PSA: All eight Dream Team games from 1992 are being rebroadcast and streamed.

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
DreamTeam1.jpg

If you're anything like me, the formation of the one (and only) Dream Team in 1992 ranks among your most cherished childhood memories. In an era when the sport's superstars preferred to compete against each other, rather than pursue monopolistic mergers, the thought of ten of the greatest basketball players of all time (and, for some reason, Christian Laettner) all joining forces did indeed feel like an impossible dream.

giphy.gif

In the summer of 1992, with the footage of Rodney King suffering a savage beating at the hands of police officers still freshly etched into our minds, the Dream Team symbolized the ideals of patriotic unity that were so sorely lacking in reality. To see Magic Johnson playing again, alongside his greatest rivals, despite an HIV infection that felt, at that time, like a death sentence was inspiring and surreal. It all seemed so impossible.

They defied the law of diminishing returns. The Dream Team was not "The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones." It was not the Star Wars Christmas special. It wasn't The Firm. It wasn't any recent NBA All Star game.

The Dream Team was as good as advertised.

And you couldn't see them play.

Most of the team's games were only available on the "Olympic Triplecast," NBC's ill-conceived pay-per-view cash grab.

Now, finally, on the 25th anniversary of the 1992 Summer Olympics, all eight games will be rebroadcast online:
https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/features/this-is-the-dream-team/

and on the "Olympic Channel" (also news: there's an Olympic Channel apparently.)

You can stream the games now, but if, for some reason, you would prefer to watch them on television, you can find the broadcast schedule here: http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/07/12/olympic-channel-dream-team-basketball-usa-1992-barcelona/

dream team 1.jpg

Will new NT have the sticky feature back for threads in the future?

Thread like this would be perfect for it

Marv called the Dream Team games though.
That's an in-joke I have with Nelson. Neither of us are very fond of Bob Costas' commentary, which was particularly brutal when he was paired up with Bill Walton for the Bulls' final title run. As I, like the bulk of humanity, did not to subscribe to the Olympic Triplecast, I'm not sure who, if anyone, called those games that were not broadcast on NBC. Having them play with just the game and crowd sounds adds to the archival purity of it, to me.

You don't need someone shouting at you to add drama or excitement.
They're all blowouts. There is no drama.
You certainly don't need sideline reporters breaking in to ask inane questions like "How important is it to ____?"

Will new NT have the sticky feature back for threads in the future?

Thread like this would be perfect for it
We do have sticky posts once again. I just didn't think this was something we needed to really force on people. If there's interest, the replies will keep this thread on the first page or two. If not, I can respect that people would rather talk about current sporting events than something that happened 25 years ago.

The summer I graduated high school. I can still remember the video clip of Dream Team highlights that summer with Keith Sweat's "Keep it Coming" as the background.

Magical.

I can't believe I hadn't seen this. Saw a few of the games live and have seen a few since but they were poor quality.

Just finished the Angola game - it was tight for a few minutes then all of a sudden they were up by 40 and Angola still had the same score.

And last night I watched the first Croatia game. Funny watching MJ and Pip D up Kukoc the length of the court. Just brutal - you could see the pain and disappointment in his demeanour.

Reminder: for those watching on TV, the first game, USA v. Angola, will be airing on the Olympic Channel tonight in 25 minutes, at 8:30 Eastern.

Yes! No Bob Costas. It's how basketball was meant to be experienced.

If you go back you’ll be disappointed. Can’t sleep so I thought I’d watch a game and they’ve been “upgraded” to the NBC original broadcast. The Brazil game had Marv Albert and Mike Fratello for the first half then switched to the cable broadcast feed with Chick Hearn and Steve Jones.

It makes the games a little easier to watch but I think I’m with you - the sycophantic commentary describing human beings apparently with no flaws gets a bit grating.

Back
Top Bottom