\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

84f16b6f74f0dd45c2b839267266d316423469c9_r.jpg

Picked this up a couple of weeks ago, can't wait to start messing with it
happy.gif

I'll post pics tonight but I got a 2009 Hyundai Genesis, 2007 Infiniti M35, 1998 Acura RL and a 1993 Honda Accord (my gas saver lol)

Originally Posted by ss3walkman

I'll post pics tonight but I got a 2009 Hyundai Genesis, 2007 Infiniti M35, 1998 Acura RL and a 1993 Honda Accord (my gas saver lol)

Here you go..

The Sith (Darth Maul themed)

Just installed the new front bumper and wheels. I have only a few more small things to do and my car will be finished.

clintondarthmaul1.jpg

Originally Posted by Air Spider 777

Originally Posted by 23nando23

Slow Down, you know you can't catch me
Heat.jpg
I'll race you.
smile.gif

it wouldnt matter... your truck was more expensive and you dumped thousands into it probably

so for less money.... hell probably beat you in the race AND style on you... simultaneously
sick.gif

that thang is perfect
sick.gif

no shots either that jeep srt8 is meannn but the Challenger epitomizes American Muscle/Swag
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

if it werent for starting a family unexpectedly..
embarassed.gif
... i think i might try out the SRT charger for awhile after the G

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

379278_996763246624_410030249_n.jpg

Riding factory for now. I gotta fix my 22s...need 2 new tires, gonna powder coat them yellow maybe, and 1 rim is slightly bent.

DAAAAM 
mad.gif

This is the exact same car I want.. one day.. one day

Originally Posted by EyeSeeSoles

What do you guys think about this car? Not familiar with mods on cars but this thing look clean(body)

http://washingtondc.craig.../nva/cto/3059917977.html

Sounds like a piece of !@!!. 
Coilovers alone means that the person wanted a lower ride, but didn't realize that properly lowering a vehicle and keeping the body aligned and in decent shape requires a LOT more than just coilovers/springs/whatever.

The fact that there's no brand names tells me that they were probably whatever the flavor of the week was at AutoZone.

No info on transmission other than that it's manual (at 90k miles).

"Exhaust system"? He doesn't know what part of the exhaust? Headers? Cat back? Coffee can muffler? Is back pressure going to be an issue?

New brakes, but no other info on them?

Sounds like someone who thinks they're ready for a race but doesn't know the first thing about cars other than that they need to be low and have tow hooks.

I'd offer $700. Remember that mods do not add value (in this case). With just the coilovers having been on the car, the body might not even be squared.

If you want a modded car, buy a stock on in good condition and go from there. The mods on that car total less than $1k brand new anyways assuming they're not the cheapest possible parts.

Sorry if that's disappointing— just don't want a fellow NT'er to get shafted.

i need some help.

so my truck has had specs of cement stuck on it for like 4-5 months.

what would be the best way to take it off if its possible?
i got a pressure washer

What do you guys think about this car? Not familiar with mods on cars but this thing look clean(body)

With modded cars, especially these cheap JDM ones, you can put money that the owner drove it hard.

Whenever I see like a Stage II Subaru WRX with everything from some cheap rims to the STI wing and a cold air intake and new downpipe, I picture in my head some teenager constantly launching the car at a red light.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Coilovers alone means that the person wanted a lower ride, but didn't realize that properly lowering a vehicle and keeping the body aligned and in decent shape requires a LOT more than just coilovers/springs/whatever.

The fact that there's no brand names tells me that they were probably whatever the flavor of the week was at AutoZone.

"Exhaust system"? He doesn't know what part of the exhaust? Headers? Cat back? Coffee can muffler? Is back pressure going to be an issue?

Sounds like someone who thinks they're ready for a race but doesn't know the first thing about cars other than that they need to be low and have tow hooks.

I'd offer $700. Remember that mods do not add value (in this case). With just the coilovers having been on the car, the body might not even be squared.

If you want a modded car, buy a stock on in good condition and go from there. The mods on that car total less than $1k brand new anyways assuming they're not the cheapest possible parts.

I think that was a bit too critical, and to an extent, inaccurate. The most important thing is that the body is clean, which I believe it is. I don't know, but OP could easily inspect in person and find out for himself. In regards to the mods, yes they do not give any extra value to the car, but they certainly wouldn't detract from it to the degree you believe they would. $700 is a sure fire offer to necessitate a slap to the face if cuzzo did that in person. And umm....what do you mean what type of manual transmission? There's only one offered to the D -series...and seeing that it is in fact a D-series, the car was probably not used for racing...so rest assured it'll have plenty of miles ahead of it. I say $3700 would be fair for this car, especially given some of the clean mods the guy did...but it is red. If you can, try to get it for 3K. It won't get much lower for EKs because they're still sought after...especially clean ones.

