Purpose for shows like beyond scared straight?

That crap is so fake 
30t6p3b.gif

These kids would have to be charged and convicted of an adult crime for them to even think about actually putting them into an adult prison unguarded from the inmates. 

If even one of those kids was hurt in any way by an inmate or even a guard, the lawsuits would be endless. The kids know that so how does this work in the end?

Entertainment. (I don't watch/never heard of this show but what is most television for these days except entertainment?)

The kids are real, but the inmates and guards are defo acting. If one of those guards carried out those threats or made those threats irl (ie: I will crush you), they'd be sued up the wazoo. The inmates are told to act especially crazy when the kids enter the prison.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

That crap is so fake 
30t6p3b.gif

These kids would have to be charged and convicted of an adult crime for them to even think about actually putting them into an adult prison unguarded from the inmates. 

If even one of those kids was hurt in any way by an inmate or even a guard, the lawsuits would be endless. The kids know that so how does this work in the end?
Yeah but when you enter a prison they make you sign waivers. And also you ever met a lifer, he will kill and what can you do?? Sue the show? I would still be scared.

The show is entertaining and some parts may be staged, but if the visit turns just one kid's life around, then it did it's job.

there is no purpose. its been shown MANY times that scare tactics like this dont work on juveniles. i work juvi probation and you know what really works??

putting them into a cell w/ nothing but a toilet with the threat of going to DYS until they are 21 is what works.

kids are scared AF of the judge. idc who they are. that judge has absolute power over a large chunk of ur life. if you dont impress im, 1/3 of your life can be gone in the blink of an eye.

You do know that kids eventually grow up and become legal adults who can go to prison right? Depending on the age, being on a show
like that could truly impact a kid.

Just seen a couple episodes on Netflix..pretty funny. Them boys at the Maryland prison...hahah mayn they scared the *%% out some little boy.
laugh.gif

Those types of shows are "for" the kids, thats the market its geared towards. Let ya bad #$@ cherrin watch it and threatin they butts...
roll.gif

Not scary at all...as a kid these type of shows made me wanna participate in that program just to boss up on an inmate.

Mehhh, some is real & other parts are staged.
"Reality" T.V. isn't all that real! 
grin.gif

they took my lil sister to the twin towers to scare her...i thought it was pointless. she not even a bad kid. just dont apply herself in school. i dont know how things really worked out logistics wise...but my cousin used to be a co and i think is now a po (for fun) so she has mad pull.

It's there to give them a glimpse at their future
if they continue on the path they're on.  Most kids that age can't see past that
youthful illusion of invincibility, so they feel like they won't wind of that way

scared straight is an actual program(not just a tv show) thats been around for atleast 10 years because i know someone who was sent there by the courts when we were 15

3:45 mark
roll.gif
*$%@% HOLD MY POCKET!

None of yal ever saw the OG ones? Those where real, this %**! is not

Originally Posted by sherwin100s

Not scary at all...as a kid these type of shows made me wanna participate in that program just to boss up on an inmate.
Yeah right....
laugh.gif

There's nothing better than watching some little punk kid who thinks he is a tough guy, cry like a little baby when he has someone "realer" than him in his face.

No matter how tough you may THINK you are, there is ALWAYS someone out there that will beat you down like it's nothing.

Sometimes these kids need to realize that if they keep messing up, they will end up in jail or dead.  It's better they learn it sooner than later.

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Yeah right....
laugh.gif

There's nothing better than watching some little punk kid who thinks he is a tough guy, cry like a little baby when he has someone "realer" than him in his face.

No matter how tough you may THINK you are, there is ALWAYS someone out there that will beat you down like it's nothing.

The inmates NOR the guards can touch them 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Yeah right....
laugh.gif

The inmates NOR the guards can touch them 
grin.gif

You say this like some of them inmates in there actually care about those kids OR the consequences they would receive if they touched one. Some of them dudes have life and alot of them just don't care no more, you can tell them what not to do all you want, this isn't just a group of grown men being told what not to do when the cameras are on, some of those guys in there are straight murderers.I think it's staged on the fact that they dont take the kids in the parts of the prison where things are real, they take them through the regular parts of the prison with the inmates that are willing to cooperate. I know they havent walked any group of them boys through a cell block full of lifers

Back
Top Bottom