Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

I don't buy it.

What about Will the family man when he's dropping N bombs and shooting up Haitians in Bad Boys II?

It has nothing to do with being a black actor or his kids... it's about Will not wanting to risk his image as the lovable Will Smith. Denzel played the villain and he won an Oscar, Forest Whitaker played dictator Idi Amin and he won the Oscar. Established and well-respected actors, even black actors, can take a chance on being the bad guy or be in a gritty role. WILL SMITH of all people should be able to take a chance but he's too afraid of ruining his carefully cultivated image and risk losing out on his guaranteed box office draw. And I don't think his children would be affected at all... pre-teens and teenagers who listen to Willow Smith probably won't even know about this movie in the first place. 

Here Simmons breaks down Will Smith the movie star and this was my favorite excerpt..

True story: When Smith was trapped on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air set in the early-'90s, dreaming of starring in movies instead of selling Alfonso Ribiero's jokes, Smith and his manager, James Lassiter, studied a list of the top-10 grossing films ever. Here's what Smith told Time Magazine in 2007: "We looked at (the list) and said, O.K., what are the patterns? We realized that 10 out of 10 had special effects. Nine out of 10 had special effects with creatures. Eight out of 10 had special effects with creatures and a love story."

He wanted to be the biggest movie star in the world and make tons of money. I'm not mad at him or criticizing him as a person at all.. he's entertaining, funny, and he's earned his money so kudos... but as an actor? in comparison and critical view of other actors, he's woefully disappointing.

^I don't remember Will Smith dropping N bombs in Bad Boys II but then again I never really watched that one all the way through...You sure that wasn't Martin? BTW, love your gif Big J 33. The Bulls/Knicks playoff games are some of the all time best basketball I've ever seen...Miss those days...

Originally Posted by psk2310

^I don't remember Will Smith dropping N bombs in Bad Boys II but then again I never really watched that one all the way through...You sure that wasn't Martin?

yea he did. Will just didn't want to take the risk of not living up to the role or people taking him too seriously for his next roles.
eyes.gif

...it's not gonna be feel-good...ain't no Shrek or Bob Marley in this one. Why mess with a $ure thing?

Exactly, that family man crap is nonsense.  It's acting, he wouldn't actually be killing anybody or owning slaves or some @#$% 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  It's his job, and he was offered a PRIME role.  Something that could have truly stretched out his career, maybe even opened other doors he never thought possible.  But naw, just stick to the Men In Black III formula "acting" in front of green screens and rehashing jokes from previous movies.  Do your think Will. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Exactly, that family man crap is nonsense.  It's acting, he wouldn't actually be killing anybody or owning slaves or some @#$% 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  It's his job, and he was offered a PRIME role.  Something that could have truly stretched out his career, maybe even opened other doors he never thought possible.  But naw, just stick to the Men In Black III formula "acting" in front of green screens and rehashing jokes from previous movies.  Do your think Will. 
eyes.gif

word...this is why i could never respect dude as an actor...and he's never gonna get that Oscar he so desperately wants...

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

yeah Tarantino is that dude. They are suppose to be shooting it here in Atlanta. 

how is it a spaghetti Western then? Tarantino isn't even Italian

"Tarantino's father is of Italian descent and his mother is of Irish and Cherokee ancestry."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Tarantino

Anyways, can't wait for this movie. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction will live forever. I like Reservoir Dogs the most.

^ Without Google searching it, the term Spaghetti Western was created in the mid 60's starting with westerns directed by Sergio Leone starring Clint Eastwood that were shot in Italy (I think Spain too). They were Fist Full of Dollars, For A Few Dollars more, & The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. They were also noted for the musical score. Fist Full of Dollars was a remake Kuroasawa's Yojimbo. I guess Tarantino's film isn't technically a Spaghetti Western as it sounds like it will be filmed in the ATL... 