@SCShift: I wouldn't put money on the cheap ones being driven hard....however, I would for owners of DSMs and yes, the STis...basically anything with AWD + a snail. Anything with a K-series, especially if swapped is a good bet too....but those things are pretty bullet-proof...however the most problems can be had from force-inducted engines being pushed hard. Craigslist is really hit or miss. I peresonally think i scored a hit with my coilovers (aside from 1 corner having a bad bushing). When buying cars though, you should always get 2nd, 3rd or even 4th opinions from people who have actual mechanical knowledge. 9/10 they'll spot things the average guy will miss

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

Originally Posted by Air Spider 777

Originally Posted by 23nando23

Slow Down, you know you can't catch me
Heat.jpg
I'll race you.
smile.gif

it wouldnt matter... your truck was more expensive and you dumped thousands into it probably

so for less money.... hell probably beat you in the race AND style on you... simultaneously
sick.gif

that thang is perfect
sick.gif

no shots either that jeep srt8 is meannn but the Challenger epitomizes American Muscle/Swag
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

if it werent for starting a family unexpectedly..
embarassed.gif
... i think i might try out the SRT charger for awhile after the G
Only about 2k in mods. Exhaust, tune, CAI, tinted lights, tints. Not that much.

Plus that Challenger new is the same price mine was new.

And those wheels that he has aren't cheap nor stock. They are gorgeous though.

All I was saying, was I'll race him. lol

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

I think that was a bit too critical, and to an extent, inaccurate. The most important thing is that the body is clean, which I believe it is. I don't know, but OP could easily inspect in person and find out for himself. In regards to the mods, yes they do not give any extra value to the car, but they certainly wouldn't detract from it to the degree you believe they would. $700 is a sure fire offer to necessitate a slap to the face if cuzzo did that in person. And umm....what do you mean what type of manual transmission? There's only one offered to the D -series...and seeing that it is in fact a D-series, the car was probably not used for racing...so rest assured it'll have plenty of miles ahead of it. I say $3700 would be fair for this car, especially given some of the clean mods the guy did...but it is red. If you can, try to get it for 3K. It won't get much lower for EKs because they're still sought after...especially clean ones.

@SCShift: I wouldn't put money on the cheap ones being driven hard....however, I would for owners of DSMs and yes, the STis...basically anything with AWD + a snail. Anything with a K-series, especially if swapped is a good bet too....but those things are pretty bullet-proof...however the most problems can be had from force-inducted engines being pushed hard. Craigslist is really hit or miss. I peresonally think i scored a hit with my coilovers (aside from 1 corner having a bad bushing). When buying cars though, you should always get 2nd, 3rd or even 4th opinions from people who have actual mechanical knowledge. 9/10 they'll spot things the average guy will miss

this i understand where you were coming from but every mod put on the car is easily replaceable and you could use it to talk him down in the price. Im going to assume that is the stock motor for the car and it has low miles for the year. I would offer 2700 and prob settle at around 3000.  Tell him to keep the roof rack and his cute little jdm stickers and enjoy your new car. Great starting point gl 

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

this i understand where you were coming from but every mod put on the car is easily replaceable and you could use it to talk him down in the price. Im going to assume that is the stock motor for the car and it has low miles for the year. I would offer 2700 and prob settle at around 3000.  Tell him to keep the roof rack and his cute little jdm stickers and enjoy your new car. Great starting point gl 

Yes, you could replace the already modded parts. But the damage from an incomplete lowering job is already done. I wouldn't ACTUALLY offer $700. I meant that sarcastically— I actually wouldn't offer anything.
As far as the transmission, judging by the mods, I think it's relatively safe to assume that the car was driven hard, and at 90k miles I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the current ****** is the original one. It could be, but that's a question I would want answered.

It has WAY more than a few miles ahead of it. Asian cars from the 90s will run 200k+ miles, so it has that going for it. 

Sure, the car isn't in terrible shape and will last you for an eternity. All I'm saying is that halfway done mods will generally result in further problems. Although it's not longer a COMMON car, it's not entirely rare either. 

For me, I'd be more inclined to find a 100k mile one with zero mods. The way I see it, after 80k miles in a Japanese car it may as well be 200k miles because we all know they'll last that long.

The killer for me isn't the mods, but the lack of details or info about the mods.

I'm sure if you go for it, you will die before the car does and you will very likely love it. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I just think you could be buying into a money pit.

Either way, good luck.

