Question for anyone 21-25: You feel like time's running out?

1984 stand up! Lol. I'l be a "quarter of a century" this December. I got a degree and will be starting my teaching career this year. I feel good about where I'm at. Before my dad passed he told my mom that he knew I was READY for life. And I am...everything I do will be in his honor. And when I hit the grave I want to be empty of all my gifts. And only God knows how old I will be. My pops lived to see 60, it hit me that I could die in 30 years. In my eyes he lived a long and successful life. He saw all 3 of his children graduate college. So I just want to live it up and stay young while I'm still here.
Thats wassup, turning 25 in December also so if OP can change the title to like "21-28" I would feel a lil better
laugh.gif

I have homies that think like this and sometimes they suck me into their way of thinking and I start worrying like I have not done enough in my time. But atthe end of the day, you gotta do you and the best you can and good things will come. Shoot that's at least what i tell myself
laugh.gif

Good luck to you bro it seems like you got a good head on your shoulders, just keep grindin and youll have what your looking for soon enough.

this relates to my female rotten egg syndrome. i dont care that some of my friends are married. im not worried, i like where im at now and have no complaintsor regrets.

Your friends may be making 60-80k per year out of college, been collecting bonuses and nice raises, etc. But it's not who comes out the blocks first,it's who finishes the race the strongest.

Life is a 40 year race after college. 21-25, you still have time to catch up and surpass.

It's allll about your frame of mind homie. You have to realize that our generation will probably be around until at least our 80's. Probably longer.We're barely 1/4 into our life span.

Don't use others as a barometer of where you are. Just like WCG said, don't get sucked into thinking like that. If all else fails, it might not hurt topick up leave and try to find something elsewhere...Really though, it's all about your state of mind. You'll be fine bro.

I think you feel time is "running out" when you are either not doing anything productive with your life or when you compare your life to others whoare doing big things in their lives

I'm turning 23 in Oct I feel like there is still time. No matter what your age is there is a chance for greatness. Pure bliss is reachable, I justhaven't grabbed onto it. I'm just living having fun.

I think we're all there, for the most part.

It's a matter of not allowing society and the prevailing mainstream philosophy steer you from your own personal beliefs. You've gotta "have the courage of your convictions." It's a supremely simple idea, but to actually instill it in your life isvery hard to do.

There's a confidence that exists that goes beyond that shallow "swagger" that cats are so obsessed with nowadays. Find that confidence and allowit to guide you in your everyday life.

I had a depressing moment at 24 because I wasn't where should be in life; whereever that was suppose to be. However, years later and looking back, I'min a better place and appreciate the journey. My cousin achieved a lot by 25, M.A., job etc..and once he hit 30, he felt like "what do I do next"?

real talk... lots of good advice in this thread

good thing i havent hit that age range yet, so lots more to do and learn!!!

yep i think about this all the time

especially about getting my degree

im way behind and thought i would have it by now

Originally Posted by phaze1123

The reality is if you go to college, you will just be starting in your career at 23-25...that's with just a bachelors degree. If you pursue a graduate degree it will be later than that. Most jobs coming out of college will be entry level positions, depending on the field. I think people are jaded by what the media feeds us. The media continues to feed us young and rich, but with the exception of actors, athletes and musicians, it is a process...if you take a step back and look at the percentages of success stories in each of those fields you would realize that very few are doing all that much better than the average person.
I am 29 and still feel like I "got it". I feel like I have accomplished a lot and enjoyed the ride. I haven't made millions, but I have made enough and I think that's what it is really about. I realize that I won't have an Aston Martin by the time I'm 30, but I have a clean Benz CLK430(it's a 1999), but it was one of those cars I dreamed about in college. I just sold my town home and am going to rent a house for a year before I move into a bigger house. I want at least 3000 sq.ft. I am married, have a 11 month old daughter...life is good to me. You won't see me on MTV Cribs, but I'm cool with mine. Just let life come to you...work hard and I think you will be happy...it won't always be easy, but it passes faster than you realize.

good post, I feel you

I'm 23 turning 24 this year, and I feel like I haven't even hit my prime yet(feel like 29-30 will be
smokin.gif
)
I still have a lot of plans for myself & know things are going to get even better. We all have our complaints, but sometimes I think we don't reallyrealize how good we all have it.

Originally Posted by FinesseSosa

Originally Posted by Qpitfighter

I'm 28 about to be 29. I guess that makes me old. You guys have to relax. I still go out to bars, meet girls all that good stuff. Only difference between now and 5 years ago is that I have a stable income and much more managable debt. Also, I'm more of a predator now when it comes to women instead of a scavenger.

Age ain't nothing but a number.
See. This is why i don't worry. If everyone looked at it like how Qpit is, you'd be a lot more stable.

Everyone cant be that 21 year old young dude with a BMW/Benz and a bachelor pad
laugh.gif
and has money out the ++$. I thought it would be like that when i was 15.

true

Well I've lived both sides of that coin...by 22 (year and half ago) I had a rent to own condo a good job and a nice truck...I been living on my ownsince 17 years old. It's not what it's all cracked up to be...my social life suffered because my peers were NO WHERE NEAR the materialistic successI've reached so our friendships suffered alot because they couldn't understand RESPONSIBILITIES. My sex life was
pimp.gif
but at the same time
smh.gif
because to female my age I was "a catch" so they where trying to"trap" me. Now I'm back in college and there's 18-19 year olds having the best time of their life...I realized those are years I can'tget back....Now even my professor which is a
pimp.gif
28 year old Indian chicksays I act too young for my age, I told her infront of the class what I typed above. I told her I will not become a casualty of society trying to "GROWUP" too fast....30 is hardly old, Will Smith is 43 and is in better shap that me....I don't know about everyone else but I'm living.

