Question for anyone 21-25: You feel like time's running out?

Originally Posted by dreClark

I used to call 25 year old _'s 'Old' when I was like 17.

Now I'll be 25 in a couple months

embarassed.gif
tired.gif
laugh.gif
True

Originally Posted by Pretty Toney

Personally, I feel an increased pressure more and more each day to accomplish my goals ALOT quicker than I should be in fear of running out of time...and I'm 23 years old.

Naw yung...you OK.

I'm 28, my gramomma is 85, and everytime I talk to her she says the same thing - "Baby boy you so young and you got your whole life ahead ofyou."

Do I feel old? No.

Do I feel a lot more mature than I did at 21, 22, 25? Hell yeah.

Am I about to go to some club that's 18 to get in, 21 to drink? No. Do I really give two #+#!% about the "Stanky Leg", what kinda chain Gucci goton, or coppin' some Yeezys? Not really. Do I really care about what someone else may think of me? Outside of my profession, no.

My dude, your time isn't running out at all. My homegirl is 38 and she just graduated law school. This summer I'm about to be the Best Man in my bestfriend's wedding - do I feel the rush to follow suit and run down the aisle too? No.

There's no timeline on what you're supposed to be doing and when - just do you.

Don't spend your 20s worrying.

Post-college, there's a re-adjustment to your perception of life and to your expectations.

You'll be mentally crushed under the weight of society's benchmarks if you allow it. Don't.

Stay positive, stay focused, and do not chain yourself to time/achievement deadlines. You're setting yourself up to be detrimentally discouraged.

Enjoy each day and don't whine about your current age and wish you could go back to a younger one. If you're 23, for example, and you do that, five or10 years from now you'd look back at 23 and see you had nothing to really complain about, that 23 wasn't bad at all.

Live your life, enjoy it, and try your best. That's all you can humanly do anyway.

Don't put pressure on yourself, whatever your age. No one follows the same plan someone else does.

I'm trying to avoid the same thing.

I just have to live my life on my own terms. Do what makes me happy, don't let my age hold me back in anything I do.

I'll never be too old or young for anything.

That's just what I want to say and think.

I'm freaking out in reality though
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Yea bro... I know what you mean, I went through that phase when I turned 23-24... Its that early 20's crisis, I remember breaking down because I wasn't where I pictured myself being at 24... rough time
smh.gif
two yrs later I've matured a little bit and realized that I can't worry myself with whats not happening for me right now but what is...

Damn. Thats exactly how i was feelin'.
tired.gif

i'm 25 ... i feel old in a sense ... but at the same time its not that serious ...

i would like to have more fun but at the same time i got more responsibilities now ... make the most of each stage in life ...

I know how you feel, but there's a lot more to look forward to. Each of us has our own path in life.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

Don't spend your 20s worrying.

Post-college, there's a re-adjustment to your perception of life and to your expectations.

You'll be mentally crushed under the weight of society's benchmarks if you allow it. Don't.

Stay positive, stay focused, and do not chain yourself to time/achievement deadlines. You're setting yourself up to be detrimentally discouraged.

Enjoy each day and don't whine about your current age and wish you could go back to a younger one. If you're 23, for example, and you do that, five or 10 years from now you'd look back at 23 and see you had nothing to really complain about, that 23 wasn't bad at all.

Live your life, enjoy it, and try your best. That's all you can humanly do anyway.

Don't put pressure on yourself, whatever your age. No one follows the same plan someone else does.

close thread.

I am 19. I graduate when I turn 20. I have achieved everything I could dream of achieving in my life all thanks to G-d but I won't be rested until I buy mymother that house she has always wanted. And that is that.

yep

havent reached any of my goals.......not where i thought i would be at this point in my life. i feel like the window of opportunity is closing, hell its almostslammed shut. if i give up now though on a dream i will be a quitter, and i cant deal with quitting something in my life again. i wont HAve anything to livefor if i dont do the only thing i want to. maybe i should stop lookin at others and sayin "theyre doin this and that and younger than i am" andrealize everything is different for different people. all the things that have happened to me in the past few years that have set me back, itsfrustrating........\

tired.gif

i feel where you're coming from OP. i feel like my prime is now. when i get to be 30, i feel like from then life goes down hill. your physical prime isgone. looks start to go south. sex drive starts to go south. etc

i feel the same way... i don't like knowing that my best days are behind me. i'm 21 and i feel too old to associate with other young people, but tooyoung to associate with the "grown" crowd. i feel like the points in my life that i had the opportunity to enjoy my life are now replaced byresponsibility and work.

I just turned 21 in January and I feel like my life is just beginning...I see what you're talking about in terms of age but thats society doing that...Youlive your life the best way you know how and don't let that stuff trip you up.