I have a feeling you have no idea what your talking about. Even without the mods, the shell alone is worth 600-1000. with a motor and ****** 2-3k is more then reasonable.

and you are straight talking gibberish about coilovers not properly "keeping the body aligned" or what ever B.s. coilovers alone are worth more then 500 dollars. and is a way better idea then Springs. Coilovers on any car should keep the car "aligned"(of course with alignment after installation) LOL like keepz said its a D series motor, its not going anywhere and it can take alot of things thrown at it. Is back pressure gunna be an issue HAHAHAHAHA. even if it has new brakes (probably pads) its still a expensive he doesnt have to make.

eyeseesoles should test drive the car to see if there are any CEL, how the clutch is, and how the transmission shift. No whining, shifts are precise, and motor runs well (no leaky fluids or squeals.  get a vehicle history report to see if there were any prior accidents.

Originally Posted by mases apprentice

I have a feeling you have no idea what your talking about. Even without the mods, the shell alone is worth 600-1000. with a motor and ****** 2-3k is more then reasonable.

and you are straight talking gibberish about coilovers not properly "keeping the body aligned" or what ever B.s. coilovers alone are worth more then 500 dollars. and is a way better idea then Springs. Coilovers on any car should keep the car "aligned"(of course with alignment after installation) LOL like keepz said its a D series motor, its not going anywhere and it can take alot of things thrown at it. Is back pressure gunna be an issue HAHAHAHAHA. even if it has new brakes (probably pads) its still a expensive he doesnt have to make.

eyeseesoles should test drive the car to see if there are any CEL, how the clutch is, and how the transmission shift. No whining, shifts are precise, and motor runs well (no leaky fluids or squeals.  get a vehicle history report to see if there were any prior accidents.

Basic suspension knowledge. A car's geometry from the factory is built to be squared so that the body only moves up and down— not laterally or longitudinally. When you alter one part of that (i.e. ride height), you have to alter other things too in order to keep the geometry straight. Things like a panhard rod are generally necessary. Even if the body is only moving 1/2" from side to side, if it's been doing that for the life of the car (90k miles) you can guarantee that at the very least you probably have some bolts backing themselves out. I agree that coilovers are much better than springs, but lowering a car properly involves more than renting a spring compressor and throwing a new part in there. If that's "straight gibberish" to you, then maybe you should reconsider blindly defending some random strangers car just so you can take a crack at someone trying to warn another NTer about the possible underlying problems.
Even on a late 90s JDM motor, throwing an "exhaust system" on there can create compression problems, especially given how small the motor is. Having even mildly low compression on 1 of 4 cylinders is enough to make me turn down a $3700 car and move on to another one. This goes back to the whole thing where if you alter one thing, you need to alter the other parts so that they work together. With few exceptions, no part on a car can just be swapped out for some other random part without it affecting something else.

As far as the brakes, he didn't have to make the "expensive" [sic], but if he did and perhaps thought he "upgraded" them, but is in fact destroying the brake lines or wheels in the process, that's something I would be concerned about. Remember, we're talking about someone who added tow hooks to their car strictly for appearance. This isn't beyond the realm of possibilities.

All I'm saying EyeSeeSoles is be careful when you go look, poke around under the hood, check the dipstick, check fuses, look under wheel wells, and stick your head under the rear end with a flashlight and take a good look at everything. As to see receipts for the parts and work. If receipts are missing for parts, you have to remember that those parts could have come off another car with 90k miles before it went on his.

I think it's great that we look out for one another, but let's not misinform the guy. Where do we start....

In regard to the suspension: say OP gets to test drive it, and it feels funny, in most cases is just means that the car needs an alignment. I realize it stiffens the rides, but depending on how stiff the set-up is, I'm not sure theres a likelihood of anything coming loose or off the ride. If there was, it means there was some work done improperly to begin with. Considering the civic is only a little north of a decade old, I'm not sure it needs a panhard rod...after all, it's not like it's a stagecoach or something. The car's wishbone suspension set up is more than enough to keep it safe from lateral movements. If he wanted (like I did) he could opt for stiffer sway bars, but thats not necessary unless someone plans to really put their car through the paces with some serious lateral g's.

As far as the exhaust goes, if the piping is too large, the most he'll suffer from is a loss of HP. I'm not sure that the car will suffer actual engine damage to any extent as a result of that.

To address your point on the brakes....I'm not even gonna sugar coat it...las pelotas. Unless the man upgraded his master brake cylinder and brake fluid, aftermarket pads won't "destroy" his brake lines and such. And lets just use our common sense here, unless it's a track car, brake lines won't be seriously damaged from just driving (temps) ...that thing doesn't have any signs of ever seeing a track let alone partaking in such activities.

I get it...I get that you think people who upgrade their cars for just aesthetic purposes are stupid and probably have no idea what they're doing...and I agree (see these "stanced" out rides as of late...it's getting so out of hand kids without money are chopping their stock springs in order to pursue that look utterly expensive and useless fad). In this situation, I just have to disagree with you. I would, however, look to see if that cars been in any accidents through carfax and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom