Quality Black Films Thread Vol. Tired Of Tyler Perry

Often here on NT I have seen discussions regarding black films (movies directed or written by an African-American with a primarily African-American cast) and the lack of quality black movies. There are many African-Americans who are tired of the negative and regurgitated stereotypes constantly displayed in Tyler Perry movies and I realized in these discussions on here that many people are not aware that there are quality black films out there.

I searched to see if there was a "Black Film" thread and found nothing so I decided to start one where those seeking quality black films can share and discuss past and upcoming films.

Over the past few years I have watched some really great black films most of them being indie-release that have received high critical acclaim. Here are a few:

Mooz-lum

Night Catches Us

I Will Follow

Medicine For Melancholy

Red Hook Summer

LUV

Pariah

Here are a also a few that have come out this year (all recently) that are on my radar to see:

Fruitvale Station

Big Words

Middle of Nowhere (by the Director of "I Will Follow")

Enjoy and share your thoughts or any other good films you know! For good info on films such as these be sure to check out http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/

Last edited:
Luv was great, still have to see Red Hook Summer, will have to see the rest of them too. I'm all for a good black film

Red hook was coo.. Havnt checked night catches us. Are these all on Netflix?
Good thread op

Fruitvale station was very good, had me teary eyed .

Having a black cast doesn't mean it's a black movie. Haven't seen it yet but it seems to be a cross over movie like hotel rewanda. In too deep and paid in full are also crossover movies.

Can we get a good black murder mystery, thriller, action hero movie? Seems like all our movies are stereo type dramas and street level crooks.

Where can I watch these movies OP? Netflix?

Last edited:
Pariah was dope....Redhook Summer was ok...

The mack and shottas are goat.

Don't know if you'd call it a black film but City of God features many black main characters.

Last edited:
Hiiiiiighly recommend this. It's a great biopic that outlines the roots of Blaxploitation films and how it paved the way for everyone else. Lots of good historical tidbits that you might not have known.

Having a black cast doesn't mean it's a black movie. Haven't seen it yet but it seems to be a cross over movie like hotel rewanda. In too deep and paid in full are also crossover movies.

Can we get a good black murder mystery, thriller, action hero movie? Seems like all our movies are stereo type dramas and street level crooks.

Where can I watch these movies OP? Netflix?

All of the first set of movies I posted are on Netflix except for Pariah and Mooz-lum.

Hiiiiiighly recommend this. It's a great biopic that outlines the roots of Blaxploitation films and how it paved the way for everyone else. Lots of good historical tidbits that you might not have known.

View media item 507710

This looks really interesting. Thanks for this post....definitely gonna check it out. Sadly its not on Netflix.

Speaking of Blaxlotation films. If you ever are looking for a good movie that is funny but also well done when it comes to talking about the struggles black actors faced back in the day and still face today when it comes to being casted for certain roles; definitely check out Hollywood Shuffle with Robert Townsend (this also isn't streaming on Netflix).

View media item 507756

Last edited:
I watched Night Catches Us and Medicine for Melancholy recently. I really enjoyed Night Catches Us.

I think my expectations were probably too high, in combination with expecting something else out of Medicine for Melancholy. I thought it was good, but questioned what the rave was about from those who had seen it. Comparisons to a particular film released around the same time didn't help. Dude in the movie was disturbingly awkward at times. :lol:

A film that I enjoyed very much was Spike Lee's Crooklyn. I haven't seen most of his films, but enjoyed the ones I have seen. I had only heard of Crooklyn this year for the first time, oddly.

Speaking of Spike, he's recently launched a kickstarter campaign to support the development of his next film.

I watched Night Catches Us and Medicine for Melancholy recently. I really enjoyed Night Catches Us.

I think my expectations were probably too high, in combination with expecting something else out of Medicine for Melancholy. I thought it was good, but questioned what the rave was about from those who had seen it. Comparisons to a particular film released around the same time didn't help. Dude in the movie was disturbingly awkward at times. :lol:

A film that I enjoyed very much was Spike Lee's Crooklyn. I haven't seen most of his films, but enjoyed the ones I have seen. I had only heard of Crooklyn this year for the first time, oddly.

Speaking of Spike, he's recently launched a kickstarter campaign to support the development of his next film.

Thanks for posting this info about the new Spike joint.

I had walked past Spike's office about a month ago and I noticed that "OldBoy" was up as his next film but I didn't find much information on the project. Glad to see he is doing a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for the film. I will definitely be supporting this. I am glad to see as of this post he has raised nearly 100K in 48 hours.

View media item 507710

This looks really interesting. Thanks for this post....definitely gonna check it out. Sadly its not on Netflix.

Speaking of Blaxlotation films. If you ever are looking for a good movie that is funny but also well done when it comes to talking about the struggles black actors faced back in the day and still face today when it comes to being casted for certain roles; definitely check out Hollywood Shuffle with Robert Townsend (this also isn't streaming on Netflix).

View media item 507756

Great movie, Townsend had me crackin up when he was on set of his movie roll.

Minus the negative views Blaxplotation films get, I enjoyed some of em. Pam Grier was a stone cold fox back in the day :evil:

Back
Top Bottom