them locally. I think it's the same thing except for the color. Soon as I zero gap them they going on my t outliner.

Question,

I want to know if it's time to purchase a new set of clippers. The screw won't stay in my Andis T outliner. I try to screw it in tighter, but then the blade will not achieve it's full flexibility. So I leave it half way. Is there a simple fix to this, or should I just purchas a new set of trimmers?

Question,

I want to know if it's time to purchase a new set of clippers. The screw won't stay in my Andis T outliner. I try to screw it in tighter, but then the blade will not achieve it's full flexibility. So I leave it half way. Is there a simple fix to this, or should I just purchas a new set of trimmers?
get a larger screw from parts store for a few cents or super  glue it in or sell it on ebay and use the money to put towards new clippers

I got these liners. They dont get hot, smooth and razar sharp

For reference:

View media item 974437
oh and btw they still arent as good as a clipper with detachable blades. like the oster 76's or the 111's. Trust me if you go to a barber most will have a set of 76's and if they dont they know what they are and have used them simply because iuno if they still do but you had to be able to use them in order to get your license.... because you cant use attachments...ala like the masters with the detachable guards. And detachable blades def do the best in terms of blending/fading etc... hands down. 

Thing is some barbers dont like to use them cause the time it takes (which isnt long cause they snap/pop in and out) when you can just use one clipper and just use the lever on the side and adjust the levels of the comb/cutting blade and still get a good cut. Usually an older guy/old school dude uses them because thats all they had... and when  you been doing using something for decades as you know most folks aint gonna switch especially if it doesnt do quite as great of a job and you gotta shell out money.

Most younger dudes dont use it cause if time and having to spend the time switching the blades out and the cost..when you can use a multipurpose ala masters/wahl seniors and still get great results. 
These able to work on an Andis Masters?

for those who line up their own head and beard, how often do you guys switch out your liners? I had mines t-outliner with pro-mate blade for about 5 years and i'm thinking maybe it's time

Or just buy some brand new ones. I buy some every 4-5 years.

Ive been thinkin about gettin some pro mate blades. Is it worth the money or should i stick to adjustin my blades

Or just buy some brand new ones. I buy some every 4-5 years.

Ive been thinkin about gettin some pro mate blades. Is it worth the money or should i stick to adjustin my blades
my promates are adjusted, too. i forgot how hard the regular ones hit but the promates hits pretty hard. the only reason why i switched it out was because I dropped my regular ones and it chipped a few of the blades off. the promates doesn't rust so that's a huge plus.

if the machine itself is working properly, why not just switch the blades?
i was thinking that i might not be getting the best line up because the machine might not run as efficient as it used to when it's new, especially since it's like 5 years old.

Back
Top Bottom