Question about natural protein sources besides meats. Also have an egg question.

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by abernja, Dec 15, 2009.

1. abernja

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm a vegetarian so I can't get my protein from meats. I don't want to take any supplements either.

Basically I get all my protein from...
    Eggs, Cheese, Nuts, Whole Grains, VegeMeats, Peanut Butter, Cottage Cheese, and Yogurt.

Any other vegetarian sources of protein I'm forgetting?

As far as eggs go I'm going to try and eat egg whites everyday. Well after an hour peeling eggs in the kitchen I decided that sucks. So would I get thesame amount of protein if I just cracked the egg and took out the yolk then cooked it? Would a cooked egg provide the same protein as if it were hard boiled?(I know it's prob a dumb question, but you never know.) I don't eat the yolks due to the large amount of cholesterol.

Lastly I only weigh 132lbs and I'm 6ft tall. Think of me as a shorter Shawn Bradley......[​IMG] lol

How many egg whites is TOO much for one day?
  2. erascism

Jan 31, 2008
    Animal sources of protein are not the healthiest way to go. You should read The China Study, discusses the correlation between animal protein consumptionand cancer.

All those protein sources you listed are almost all high in fat, too. All your body needs are amino acids which you can get plenty by eating a varietyof fruits, veggies, legumes. Amino acids are in everything and the more you get from raw foods, the more assimilable they will be. A diet that consistsof 15% protein is ideal for strength and endurance athletes.
  3. ballind

Sep 27, 2006
    Cottage cheese, good way to go. Either plain or the ones that have fruit in it.
  4. c5a5d5a5

May 9, 2006
    132lbs? sheesh.

eat the yolks.

Dont worry about eating this or that just eat and eat often.