Quality Black Films Thread Vol. Tired Of Tyler Perry

Hiiiiiighly recommend this. It's a great biopic that outlines the roots of Blaxploitation films and how it paved the way for everyone else. Lots of good historical tidbits that you might not have known.

This looks really interesting. Thanks for this post....definitely gonna check it out. Sadly its not on Netflix.

Speaking of Blaxlotation films. If you ever are looking for a good movie that is funny but also well done when it comes to talking about the struggles black actors faced back in the day and still face today when it comes to being casted for certain roles; definitely check out Hollywood Shuffle with Robert Townsend (this also isn't streaming on Netflix).

I got you b https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7795916/Baadasssss.avi

I'll probably leave it up in my dropbox for a week or whenever I remember to delete it

I'll definitely check that film out too. Looks like a good one.

Last edited:
No problem, man.

I believe it released in 2003. You'll probably recognize a lot of the actors. It's definitely one of those obscure gems that I'm glad I stumbled upon because it got me into the Blaxploitation genre.

Enjoy
smokin.gif

^Beloved is a great film and book!

MetiQlous, obscure gems are always appreciated. I am stunned I honestly have never heard of the flick at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, it never really had commercial success because it only opened in select theaters and whatnot so it's definitely underrated.

There's a lot of truth in this movie because it's based on the directors (Mario Van Peebles) father (Melvin Van Peebles) who he actually plays in the movie (confusing, I know..)

The DVD commentary was also interesting to listen to because both of them were commentating so it was a joy to get that extra incite to not only the movie, but their lives as well. I rarely ever watch movies again with the commentary but I loved this one so much that I just had to grab a copy on the cheap to hear it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it never really had commercial success because it only opened in select theaters and whatnot so it's definitely underrated.

There's a lot of truth in this movie because it's based on the directors (Mario Van Peebles) father (Melvin Van Peebles) who he actually plays in the movie (confusing, I know..)

The DVD commentary was also interesting to listen to because both of them were commentating so it was a joy to get that extra incite to not only the movie, but their lives as well. I rarely ever watch movies again with the commentary but I loved this one so much that I just had to grab a copy on the cheap to hear it.

Dope info!! I have a strong feeling I am going to like this. I will probably watch over the next two days so I will definitely share my thoughts.

Look forward to seeing your reaction to it. I can honestly go on and on about this movie, but I don't want to bore you lol

Hopefully I didn't hype it up too much that it doesn't meet your expectations.. but I just finished re-watching it tonight and it's still
pimp.gif

Last edited:
^ I watched Fresh for the first time today, off my brother's recommendation, and really enjoyed it. I later told him I thought it was better than New Jack City. In terms of 90s crime films, I'm surprised it isn't more popular.

^Thanks man!

Props to the posting of Fresh! Surprisingly it was was one of the classic black films of the 90's I had never watched until a few months ago! Great movie!

Back
Top Bottom