Pulpit Pimps---I've Been Saying This All Along!!!

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Pulpit Pimps?[/h1] [h2]Some mega-church pastors are living large and somebody-maybe even the government-should find out if they are ripping off their congregations.[/h2]
  • By: Andre C. Willis | Posted: May 18, 2009 at 6:25 AM

creflo.jpg

RELATED TAGS

Pulpit Pimps?

Some mega-church pastors are living large and somebody-maybe even the government-should find out if they are ripping off their congregations.

andrec.willis

Some mega-church pastors are living large and somebody-maybe even the government-should find out if they are ripping off their congregations.

05/18/2009 06:25

Sen. Chuck Grassley, the ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee tends to say what he thinks.

Recently he suggested that the AIG executives who took those hefty bonuses after their company was bailed out with taxpayer money should either "resign immediately" or "commit suicide" like their Japanese counterparts. And as controversial as that was, his earlier request that six mega-church pastors provide full financial details regarding their financial support, ownership arrangements and compensation has the potential to be even more explosive, as you'd expect when you talking God and money together.

The "Grassley Six," as they have become known, are: Kenneth Copeland, Paula and Randy White, Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar and Eddie Long. I'm not sure why T.D. Jakes and Fred Price did not make the list, but it is clear that Grassley's inquiry avoids clear racial bias as it includes four white preachers. His publicly declared aim is to look at the operations of these tax-exempt ministries to assess their adherence to IRS guidelines.

While Grassley's voting history as a conservative politician is easy for me to criticize (he certainly fails even by moderate standards on issues of reproductive choice and the environment, just to name a few), he is barking up the right tree on this issue. This cast of prosperity preachers lives quite lavishly: Their ministries each rake in between $30 million to $90 million per year in tithes and offerings, they fly on church-owned private jets, they live in homes worth millions of dollars, drive late-model Bentleys and Mercedes-Benzes, and work out of extravagant buildings that they have built-one with a $23,000 toilet!

Thus, it serves the interests of the people for the government to hold these extravagant and itinerant preachers accountable, especially since they have tax-exempt status.

Problem is, Creflo and Taffi Dollar have refused to cooperate with Sen. Grassley's investigation, and Eddie Long has provided incomplete information. Joyce Meyer has cooperated fully and Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland and the now-divorced Whites have responded adequately. Thus, it seems that the two African-American preachers have been the most defensive and least responsive to the Senate.

When I was growing up, the moral code among African Americans dictated that white people were always looking for ways to confirm their belief in black inferiority. In effect, what this meant was that black people should always be ready to be blamed, at the drop of a hat, for cheating, stealing or laziness. To arm yourself against these charges, elders said that you had to always work harder, prepare more and behave in ways that anticipated-and undermined-the pending and perpetual critique.

In other words, since the public will always expect a black minister to lack discipline, substance and honesty, the job of the black minister was to exude discipline, focus on substance over style and be profoundly accountable.

But somehow Creflo Dollar and Eddie Long feel that they do not have to adhere to that old-school black moral code. Dollar wrote a detailed letter to Sen. Grassley some five months after the investigation began and explained that he believed only the IRS could examine church documents. Furthermore, he said: "It appears to be Sen. Grassley's contention that any church with which he may disagree doctrinally can be subjected to a public investigation by the Senate, without regard to the special treatment of religious organizations under the Constitution or the rules and procedural safeguards otherwise applicable to church audits conducted by the IRS."

In effect, Dollar has played the "church card." It remains to be seen if Grassley will subpoena the documents.

Eddie Long has called the investigation "intrusive" and an "unjust attack on religious freedom." While he has provided some information to the Senate, he has not directly replied to the over 30 probing and detailed questions from Sen. Grassley. At this point, it is unclear if he will.

Might this investigation put a wrinkle in Rev. Dollar's suits and dry up Bishop Long's jheri-curl? That remains to be seen. With the silence among most black ministers aiding and abetting their prosperity ministry, they can rest assured that the African-American community is not yet up in arms about their spending habits, their ardent criticism of gays, lesbians and same-sex marriage, or their refusal to comply with government requests for information.

It is this silence that mars the face of black Protestantism and will continue to allow these prosperity pulpiteers to not only fly above the law but above service to the people.