And for everyone who feels this way because they don't want to do the same things they were doing 1 year ago...its called maturity and congrats if you ableto endure it.

Turned 21 in December. I have this independence issue. I just began school after a two year hiatus due to certain circumstances. Working at a boring, low-ratejob but hey, it's the best I can do for now. My issue is of course that materialistic @%$ that we all live with. Like Nas said "Dear God I want theRiches". I felt like I had so much potential when I was about 14-15 years old, lost track around about 17 years old when I was a high school senior andnow Im trying to make up for lost time. It's like I get blinded by something but when it's all said and done, I want to make my moms proud. Honestly,I was so envious of the kids that went out to great institutes while I was stuck home working when I was 18-20 y/o. I felt like I couldve been in collegepartying it up and networking with all sorts of peoples. Now? I have a very carefreee attitude. Sometimes, I think I rely on my family too much but when Ithink about it, that's what families for. So now, I think I will be able to have moms and grams retire and support them when I start that business after Igraduate college when Im about 25. I think once I hit 25/26, that's when my life will really take a turn for the better because the work Im puttin in nowwill pay off. We shall see...

you jus gotta do what you can, and when you have done that try and do a lil more. over time it will all add up and you will have pulled away from where youfirst started. dunt always let age define how far you should be in life. jus always strive to progress, even if its at a slower pace then others around you.its not a competition...

Nope. I mean there is a lot I want out of life and the sooner the better. But. I want to do it right. Like home ownership, there's a reason we are in thisforclosure crisis and what not. All in due time.

I did just get a puppy, that was high on my list
smile.gif
keep some of your wants simplistic, makes life more enjoyable

Originally Posted by numbah1grimey

Turned 21 in December. I have this independence issue. I just began school after a two year hiatus due to certain circumstances. Working at a boring, low-rate job but hey, it's the best I can do for now. My issue is of course that materialistic @%$ that we all live with. Like Nas said "Dear God I want the Riches". I felt like I had so much potential when I was about 14-15 years old, lost track around about 17 years old when I was a high school senior and now Im trying to make up for lost time. It's like I get blinded by something but when it's all said and done, I want to make my moms proud. Honestly, I was so envious of the kids that went out to great institutes while I was stuck home working when I was 18-20 y/o. I felt like I couldve been in college partying it up and networking with all sorts of peoples. Now? I have a very carefreee attitude. Sometimes, I think I rely on my family too much but when I think about it, that's what families for. So now, I think I will be able to have moms and grams retire and support them when I start that business after I graduate college when Im about 25. I think once I hit 25/26, that's when my life will really take a turn for the better because the work Im puttin in now will pay off. We shall see...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Subtract a couple differences here and there...but our stories are almost spot on.

I'll be 27 next February. When I see my cousins graduating high school.........I feel old as dirt. But getting older is a beautiful thing. There are manypeople that don't even get to see 26 or even younger. You just got to be happy and grateful to still be here. Nothing on Earth lasts forever.

The reality is if you go to college, you will just be starting in your career at 23-25...that's with just a bachelors degree. If you pursue a graduatedegree it will be later than that. Most jobs coming out of college will be entry level positions, depending on the field. I think people are jaded by what themedia feeds us. The media continues to feed us young and rich, but with the exception of actors, athletes and musicians, it is a process...if you take a stepback and look at the percentages of success stories in each of those fields you would realize that very few are doing all that much better than the averageperson.
I am 29 and still feel like I "got it". I feel like I have accomplished a lot and enjoyed the ride. I haven't made millions, but I have madeenough and I think that's what it is really about. I realize that I won't have an Aston Martin by the time I'm 30, but I have a clean BenzCLK430(it's a 1999), but it was one of those cars I dreamed about in college. I just sold my town home and am going to rent a house for a year before Imove into a bigger house. I want at least 3000 sq.ft. I am married, have a 11 month old daughter...life is good to me. You won't see me on MTV Cribs, butI'm cool with mine. Just let life come to you...work hard and I think you will be happy...it won't always be easy, but it passes faster than yourealize.

I feel you OP. I'll be 23 this year, just graduated from college, commissioned as an Air Force officer, and heading to law school in the fall. I knowI've accomplished a lot in life so far, but I can't help envying my friends who are getting into careers, making money, getting married. I mean, mygrandparents had my mom when they were 20, and my parents got married at 22. It's the marriage/family thing that's getting to me now - especially sinceso many friends have already or are about to get married.

Some great advice in this thread though. I just wish time wouldn't go by so fast. Seems literally like yesterday that I was in high school.

Ya I think about this a lot too, i'm 24 goin on 25 this year...and I have nothing really to show but a college degree... :/

Back
Top Bottom