WALE- 28
KID CUDI -26
CURRENSY -28
LIL WAYNE - 26

.....the list goes on.

Originally Posted by Pretty Toney

Personally, I feel an increased pressure more and more each day to accomplish my goals ALOT quicker than I should be in fear of running out of time...and I'm 23 years old. I feel like if I don't buy that loft or that house...that foreign luxury vehicle...or reach that financial pinnacle before I see 30 that I failed.
I feel that way, except not failed, but my goals being pushed back... I'm 23 got one year of college under my belt and i am looking to go backlater this year if i can get this house i put an offer on. So all i would need would be that job and i'm in a good position. Already got the fam set up.

Time is short, best to achieve goals early and reap the benefits later imo

Welcome to the inclination of a quarter life crisis....everyone lets give the OP a round of applause and a pat on the back......I have a few friends who arepsychologists or whos parents are psychologists and its a modern phenomena that is taking place all over the United States. The upside is that you will soonsee, is that as you are progressing into your 30's you will see that all those things that you want and are depressed over dont really matter.

Everyone hold your breath for a second while I say this, but life is more than cribs, whips and chicks (its is about jordans though, I was surprised as well tofind that one out). I personally had the same thing happen to me and I quickly looked around and noticed that everyone is in the same position. Also, TV morethan ever has set up an image of "what you have to be", we are shown images of young adults doing some very grown things which we all want areexpecting to happen. Its funny that you bring this up because I was thinking of the old thread "what you expect to make right out of college" andwhat you are going through feeds directly into that old thread. Kids expecting a ton of cash right out of college (didnt one kid say that if he made less than100k his first year out he would be disappointed?) to buy all these things that they feel they need to validate themselves to their friends and family. We allcame up in the age of "LETS GET THIS MONEY!!!", the puffy dance (take that take that take that) and Ben Baller type ICE. Thats why when homeboyposted the pics in the other thread about his new GT-R people where hating so hard. BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE IT!!!!!

So in closing here are some things that will both help and bother you,
1. You dont need tons of bread to be happy, and you are young bro you will have tons of time to make cash and "make it rain" if you want to
2. You will go through this again at 50 when you are actually old and not just perceiving yourself as old
3. You will see that family first is more than just a saying
4. You class, station or rank means more to you than it means to others

but I could be full of it.......

Nope didn't fall into the young, rich and fast trap. Be 21 by July.
My mother slapped reality into my brain before I started high school.
I was 14 and was ready too start up a boutique, went to young biz camp, and had investors lined up and everything.
I'm happy she stopped me because now I know I hate that entire industry and would have been miserable.
As far as acquiring material goods , the only thing I care about getting before 30 is my "perfect" home.
Thats what love to do well, creative living, interior decorating, landscaping, and home repair. lol...My "perfect" project in the "perfect"location.

Originally Posted by FaMs

Well I've lived both sides of that coin...by 22 (year and half ago) I had a rent to own condo a good job and a nice truck...I been living on my own since 17 years old. It's not what it's all cracked up to be...my social life suffered because my peers were NO WHERE NEAR the materialistic success I've reached so our friendships suffered alot because they couldn't understand RESPONSIBILITIES. My sex life was
pimp.gif
but at the same time
smh.gif
because to female my age I was "a catch" so they where trying to "trap" me. Now I'm back in college and there's 18-19 year olds having the best time of their life...I realized those are years I can't get back....Now even my professor which is a
pimp.gif
28 year old Indian chick says I act too young for my age, I told her infront of the class what I typed above. I told her I will not become a casualty of society trying to "GROW UP" too fast....30 is hardly old, Will Smith is 43 and is in better shap that me....I don't know about everyone else but I'm living.

WALE- 28
KID CUDI -26
CURRENSY -28
LIL WAYNE - 26

.....the list goes on.

Wale is 24

Originally Posted by blacklion23

I feel the same way. If I haven't made anything of myself by 30 I've failed. I'm still trying to figure out what I to do. I don't want to be thirty plus still working a 9 to 5.

ugh, having kids and being married would suck.

society has to much of a hive mind.

who cares about having all that stuff?

that's why people marry people they don't really want to.

it's stupid

comforting to know theres other f' ups out there aswel
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

nah, i can relate with this thread. My head all over the place at the moment with regard to what i want out of life. I'm sure i'll figure it outeventually and slap myself for sweatin over it.

Nah..I'm 21 and I'm gonna just keep as much of an optimistic look on life as I can..I believe things line up in front of you the way they do for areason. Ever since I started exercise again and finally eating right daily..got a nice truck, no family problems in a while..and I finally got my job back..Godhas a diff plan for everyone..you just gotta be patient. No sense in dwelling on the negatives when there's so many more positives out there.

Back
Top Bottom