Andre C. Willis is an assistant professor of the philosophy of religion at Yale Divinity School.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=87218960987&h=AW1Uu&u=ZKJHy&ref=nf

I've been saying this all along...me personally, I don't even see how people go to their church. People live like ROYALTY, and yet will have people in their congregation that are having hard time payings bills/rent. If you are going to be a REAL man of God, in my honest opinion, I think you should think about their wellbeing as well as your own. They love to preach "give tithes" but I mean, what are you supposed to be doing with them? What is GOD supposed to be doing with them? I'm almost CERTAIN God doesn't want the money to just stack and stack and stack, people should see fruits of their labor....IMMEDIATE fruits. Not a McDonald's or a fancy cathedral that's closed just in case you miss your rent and are put outdoors

YES, I'm mad
tired.gif

This being one reason why I dont attend any church. I can thank GOD from my bedroom , don't need some money hungry pastor selling me a prayer.

Amen!

Originally Posted by akuratl02

This being one reason why I dont attend any church. I can thank GOD from my bedroom , don't need some money hungry pastor selling me a prayer.

Amen!
QFT

7c736605481d449b4828068b37c2f43dcc85c16e.jpg

Originally Posted by akuratl02

Amen!
^^ Truth, it's a business first to them, some care some don't but just about all of them wouldn't be preaching if they may the sameamount as a teen working part time at mcdonalds

what about the pope and his gold gilded gucci slippers? organized religion is for the birds

Word.

My barber was tellin me the other day this N_ T.D. Jakes rolls around in a phantom.....A phantom?! dude couldn't chill and stick w/the benz or beamer. His money has to be llllong.

benny hinn is next... that dude scamming people all the time..

edit:
i just saw hes on the list
frown.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DallasSneakerHead08

Word.

My barber was tellin me the other day this N_ T.D. Jakes rolls around in a phantom.....A phantom?! dude couldn't chill and stick w/ the benz or beamer. His money has to be llllong.
I don't know WHY he's not being investigated....but I think it's because his money is legit (movies, books, cds, tours, investments,etc.) Dude's NEVER at his church.

My family up north goes to this church where the congregation bought the pastor a Mercedes s550 and the very next year a Bentley Continental GT.
indifferent.gif

if youre stupid enough to give your money to these scams .. then i dont really feel bad for you

whats wrong with religious people buying themselves nice things?

They do give back to the community is other ways

their market is one of the most loyal markets ever...the older black female crowd...preferably single...of course they'd bank

i despise organized religion for this....

The ONLY church I give money to is my familys church
pimp.gif

and I mean MY FAMILYS church
laugh.gif
Piney Grove Baptist where we literallytake up more than half of the congregation.

Originally Posted by MECKS

benny hinn is next... that dude scamming people all the time..

edit:
i just saw hes on the list
frown.gif
pimp.gif

Forreal man, pushin people on the head and makin em fall down actin like they healed. I cant wait till he pushes the wrong dude down and get slapped

That is why I can't get down with church.

I remember as a teen, going to church (I used to be a "C&E" Christian
eyes.gif
), and the pastor said something crazy like 10% of our income should go to the church. ****!

I don't consider myself religious, but I am spiritual and live my life the right way.

Originally Posted by I Drink Your Milkshake

Originally Posted by DallasSneakerHead08

Word.

My barber was tellin me the other day this N_ T.D. Jakes rolls around in a phantom.....A phantom?! dude couldn't chill and stick w/ the benz or beamer. His money has to be llllong.
I don't know WHY he's not being investigated....but I think it's because his money is legit (movies, books, cds, tours, investments, etc.) Dude's NEVER at his church.

what a shame, pastors should be modest.......

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Pulpit Pimps?[/h1] [h2]Some mega-church pastors are living large and somebody-maybe even the government-should find out if they are ripping off their congregations.[/h2]

creflo.jpg

RELATED TAGS

Pulpit Pimps?

andrec.willis

Sen. Chuck Grassley, the ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee tends to say what he thinks.

Recently he suggested that the AIG executives who took those hefty bonuses after their company was bailed out with taxpayer money should either "resign immediately" or "commit suicide" like their Japanese counterparts. And as controversial as that was, his earlier request that six mega-church pastors provide full financial details regarding their financial support, ownership arrangements and compensation has the potential to be even more explosive, as you'd expect when you talking God and money together.