SlashFilm.com reports that Kurt Russell could be taking over the part originally intended for Kevin Costner. Here is the link. I actually think that would be better than Costner...  

Originally Posted by psk2310

^ Without Google searching it, the term Spaghetti Western was created in the mid 60's starting with westerns directed by Sergio Leone starring Clint Eastwood that were shot in Italy (I think Spain too). They were Fist Full of Dollars, For A Few Dollars more, & The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. They were also noted for the musical score. Fist Full of Dollars was a remake Kuroasawa's Yojimbo. I guess Tarantino's film isn't technically a Spaghetti Western as it sounds like it will be filmed in the ATL... 

Spaghetti Westerns weren't just noted because of their orgins or locations, it was more so the style...they were made of of Europe and European movies are usually more arty then the mainstream Hollywood flicks...QT's obviously going for the stylized version

Looks like Kurt Russell is definitely in to play the part that was intended for Costner. I think this is a good change. SlashFilm.com updated the following. The story can be found via this link.

Briefly: It’s a shame that Kevin Costner won’t be in Quentin Tarantino‘s Django Unchained because of his commitment to The Hatfields and the McCoys, but Tarantino has lined up another well-known guy to take a role. Don Johnson will be in the movie, though he won’t play the slave trainer role for which Costner was lined up. Instead, he’ll play a totally different, but still nasty character.

Johnson will appear in the movie as Spencer Bennett, a plantation owner who runs a string of ‘ponies’ — that is, pretty, young female slaves. It’s not a big role, but Johnson will get to factor in to one of the film’s early sequences as Django (Jamie Foxx) and dentist turned bounty hunter King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) begin their association. Bennett is a pretty unsavory part, as are a great many roles in the movie, and Johnson is a good pick for it.

We’re still waiting to hear who’s been chosen to play Django’s wife Broomhilda; that’s one of the remaining important roles left to announce. Django Unchained should start shooting any minute now, with Samuel L Jackson, Dennis Christopher, Kurt Russell, Gerald McRaney, and M.C. Gainey in other roles. Django Unchained will release on Christmas Day, 2012.

Originally Posted by Cuffy

I cant wait for this
Yea, I can't wait either. Hope he get's Robert Rodriguez & Rza to do the soundtrack for this... I can see the Damon Albran & Danger Mouse doing it too.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I don't buy it.

What about Will the family man when he's dropping N bombs and shooting up Haitians in Bad Boys II?

It has nothing to do with being a black actor or his kids... it's about Will not wanting to risk his image as the lovable Will Smith. Denzel played the villain and he won an Oscar, Forest Whitaker played dictator Idi Amin and he won the Oscar. Established and well-respected actors, even black actors, can take a chance on being the bad guy or be in a gritty role. WILL SMITH of all people should be able to take a chance but he's too afraid of ruining his carefully cultivated image and risk losing out on his guaranteed box office draw. And I don't think his children would be affected at all... pre-teens and teenagers who listen to Willow Smith probably won't even know about this movie in the first place.

HereSimmons breaks down Will Smith the movie star and this was my favorite excerpt..

True story: When Smith was trapped on theFresh Prince of Bel-Airset in the early-'90s, dreaming of starring in movies instead of selling Alfonso Ribiero's jokes, Smith and his manager, James Lassiter, studied a list of the top-10 grossing films ever. Here's whatSmith toldTime Magazinein 2007: "We looked at (the list) and said, O.K., what are the patterns? We realized that 10 out of 10 had special effects. Nine out of 10 had special effects with creatures. Eight out of 10 had special effects with creatures and a love story."
He wanted to be the biggest movie star in the world and make tons of money. I'm not mad at him or criticizing him as a person at all.. he's entertaining, funny, and he's earned his money so kudos... but as an actor? in comparison and critical view of other actors, he's woefully disappointing.

