Question about medical marijuana card... (California)

A friend of mine and I were having a discussion earlier today about this as he is considering getting the card. He asked my opinion on the matter and I toldhim I thought it was potentially a bad idea for a couple of reasons, though I am no expert on the topic and have some questions myself. Maybe someone can shedsome light on this for me.

1) If you are drug tested at work and you have the card are you legally entitled to any protection from retribution from a failed test? Just because you testpositive does not mean you were high on the job, but as far as I am sure there is no way to prove this, as might be the case with alcohol. So how does oneprotect themselves in this case?

2) Although Obama and Attorney General Holder have said he will not have the D.E.A. raid dispenceries, as recently as March, D.E.A. agents raided a SanFrancisco pot club.
http://www.nowpublic.com/...ijuana-dispensary-raided
...this is what is frightening to me. The D.E.A. raids a club, takes the computer and accesses the hard-drive with thousands of names of everyday citizens,potentially building a Federal database and possible legal cases against medical marijuana advocates and users. If charges were brought against those on thelists (however unlikely this scenario may be), the ramifications could be huge. One might be overlooked for a job, have car and life insurance canceled ordenied, etc.

3) In the United States we have HIPPA guidlines in place to protect the privacy and sanctity of our health information. I work in the health care field myself,yet am unsure whether or not a federal database of marijuana use would violate such protections.

If anyone has an opinion or some insight, I would greatly appreciate a response!

Cheers,
Furby

even tho cali is straight with it the fed gov isnt, so it def isnt easy, i watched a long documentary on it, they can still mess u up and throw u in jail etc.

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

even tho cali is straight with it the fed gov isnt, so it def isnt easy, i watched a long documentary on it, they can still mess u up and throw u in jail etc.

This is what I'm worried about. Just a little too risky for me! Anyone else have any insight?

Back
Top Bottom