The "Grassley Six," as they have become known, are: Kenneth Copeland, Paula and Randy White, Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar and Eddie Long. I'm not sure why T.D. Jakes and Fred Price did not make the list, but it is clear that Grassley's inquiry avoids clear racial bias as it includes four white preachers. His publicly declared aim is to look at the operations of these tax-exempt ministries to assess their adherence to IRS guidelines.

While Grassley's voting history as a conservative politician is easy for me to criticize (he certainly fails even by moderate standards on issues of reproductive choice and the environment, just to name a few), he is barking up the right tree on this issue. This cast of prosperity preachers lives quite lavishly: Their ministries each rake in between $30 million to $90 million per year in tithes and offerings, they fly on church-owned private jets, they live in homes worth millions of dollars, drive late-model Bentleys and Mercedes-Benzes, and work out of extravagant buildings that they have built-one with a $23,000 toilet!

Thus, it serves the interests of the people for the government to hold these extravagant and itinerant preachers accountable, especially since they have tax-exempt status.

Problem is, Creflo and Taffi Dollar have refused to cooperate with Sen. Grassley's investigation, and Eddie Long has provided incomplete information. Joyce Meyer has cooperated fully and Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland and the now-divorced Whites have responded adequately. Thus, it seems that the two African-American preachers have been the most defensive and least responsive to the Senate.

When I was growing up, the moral code among African Americans dictated that white people were always looking for ways to confirm their belief in black inferiority. In effect, what this meant was that black people should always be ready to be blamed, at the drop of a hat, for cheating, stealing or laziness. To arm yourself against these charges, elders said that you had to always work harder, prepare more and behave in ways that anticipated-and undermined-the pending and perpetual critique.

In other words, since the public will always expect a black minister to lack discipline, substance and honesty, the job of the black minister was to exude discipline, focus on substance over style and be profoundly accountable.

But somehow Creflo Dollar and Eddie Long feel that they do not have to adhere to that old-school black moral code. Dollar wrote a detailed letter to Sen. Grassley some five months after the investigation began and explained that he believed only the IRS could examine church documents. Furthermore, he said: "It appears to be Sen. Grassley's contention that any church with which he may disagree doctrinally can be subjected to a public investigation by the Senate, without regard to the special treatment of religious organizations under the Constitution or the rules and procedural safeguards otherwise applicable to church audits conducted by the IRS."

In effect, Dollar has played the "church card." It remains to be seen if Grassley will subpoena the documents.

Eddie Long has called the investigation "intrusive" and an "unjust attack on religious freedom." While he has provided some information to the Senate, he has not directly replied to the over 30 probing and detailed questions from Sen. Grassley. At this point, it is unclear if he will.

Might this investigation put a wrinkle in Rev. Dollar's suits and dry up Bishop Long's jheri-curl? That remains to be seen. With the silence among most black ministers aiding and abetting their prosperity ministry, they can rest assured that the African-American community is not yet up in arms about their spending habits, their ardent criticism of gays, lesbians and same-sex marriage, or their refusal to comply with government requests for information.

It is this silence that mars the face of black Protestantism and will continue to allow these prosperity pulpiteers to not only fly above the law but above service to the people.

Andre C. Willis is an assistant professor of the philosophy of religion at Yale Divinity School.
You're absolutely right and you have every reason to be upset. I'm a Christian and I will say that that's not right for them to do. However, this is why teaching-solid biblical teaching is so necessary. The bible makes clear that every single person listed in that article are preaching afalse gospel and it's obvious by how they're living their lifestyles.

I don't think it's an excuse for people to say 'oh I just don't go to church because of people like this'. You're not only beinghypocritical but you're also throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It doesn't make sense to me for someone to say I'm not doing somethingbecause these people are being hypocrites when an essense even calling someone a hypocrite is hypocritical since we've all done something at one point oranother that was contradictory to what we said. You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater because now an entire group of people are being labeled asbad and untrue.

I don't believe in Islam at all, but I certainly don't believe they're all suicide bombers either. I've met some really nice Muslims-nicerthan some people I know who claim Christianity-or no belief at all. All I'm saying is that the Bible says you'll know a tree by its fruit. We judgethese people and label them hypocrites but the reality is the biblical fruit that they're supposed to have was never there in the first place. Many ofthese people are just what the bible labels as false teachers.