THIS!! And Denzel's role in Training Day didn't affect his image at all to the general public. People still love Denzel just like they do Will. I still can't believe Will turned down The Matrix to do Wild Wild West
30t6p3b.gif
. Anyway I'm excited for this movie.
On another note this movie needs to happen
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

SlashFilm.com just updated the following which can also be found here.

Quentin Tarantino has tapped Tom Savini for a role in Django Unchained. Savini will play Elvis Brittle, one of three outlaw brothers (along with M.C. Gainey) who rape Django’s wife Broomhilda and brand Django’s cheek with the letter ‘R’ (for "runaway"). The "Southern-fried spaghetti Western" centers around Django’s (Jamie Foxx) subsequent team-up with German bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) and his effort to free his wife Broomhilda from evil plantation owner Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). Samuel L. Jackson, Gerald McRaney, Dennis Christopher, Laura Cayouette, Kurt Russell, and Don Johnson are also set to star. The part of Broomhilda remains one of the few key parts left to be cast.

Savini is best known for his work within the horror genre, particularly his special effects for George A. Romero’s Living Dead film series. He’s also acted in a number of films, including Robert Rodriguez’s Planet Terror, Machete, and From Dusk Till Dawn. Django Unchained may not be a horror film per se, but it sounds to be right up his alley.Django Unchained is scheduled to begin shooting in New Orleans next month, with a targeted release date of Christmas 2012.  

SlashFilm.com just posted that Kerry Washington will be playing Broomhilda, the wife of Jamie Fox's character Django. She is soooo hot. Looks like it boy Gordon Levitt is in the movie too...Link to story here.

And there you have it, folks. For the past several months we’ve watched as Quentin Tarantino filled seemingly every single role in his Django Unchained except the key character of Django’s wife Broomhilda — but the part remains empty no more. Kerry Washington has landed the female lead in the "Southern-fried spaghetti Western," in which she’ll star opposite Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, and many others. More details after the jump.

The character of Broomhilda is integral to the film, as it’s her horrible suffering that indirectly sets the rest of the plot in motion. The story sees Django (Foxx) teaming up with German dentist-turned-bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Waltz) to free Broomhilda from evil plantation owner Calvin Candie (DiCaprio).
Washington's casting doesn’t come as a huge surprise, as she’s been rumored for months; Deadline writes that Tarantino had her in mind since the beginning. However, Tarantino also flirted with the idea of casting an unknown in the female lead and even held a long casting search before ultimately coming back to Washington.
Washington joins an extensive and impressively talented cast that also includes Samuel L. Jackson, Gerald McRaney, Dennis Christopher, Laura Cayouette, Kurt Russell, Don Johnson, Tom Savini, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in addition to Foxx, Waltz, and DiCaprio.

Washington isn’t a huge name on the scale of some of her co-stars, but she’s been doing steady, respectable work in film and TV for the past decade or so. Django Unchained will mark a reunion for her and onscreen husband Foxx, with whom she previously starred in the critically acclaimed Ray. She’ll next appear in The Details opposite Tobey Maguire and Elizabeth Banks, and next year’s A Thousand Words with Eddie Murphy. She’s also set to star in ABC’s midseason Shonda Rhimes drama Scandal, as fixer Olivia Pope.

Django Unchained will begin shooting early next year for a Christmas 2012 release.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt confirmed.

He's in, after months of speculation.

He'll be playing the brother to Anthony LaPaglia's character.

This is going to an unreal film, with a better cast.

Full story here - http://bit.ly/uDzWBY

Director Quentin Tarantino has wrapped filming for his new movie, Django Unchained, in Wyoming, including a scene at the National Elk Refuge.
Via News One:

The crew saw the elk from the highway and asked for permission to have the actors walking and riding horses among the animals, refuge director Steve Kallin said. He said that was denied because it could have caused a disturbance but they were allowed to shoot some footage with elk and bison in the background at the refuge’s northern feedground.

“We did have very tightly controlled access and ensured there was no disturbance to the elk or bison,â€

Back
Top Bottom