Quality Denim Alterations (Hems) in SF??

Hey all,

I've long been over the "premium" denim thing, but still have numerous pairs of Sevens, Paper D's, and others that've been chilling in my closets since forever waiting to be hemmed.

Any of y'all know of a spot in SF that does good alterations on denim? I just need the bottoms hemmed.....would like to have the original hems re-attached if possible to keep the $uper cool detailing. :rolleyes
eyes.gif
:lol:
laugh.gif
=1&stop=25]*~*~NT NorCal Summit BBQ--Sat, 8/11 CLICK HERE 4 Details+2 RSVP~*~*[/url][/b][/center]

thx for tip, guys. i do remember someone else rec'ing self edge before.....totally forgot about that place. i guess i'll swing by later this week.

in the meantime, any other denim alteration spots? always good to have choices+back-ups.
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

thx for the chainstitch link, kiyab, but how bout a shot of the chainstitch hem itself not just the vintage sewing machine.

also, any chance of getting a qty discount? i have like 8-10 pairs of jeans that need to be done. i'll probably bring in 2 or 3 to see how things go first tho.

all i know is it'll be hard not to do better than the crappy hems i got from the Barney's store in Bev Hills a while back. they jacked the hell up outa 4 jeans i bought there. my g-mama could've done better hems than the ones they did.....like 3/4" thick and all crooked too. :frown:
frown.gif
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN
Lately we've been getting the Derrick Coleman of basketball shoes: bloated, overhyped, overpaid, & underwhelming." --Truth spoken by NT's own "Iron Lung"

yo.. what does hemming do? i've heard people say that before about their pants but what exactly will it do to your pants?
sarcasm is hard to tell online

lookin for AM90 infareds 10-11

selfedge for hemming!

To get a chainstitch hem done it will take between 1 to 4 days depending on what day of the week you drop them off.
There aren't any volume discounts because we're already doing around 120 pairs a week, so unless you have 50+ jeans to do at once, there's no way we can give any discounts because we still have to pay the same in labor costs to hem the jeans.
It's labor intensive and not many people can use a Union Special Chainstitching machine, which makes the process far more difficult than a normal top stitch hem.
Turf Shoes Bay Area
Self Edge San Francisco

gotcha on the no volume discount.....labor+overhead are expensive, esp in SF.

but can you still post a pic of one of the actual chainstitch hems you guys have done? i'm sure it's quality work, given all the recs+buzz, but i still am curious to see what i am getting before i get it.

btw, are all hems done in goldenrod/yellow only? a few of my jeans have indigo and white stitching.
"The expectation we have for Air Jordans is for the MICHAEL JORDAN of basketball shoes.

The chainstitch hem we do looks exactly like the stitch on all Flat Head, Sugarcane, Iron Heart, etc..
We use goldenrod for all light original stitches and black for all original black stitches.
I don't have a photo, but trust me when i say it'll exceed your expectations.
We've done hundreds and zero have come back.
Also, we've rehemmed jeans worth thousands for well known collectors, so your jeans are safe with us.
Turf Shoes Bay Area
Self Edge San Francisco

thx for the prompt response+additional 411, kiyab.
i don't have any super duper premium or collector-quality denim, but i do appreciate quality work, craftsmanship, and, esp, customer service for every $ i drop.
sounds like self edge is fine establishment.
i'll stop by next week.

We charge $15 for a chainstitch hem.
We're one of the only three places in the country that has the ability to do a chainstitch.
Turf Shoes Bay Area
Self Edge San Francisco

Kiya doesnt mess around! Seriously, dont doubt...youll be more than happy with the quality and service
Life is hard, but so am I​

Back
Top Bottom