This is why it's soooo important to learn things for ourselves. Praise God though that He hooked me up with some people who showed me how to ACTUALLYlearn to read the bible in the context that it was written and learn to exegete scripture the way God intended it to be used. He put me around people whodidn't want me to be content taking their word for it, but to learn to read the Bible and take God's word for it. That's the problem with a lotthat's going on today-false teaching, improper doctrine, truth is relative, etc.

Originally Posted by JayeRell

[h1][/h1]

creflo.jpg

RELATED TAGS

Pulpit Pimps?

andrec.willis

You're absolutely right and you have every reason to be upset. I'm a Christian and I will say that that's not right for them to do. However, this is why teaching-solid biblical teaching is so necessary. The bible makes clear that every single person listed in that article are preaching a false gospel and it's obvious by how they're living their lifestyles.

I don't think it's an excuse for people to say 'oh I just don't go to church because of people like this'. You're not only being hypocritical but you're also throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It doesn't make sense to me for someone to say I'm not doing something because these people are being hypocrites when an essense even calling someone a hypocrite is hypocritical since we've all done something at one point or another that was contradictory to what we said. You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater because now an entire group of people are being labeled as bad and untrue.

I don't believe in Islam at all, but I certainly don't believe they're all suicide bombers either. I've met some really nice Muslims-nicer than some people I know who claim Christianity-or no belief at all. All I'm saying is that the Bible says you'll know a tree by its fruit. We judge these people and label them hypocrites but the reality is the biblical fruit that they're supposed to have was never there in the first place. Many of these people are just what the bible labels as false teachers.

This is why it's soooo important to learn things for ourselves. Praise God though that He hooked me up with some people who showed me how to ACTUALLY learn to read the bible in the context that it was written and learn to exegete scripture the way God intended it to be used. He put me around people who didn't want me to be content taking their word for it, but to learn to read the Bible and take God's word for it. That's the problem with a lot that's going on today-false teaching, improper doctrine, truth is relative, etc.

yea, one of the subs at my school is a pastor and he is just upset. He was like they should be putting that money into the community through orphanages,schools, housing, etc. I mean, I ain't been to church in a minute and I've stopped giving tithes...not for nothing, but my life hasn'tdrastically changed now that I've stopped doing that. My work is devoted to helping people...and I can see the DIRECT fruits of my labor, asopposed to giving money to a church and ya'll put in air? Ya'll put on a new door? What about so and so's kids who need braces, or has a child thatis failing and can't afford to pay for a tutor or a tutoring service...c'mon now ya'll
eyes.gif

and I agree to the people who said some of the blame should be on the congregation--Creflo dollar! Seriously? How can you take a man serious wit' a namelike "Creflo DOLLAR" That's like on some "Ivana Humpalot" steeze and you surprised when she turn out to be a trick
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

That is why I can't get down with church.

I remember as a teen, going to church (I used to be a "C&E" Christian
eyes.gif
), and the pastor said something crazy like 10% of our income should go to the church. ****!

I don't consider myself religious, but I am spiritual and live my life the right way.
that's in the bible though fam.
laugh.gif
has nothing to dowith the pastor. has to do with how you analyze the information presented in the bible and whether or not you live by it or whatever.

and on a general basis although there are tons of practices I do not agree with and I do think organized religion has been the root of many problems in oursociety, I think its funny how people constantly look for the negative and use only negative examples to fuel their already preconceived notion on churches. not all churches are like this. there are millions of churches in this world and you let a few determine your mindset? same thing with the mindset of certainpeople who follow certain beliefs. there's billions of people in the world and one subset of these people lets you determine how you ultimately feel aboutan entire faith or belief? I'm saying its good to be open minded but from an objective point of view

indifferent.gif
at you for doubting these men and women of God.
If Jesus wanted them to be poor, he wouldn't have anointed them with his holy spirit
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by AJChick23

My family up north goes to this church where the congregation bought the pastor a Mercedes s550 and the very next year a Bentley Continental GT.
indifferent.gif
You think thats something

Joel Osteen makes mad bank. Drives mad cars and lives in a !+%%*%@ castle
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom